News Article: Fedor unhappy

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Nick Foligno's contract was a genuine mistake, I think. I hate giving a guy a contract based on one good year and not the okay prior 7 seasons. But, he plays a sound defensive game and that isn't likely to go away so you get value there.

This is my least favorite NHL myth of the moment.

If they based the deal on that one good year he'd be making a lot more than he does.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

If they based the deal on that one good year he'd be making a lot more than he does.

As for the critique of Jarmo's planning of the forwards, it's not fair to imagine he planned this out without having to deal with the Umberger and Horton debacles. And as for Dubinsky and Foligno, I'm pretty sure the FO expected at least a gradual decline for both over the course of the contracts. Otherwise both would be making $6m+. In Foligno's case they'd have to pay him significantly more if folks expected him to keep putting up 70+ points.

You've really gone into overdrive with your defense of the front office of late.

Interesting that your hfboards account join date (month/year) coincides with Jarmo Kekalainen's hire. Coincidence, I'm sure.

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
You've really gone into overdrive with your defense of the front office of late.

Interesting that your hfboards account join date coincides EXACTLY with Jarmo Kekalainen's hire. Coincidence, I'm sure.

Your memory is almost as bad as your temper. I have numerous posts clamoring for Jarmo to be fired. All rescinded after he traded for Jones, of course. :D:D:D:D

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Your memory is almost as bad as your temper. I have numerous posts clamoring for Jarmo to be fired. All rescinded after he traded for Jones, of course. :D:D:D:D

Just having fun. An odd coincidence no doubt.

And I had recalled your call for his dismissals btw. Good cover move;).

vertigo1061

Jan 10, 2016

His cap hit jumped $2.5 mil/yr. That number isn't because of prior production. It's a result of having a very good year and the organization banking on him being able to continue that. They aren't paying him $5.5 mil to score 15 goals a year.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
His cap hit jumped $2.5 mil/yr. That number isn't because of prior production. It's a result of having a very good year and the organization banking on him being able to continue that. They aren't paying him $5.5 mil to score 15 goals a year.

No, they didn't bank on it. Take a look at what consistent 70 pt scorers make in the NHL these days. $8m-$10.5m.*

The salary is in line with a performance in between what he did in 2014-15 and what he did prior to that. If he consistently falls short of 55 pts I'll agree that it's an issue. But he's point-per-game since the start of December, so I'm not worried about it.

* I just checked and I actually understated it. Kane, Toews, and Kopitar have a combined 3 seasons in the last 5 years in which one of them has hit 70 pts.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014

I personally tend to be rather suspicious of arguments that fail to recognize that there is multi-million agent business that is also involved in these contracts and the player also has some input where he signs. As if the agents couldn't tell anything of the game and just stumbled upon these big, long-term deals that the front office foolishly gives away when they could just choose to pay small, sign long. Leaving part of the puzzle undone is one way of solving the puzzle.

I wouldn't have found it hard to believe that for example Foligno or Dubinsky couldn't from a competitive perspective say that the Columbus Blue Jackets aren't the most competitive team available if choosing unrestricted free agency over their current contracts. It would be also interesting to see on what kind of bargain deals they would be if the whole pay day scenario didn't happen anywhere during their career. Is there a guy in the whole, modern NHL that has went through a 'full' and healthy career without actually signing for good money while doing it.

cbjfan4life

Aug 2, 2005
"Fedor Tyutin Not Happy With Tortorella"

Judging by the number of healthy scratches Id wager Tortz isnt happy with Tyutin either.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Interesting that your hfboards account join date (month/year) coincides with Jarmo Kekalainen's hire. Coincidence, I'm sure.

Jarmo jarmo... sounds familiar? Or wait a minute... What did javelin throwing world champion Kimmo Kinnunen saw in the sauna? His father Jorma, once holder of the javelin throwing world record.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad