GDT: Feb 9th - Flames @ Sharks: 8:30pm (SNW)

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Another two points. Back up into 2nd in the Pacific.

thumbsupcomputerkid.gif

01d.gif

(Same kid as an adult)

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Great game. I almost skipped this one but I'm happy that I could't get any sleep this morning and got up for the game.

Couple of things... WTF with the Backlund penalty at the end of the third? Gamecenter feed showed replay where Backlund was tangled with sharks' player, some pushing and then the penalty was called. A commercial break followed and they didn't show any more replays and commentators didnt say anything about that penalty.

At first I didnt notice Gaudreau at all. I was kinda looking for "that smallish player" on the ice but he didnt stick out. Has he bulked up during the season, or was I just really tired... I mean when I finally noticed him on the ice he didnt look like the skinny guy I was able to recognize quite easily on the ice earlier this season. Common sense says that players usually bulk up on the off-season, but...:help:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Great game. I almost skipped this one but I'm happy that I could't get any sleep this morning and got up for the game.

Couple of things... WTF with the Backlund penalty at the end of the third? Gamecenter feed showed replay where Backlund was tangled with sharks' player, some pushing and then the penalty was called. A commercial break followed and they didn't show any more replays and commentators didnt say anything about that penalty.

At first I didnt notice Gaudreau at all. I was kinda looking for "that smallish player" on the ice but he didnt stick out. Has he bulked up during the season, or was I just really tired... I mean when I finally noticed him on the ice he didnt look like the skinny guy I was able to recognize quite easily on the ice earlier this season. Common sense says that players usually bulk up on the off-season, but...:help:
Gaudreau looks a bit smaller but not to the levels people have made it out to be. He may actually be bigger than Paul Byron

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Gaudreau looks a bit smaller but not to the levels people have made it out to be. He may actually be bigger than Paul Byron

I mean compared to 1-2 months ago. Like I said, I felt that I spotted Gaudreau easier because of his size earlier, and that didnt happen last night. So to my eyes he seemed bigger than before :D

No enough coffee might be the explanation

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Careful, people get sensitive about Glenx on this board. Everyone loves him :shakehead

More like he shouldn't be getting crapped on with every little thing he does. I am indifferent when it comes to Glencross. If he gets traded/doesn't re-sign, then enjoy your new team. If he re-signs with us, welcome back. He's still a serviceable middle 6 winger, but there is always one player that everyone needs to point fingers to.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Glencross is oddly polarizing, in that he's either capable of being criticized or held up as the difference between between the Flames and the Oilers.

He hasn't been good defensively this year, maybe because of injuries. But he has been oddly effective offensively.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
4th line last year was terrible. Westgarth, Mcgrattan...who was the other guy? Was it Stajan?

I don't even remember last year's 4th line :laugh:...

Wasn't it Westgarth - Bouma - McGrattan? Jeez. It wasn't Stajan, he just started playing 4th line minutes this year.

Aug 3, 2010
Glencross is oddly polarizing, in that he's either capable of being criticized or held up as the difference between between the Flames and the Oilers.

He hasn't been good defensively this year, maybe because of injuries. But he has been oddly effective offensively.

I honestly don't think he's great or terrible either way, especially now. But he plays an important role on the team, it seems - that of a Swiss Army Knife up and down the top three lines. It allows for Calgary's forward depth to breathe in that he is basically reliable enough for Hartley and co. to slot him in when another player is having an off night or simply not suited for a top-6 role.

I said it earlier - Glencross' presence allows the top 9 to bring their "team" game and work ethic on every line. The forwards, especially the younger ones, seem to play a calmer game with him in the lineup than without.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009

I actually think he has had a really solid year (best of his last two or three) but he is prone to making some ridiculously stupid plays at times that frustrate me to no end..

For example last night his line was caught out on the ice for an extended period of time and he had an opportunity with plenty of time and space in the neutral zone to skate the puck up to the redline and get it in deep. Instead he elects to stop moving his feet and sends a rocket of a pass at hip height that misses the target and results in an icing. The Flames would then proceed to lose the faceoff and be hemmed in their zone for an extended period of time.

Lazy plays like that have become a fairly frequent part of Glencross's game as of the past three years although I do think he has competed much harder in all three zones for the majority of the time this season.

I would not lose sleep over losing him but he is contributing at a decent level.

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012
Glencross is fine and is having a good year. But in terms of re-signing him, he's lost his luster now that he won't take a hometown discount.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad