News Article: Fedor unhappy

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
I believe that the reason for such rapid decline in his performance is mental. Ok, sure, he doesn't get any younger, but to fail so miserably? From his interview I get the feeling that he feels...lonely, for the lack of better word.
He must be dumped, no question about it. Don't think anybody would want him, so, I suspect buyout and departure to KHL.

I disagree mostly.

He simply has lost too much speed to be a competitive player in the NHL. While never fleet of foot, he skates like he is pulling a sled. His play has not been bad IMO, but he is getting beat to pucks badly by guys far too often. Many times on TV, he gets beat to the puck by a guy who is not even on the screen when he starts to play.

If he was skating like fedor of 2 years ago, he would be playing tonight. Dude has hit the wall. Probably hit it last year, but this year it's painfully obvious.

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
I didn't get where he is unhappy (you really can't read emotion from text).

My opinion is that he's very deferential to others (ask somebody else). Not sure how well this was translated but he doesn't seem to use words that describe any emotion and keeps that very close.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I disagree mostly.

He simply has lost too much speed to be a competitive player in the NHL. While never fleet of foot, he skates like he is pulling a sled. His play has not been bad IMO, but he is getting beat to pucks badly by guys far too often. Many times on TV, he gets beat to the puck by a guy who is not even on the screen when he starts to play.

If he was skating like fedor of 2 years ago, he would be playing tonight. Dude has hit the wall. Probably hit it last year, but this year it's painfully obvious.

He has turned into Scott Lachance.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I dont see how this is torts being a bully... is it bullying when he scratches boll or clarkson when healthy? Hes just not the same player he used to be and is being out played. Jones/jj/murray/savard/golo are all playing levels above him and hes been probably on par with falk and prout which is not a compliment. He is honestly the only player not named Clarkson that is signed past this season that is not here next year. Every prospect Dman we have would be a better option.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Scott Lachance played 138 games for the CBJ and scored FIVE points. It is nearly impossible to score at that low of a rate, even as a defenseman. Hell, he might win my personal "most hated CBJ person" poll.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Scott Lachance played 138 games for the CBJ and scored FIVE points. It is nearly impossible to score at that low of a rate, even as a defenseman. Hell, he might win my personal "most hated CBJ person" poll.

And when the 2005 CBA was enacted with buyout provisions (which hadn't existed previously), each team was given compliance buyouts. Lachance was obviously on a chopping block.

Choice quotes from the time:
"I don't know which way the Blue Jackets are leaning, but it's not like you can just go out and find a defenseman that easily.''

"Most of the guys you see getting bought out are in the $3 million to $5 million range, and I'm not up there. Plus, it doesn't seem like Columbus is in a position to be buying anybody out.''

Of course, this also sums up MacLean's entire tenure right here:
Former Blue Jackets forward Ray Whitney was one of three players placed on waivers Monday by the Detroit Red Wings.

Unless he's claimed off waivers -- highly unlikely, considering a team would assume his $2.66 million price tag -- the Red Wings will buy out Whitney's contract by week's end.

"It's the one time in your career you know it's business related, not hockey related,'' Whitney said, referring to the new $39 million salary cap that has teams like Detroit slashing payroll.

"The tough part is having to move the family again. That's never very much fun.''

Would he consider a return to the Blue Jackets?

"Absolutely. My wife and I have talked about that already,'' Whitney said.

Whitney, 33, signed with the Red Wings following the 2002-03 season, when the Blue Jackets declined to offer him a contract longer than three years. He got a four-year deal from the Wings.

"Other than that extra contract year, there's nothing at all that made me want to leave Columbus,'' he said. "We absolutely loved it there.''

Whitney's 76 points with the Blue Jackets in 2002-03 (24 goals, 52 assists) remain a franchise record. Thanks in large part to Whitney, the team's power play finished 12th in the NHL that season.

Fond memories aside, it seems unlikely Whitney will return to the Blue Jackets.

MacLean repeated yesterday his hope of giving younger players -- Dan Fritsche, Alexander Picard, Tim Jackman, Jaroslav Balastik, etc. -- a chance to play in the NHL.

LACHANCE NOT CONCERNED ABOUT BUYOUT POSSIBILITY
Columbus Dispatch, The (OH) - Wednesday, July 27, 2005
Aaron Portzline

Whitney's next seven years in the NHL, by the way, saw him put up 160 goals and 468 points in 529 games.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I believe that the reason for such rapid decline in his performance is mental. Ok, sure, he doesn't get any younger, but to fail so miserably? From his interview I get the feeling that he feels...lonely, for the lack of better word.
He must be dumped, no question about it. Don't think anybody would want him, so, I suspect buyout and departure to KHL.

Tyutin came over and played in the OHL, so he's not the type of Russian player who only speaks Russian and only has a circle of friends who are Russian. His wife is from Ontario.

You compare him to what happened with Jan Hejda this season - went from having a regular spot in the NHL to no contract in one year, and that's got to be a difficult situation. Jan has a wife and kids in Colorado, probably had offers from Europe, but would have to travel overseas without them. Hejda is 5 years older, but the writing on the wall is there for Tyutin that he's likely going to get traded and who knows what next season holds. Not a great situation for a family.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Tyutin came over and played in the OHL, so he's not the type of Russian player who only speaks Russian and only has a circle of friends who are Russian. His wife is from Ontario.

You compare him to what happened with Jan Hejda this season - went from having a regular spot in the NHL to no contract in one year, and that's got to be a difficult situation. Jan has a wife and kids in Colorado, probably had offers from Europe, but would have to travel overseas without them. Hejda is 5 years older, but the writing on the wall is there for Tyutin that he's likely going to get traded and who knows what next season holds. Not a great situation for a family.
"Fedor is zero maintenance," said St. Louis Blues president John Davidson, the former Rangers and national television analyst. "He went out of his way to learn English and develop relationships with teammates. He is a first-class kid."

Just to add on to the bolded. Quote from JD is from 2008 when we traded for Tyuts.

Light the Lamp

Apr 21, 2015
Dear Fedor,

The people paying your salary are not happy either.

Signed,
Paying 41 game season ticket holder

Valdiz

Apr 4, 2015
Moscow

Googled a bit about Hejda, well, yeah, I guess I did. More so because of forseeable offers from KHL in the nearest future (just my opinion of a possibility).
I may be trying to find a black cat in a dark room with Tyuts's mental state. But something in that interview is just off, a sense of frustration & glumness. Maybe he actually realizes that he's become worse?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
When I read the thread title, it makes me think of this every time:

django-bluray.jpg

vertigo1061

Jan 10, 2016
Tyutin has really lost a step and it shows. I'm sorry if he's unhappy, but he gets paid a helluva lot more to be unhappy than I do. Hopefully we can move his contract before next season.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Tyutin has really lost a step and it shows. I'm sorry if he's unhappy, but he gets paid a helluva lot more to be unhappy than I do. Hopefully we can move his contract before next season.

This may be true, but I sure as hell don't sit him in the press box, and play Prout and Faulk instead.

Those two are unmitigated disasters!

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Tyutin is a sneak preview of the long term contracted forwards corps on this team.

Forwards tend to peak in their points performance at 29 or so, elite forwards earlier.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/when-nhl-players-peak-hockey-metrics-1.2646054

Here's what the contract/age situation looks like after the current season:

Hartnell 3 more years ...age 33-36 $4.75m/yr
Clarkson 4 more years.........age 31-35 $5.25m/yr.
Foligno 5 more years...........age 28-33 $5.5m/yr.
Dubinsky 5 more years..........age 29-34 $5.85m/yr.

$21 million per year on forwards who are all past their prime. Dubinsky and Foligno could fall off a cliff ala Tyutin at any time. Hartnell as well. Clarkson already fell off of a cliff. Of particular note is that Dubinsky and Foligno were signed to long term, big money deals AFTER they could have been reasonably expected to peak. Foligno no doubt has (last year) and Dubinsky's "peak" might be the paltry 54 points he had in 2010-11. That ranked him 32nd among centers in the NHL that year. Not even a #1C at his peak.

30% of the salary cap is in these four players.

Tyutin is essentially worthless at this point. While it's not the current FOs fault that he was signed to a contract of its length, they completely missed the window of opportunity to ship him when it became obvious that his skills were deteriorating. Watching him daily in practice, seeing the results of physical testing should have given them a heads up on his impending decline.

So, the front office has done a very poor job with divvying out and accumulating/retaining contracts from an age/performance risk perspective. Not one of the players on long term, big money contracts is elite. Not one of them has long time standing in Columbus which makes declining performance acceptable from a "loyalty" perspective. Perhaps Boll's does, but his is a penny ante contract.

The pie in the sky expectations of the young defensemen, even if they come close to materializing, will coincide with a massive drop off in the performances of Dubinsky and Foligno in all probability. Bobrovsky will be in decline at that time as well-he may already be and was signed to his $30 million 4 year deal after his peak.

This team is constructed very poorly on so many levels.

Dednimnepo

Winning is the Fun
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus
I may be trying to find a black cat in a dark room with Tyuts's mental state. But something in that interview is just off, a sense of frustration & glumness. Maybe he actually realizes that he's become worse?

I concur. I'm not saying he'll get back all of the speed he's lost, but, mental state effects reaction time, reaction time effects first step, first step effects speed to the puck. I think he's done here but not a lost value somewhere else.

Slow doesn't make you stupid I think I'd rather have Tyutin and Hedja in street shoes than One Punch and F**k on the ice.

vertigo1061

Jan 10, 2016
Tyutin is a sneak preview of the long term contracted forwards corps on this team.

Forwards tend to peak in their points performance at 29 or so, elite forwards earlier.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/when-nhl-players-peak-hockey-metrics-1.2646054

Here's what the contract/age situation looks like after the current season:

Hartnell 3 more years ...age 33-36 $4.75m/yr
Clarkson 4 more years.........age 31-35 $5.25m/yr.
Foligno 5 more years...........age 28-33 $5.5m/yr.
Dubinsky 5 more years..........age 29-34 $5.85m/yr.

$21 million per year on forwards who are all past their prime. Dubinsky and Foligno could fall off a cliff ala Tyutin at any time. Hartnell as well. Clarkson already fell off of a cliff. Of particular note is that Dubinsky and Foligno were signed to long term, big money deals AFTER they could have been reasonably expected to peak. Foligno no doubt has (last year) and Dubinsky's "peak" might be the paltry 54 points he had in 2010-11. That ranked him 32nd among centers in the NHL that year. Not even a #1C at his peak.

30% of the salary cap is in these four players.

Tyutin is essentially worthless at this point. While it's not the current FOs fault that he was signed to a contract of its length, they completely missed the window of opportunity to ship him when it became obvious that his skills were deteriorating. Watching him daily in practice, seeing the results of physical testing should have given them a heads up on his impending decline.

So, the front office has done a very poor job with divvying out and accumulating/retaining contracts from an age/performance risk perspective. Not one of the players on long term, big money contracts is elite. Not one of them has long time standing in Columbus which makes declining performance acceptable from a "loyalty" perspective. Perhaps Boll's does, but his is a penny ante contract.

The pie in the sky expectations of the young defensemen, even if they come close to materializing, will coincide with a massive drop off in the performances of Dubinsky and Foligno in all probability. Bobrovsky will be in decline at that time as well-he may already be and was signed to his $30 million 4 year deal after his peak.

This team is constructed very poorly on so many levels.

Tyutin is still a serviceable bottom pairing guy, but the contract looks bad right now and that's more on Tyutin than anybody in management.

The decline argument has some merit for other players, but not really. Hartnell is 33 and still producing as well as he ever has. 28 goals last season and he's on pace for 27 this season. Clarkson is a contract we inherited to try and make the best of a bad situation with Nathan Horton.

Nick Foligno's contract was a genuine mistake, I think. I hate giving a guy a contract based on one good year and not the okay prior 7 seasons. But, he plays a sound defensive game and that isn't likely to go away so you get value there.

I don't have any issues with Duby's contract. He's a fantastic two way centerman and he brings it every night.

Looking at the roster based on % of the cap is always going to be a little misleading. Especially since the cap will likely continue to rise. As the cap rises so do contracts.

Hartnell's contract will likely be moved as well as Tyutin's (if they can). That leaves the top 3 Saad, Foligno, and Duby who are all still core pieces of this team for a few years. Jenner will likely get a bridge deal similar to RyJo's last deal, but perhaps slightly under depending on how the rest of his season goes. Murray and Jones will also likely get bridge deals to carry them to a point where the team is in better shape cap wise to give them bigger deals (aka after Tyuts/Johnson deals expire if they can't be moved).

major major

Feb 18, 2013
If you take that age/performance research seriously, which you should, you would note that d-men are at 90% of their peak from 24-34, and forwards are at 90% of their peak from 24-32. Jones and Murray will be in their prime window before Dubi and Foligno exit theirs. I am an advocate of building D first, before the forwards. But even though the Jackets didn't quite do that, I think it's hard to paint a bleak portrait of this hockey team's future. And if anything, youthful inconsistency is the biggest issue right now.

As for the critique of Jarmo's planning of the forwards, it's not fair to imagine he planned this out without having to deal with the Umberger and Horton debacles. And as for Dubinsky and Foligno, I'm pretty sure the FO expected at least a gradual decline for both over the course of the contracts. Otherwise both would be making $6m+. In Foligno's case they'd have to pay him significantly more if folks expected him to keep putting up 70+ points. Those aren't bad deals individually. I do agree that added with Saad we have more than enough big power forward contracts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad