Injury Report: Feb. 26: Kimmo Timonen [blood clot in leg]

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I just don't see it. PH was the gm last year now we've got a guy preaching patience with prospects. Morin being up this year would be a detriment to his offensive development IMO

This. Morin is going to be the lead dog in Rimouski this year and will probably be one of Team Canada's top six defenders at the WJC tournament. Hextall isn't going to mess around with that. Gut feeling says that if it's a given that Timonen won't return this year, Hextall reaches out to one of Michael Del Zotto, Raphael Diaz or even a Derek Morris to fill Timonen's role on the club this year.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Pitkanen may not ever be able to walk normally again let alone skate.

Yeah, that's messed up. I remember when that happened to former Washington Capitals forward Pat Peake. I think he played one game after his heel had "healed" and then called it a career because he was still suffering from immense pain.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don't know, I can see the loss of Timonen for a season as potentially being a huge blow to the team and could cost them a playoff spot. The D has zero margin for error right now; the loss of Coburn or Timonen is a disaster.

I know Timonen is an important player, even at his age, but the way I see it, if the Flyers are making the playoffs it was always going to be on the shoulders of the forwards and Mason, in spite of the defense and Emery. This will make it more difficult, but Timonen was also likely going to get pretty sheltered minutes this year, the same as whoever will be replacing him.

I hope that they let one of the defense prospects take the spot, assuming they earn it, so we don't go out and shoot ourselves in the foot with another FA contract for a player who isn't good.

I'd be far more worried if the injury was Coburn, Mason, or any forward to be honest...

Evergreen

are you sure 100% that he's done? because it's Timonen you never know.

Pitkanen on a tryout contract?

I'm pretty sure Pitkanen still can't put his foot in a skate due to the heel injury that caused him to miss the majority of the past two seasons.

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
This. Morin is going to be the lead dog in Rimouski this year and will probably be one of Team Canada's top six defenders at the WJC tournament. Hextall isn't going to mess around with that. Gut feeling says that if it's a given that Timonen won't return this year, Hextall reaches out to one of Michael Del Zotto, Raphael Diaz or even a Derek Morris to fill Timonen's role on the club this year.

Definitely agree with you.
However, we can't forget our current cap issues. If Kimmo is retired we start with the team we have most likely. I can see camp invites and promises for contracts after we get cap compliant.

Ps: very sad about Kimmo, biggest heart on the team. I still believe there's a chance he'll start the season, it's hard to count him out.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I really hope Hextall isn't stupid enough to grab one of the ****** D on the FA market... none of them have found a team for a reason.

And Eklund is already being a *******. Him saying Del Zotto is close to coming to Philly makes me feel more sure that he won't.

peedicrakk

Apr 13, 2014
ARDMORE, PA
This bummed me out so hard. Kimmo is by far my favorite Flyer and one of my all time favorites. Worked so hard for so long without the credit he deserves. Really sad that this is the way he's gotta go out but his long-term health is by far the number one priority here.

From a hockey standpoint I would really prefer to bring up one of Hagg, Alt or Gostisbehere to fill the empty spot. The Flyers aren't a Cup caliber team right now, I'd rather see one of those guys get some time than MDZ, Morris or someone else as a stop-gap. Unless they truly think it'll stunt Ghost/Hagg's development but I honestly don't see that.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If Kimmo retires or goes on LTIR all season Hextall should sign another defenseman on a one year deal. The young guys need to win a spot, not get one by default.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
I know Timonen is an important player, even at his age, but the way I see it, if the Flyers are making the playoffs it was always going to be on the shoulders of the forwards and Mason, in spite of the defense and Emery. This will make it more difficult, but Timonen was also likely going to get pretty sheltered minutes this year, the same as whoever will be replacing him.

I hope that they let one of the defense prospects take the spot, assuming they earn it, so we don't go out and shoot ourselves in the foot with another FA contract for a player who isn't good.

I'd be far more worried if the injury was Coburn, Mason, or any forward to be honest...

Last year, Kimmo faced the 2nd highest QoC behind only Coburn, and came out with a positive Corsi rating. His zone starts were favorable, at 55%, but I still don't think there's anybody in the system currently that can take those minutes and excel. I think if you put Streit there, and he's probably the most logical choice, he's going to struggle at times.

I think next season is really dependent on Couturier and Schenn taking big steps forward.

FlyersFanz

aut viam inveniam au
Jan 26, 2010
BlkVanOutsideUrHouse
Schultz is a #7 defensemen at this point in his career. If he's replacing Timonen we truly are ****ed & likely picking in the top 10 next draft which isn't necessarily a bad thing but it will be brutal to watch leading up to that point.

Didn't say replacing Timonen but with Kimmo out Schultz makes himself a 6th defender.
Only one on our D to replace Kimmo would be Coburn or Streit as far as experience and minutes go.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Terrible news. Losing Hartnell and Timonen in one summer is gut wrenching. I said it a couple weeks ago, but he's the only player who I get bummed about when I think he's retiring with no Cup. Nobody is more deserving.

I do think some are making too big a deal about the on-ice loss, though.

He played the fewest ES minutes with the most favorable zone starts of the D. I have a hard time thinking they will go out and make a move for someone to replace those minutes. Hagg, Gostisbehere, or Alt will get those minutes, and it will be good for whomever that is.

We'll feel the loss only on the PK. MacDonald is going to need to prove to be a reliable penalty killer. And Luke Schenn is going to need to have a strong year in that regard.

As sad as this is for sentimental reasons, I don't think it's very debilitating.

EDIT: I think Alt may make the most sense since he'd be a solid PK option. But I wouldn't be surprised if it's Ghost either. Actually, on second thought, the PP2 hole would be bigger to fill than the PK hole.

Last edited:

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I'm sad that kimmo is facing some serious health issues.

But I am also glad that it has come to this. I want kimmo to retire for numerous reasons. 1. he has nothing left to prove. 2. THe sooner he retires the quicker he will stop being a crutch for this team. I think it is time to start the youth movement on defense sooner rather than later and his illness is a starting point for that.

It will be intresting how we go about filling in his position. We could give MDZ a chance which is something I would be game for or we could start Hagg or Ghost in the NHL for the season and see if they sink or swim. Either way we get younger and more mobile on defense something we need to do.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Mark Alt, step on up. You're going to get a baptism by fire.....

Not really. Timonen's minutes haven't been very hard for a while. Playing 13:30 ES minutes and maybe a couple SH shifts per game is exactly the way you'd want Mark Alt to jump into the NHL.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Sucks for Kimmo. One of my all-time favorite players.

Let's take a step back from the ledge about losing him though. He was already playing some pretty limited ES minutes, and he was also probably getting replaced by Streit on the first powerplay unit. Schenn is going to have to take on a more prominent role on the PK now, which he may have had to do anyway. The biggest loss will be on the second PP unit. We only have one defenseman on the roster that's capable of not looking like a dumpster fire on the powerplay.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think the biggest loss is those 13 ES minutes where Kimmo put up a 55 CF%.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Last year, Kimmo faced the 2nd highest QoC behind only Coburn, and came out with a positive Corsi rating. His zone starts were favorable, at 55%, but I still don't think there's anybody in the system currently that can take those minutes and excel. I think if you put Streit there, and he's probably the most logical choice, he's going to struggle at times.

I think next season is really dependent on Couturier and Schenn taking big steps forward.

I don't know, I thought Streit was our best defenseman last year. I don't think he'd have trouble with Kimmo's minutes. I mean, Kimmo struggled at times too. He had clearly lost a step.

As far as a replacement for Kimmo if he doesn't return, I'd prefer to bring someone like Alt/Hagg/Ghost up, but if we have to sign someone I'd like to give MDZ a shot on a one year deal.

I guess something like this (I don't know for sure which side each guy plays):
Coburn - Streit
Schenn - MacD
Grossmann - MDZ

Pretty bad looking TBH. I'd say all of Coburn, Streit and MacD are top 4 guys, with Coburn being the only legit top pairing guy but I don't know if I trust Schenn with top 4 minutes. Also Grossmann straight shouldn't have a spot on the team if we already have Schenn. MDZ.. is terrible defensively, but I'd give him a shot on a 1 year deal. He's looked good in the past and we need someone who can move the puck.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I think the biggest loss is those 13 ES minutes where Kimmo put up a 55 CF%.

Yes, he was effective in those minutes but consider who he was playing with. He played the fewest minutes with the Simmonds, Schenn, Lecavalier line of all our defenders.

I'm not going to say it won't be a step back with whomever he is replaced by, but it's not as simple as saying he had good corsi, though.

EDIT: He had the highest QoT on the team. His corsi should have been high.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00