Injury Report: Feb. 26: Kimmo Timonen [blood clot in leg]

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The following statement is an injury update from Flyers GM Ron Hextall:

Flyers defenseman Kimmo Timonen has been diagnosed with blood clots in his lower right leg and in both lungs. Kimmo is currently being treated for this disorder back in his home country of Finland. His return to play is yet to be determined.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=727858

-------------------

MOD EDIT #1:

Flyers doctors have been in contact with doctors in Finland, where they say Timonen is in "stable" condition. In 2-3 weeks, when the five-time Olympian is able to travel again, he'll return to South Jersey where Flyers doctors will pick up evaluation.

"This could be a long-term thing and we have to prepare as an organization as if it is a long-term thing," Hextall said. "Can he play at some point next season? I don't have the answer to that.

MOD EDIT #2:

@BroadStHockey
Ron Hextall says that Kimmo Timonen will be back in town today and that the Flyers will know more about his status soon.

MOD EDIT #3 (Sep. 3):
An update from multiple Twitter accounts is that Timonen has been cleared to play in a celebrity golf tourney September 16. No update yet in terms of hockey.

MOD EDIT #4 (Sept. 18)

http://www.nj.com/flyers/index.ssf/...n_qa_chance_of_me_playing_is_really_slim.html

Q: What have you heard from the doctor's about the time frame?

Timonen: "Well, like I said, time will tell. There's different opinions how long it's going to take. Everyone's opinions are different. So it could take three months, six months, could take a year, could take two years. Who knows? So that's why we have to wait and see months."

Q: If it were to take two years?

Timonen: "I wouldn't be here discussing about playing hockey. This is my last year. And what happens down the road, we can't see it. There's no doctor who's going to say you're going to be good in six months because we don't know it."

Last edited by a moderator:

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Balls.

That has to be the end for him; for those that don't recall, he was forced out of the 2008 playoffs with a blood clot in his foot.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He missed the first four games of the ECF against Pittsburgh (so roughly two weeks) but this might be more serious.

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I knew this day would come. I wish it was under different circumstances, however.

Hang em up Kimmo. I will probably cry the day it's officially announced.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hope he gets better What does this do to our cap situation ?

Seems like he would come off the cap if he retired because he only signed a single-year deal. So the Flyers could sign a UFA defensemen to a $2 million deal... but are there any out there worth signing?

http://www.capgeek.com/faq/what-s-a-35-plus-contract

Players who sign multi-year contracts when they are age 35 or older (calculated on June 30 of the season the contract begins) count toward the cap under all circumstances, regardless of where (or if) the player is playing.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
keep-calm-and-game-over-7.png

OriginJM

matt stromes skating coach
Feb 4, 2010
this injury may cause one of the young guns to step into the fire

well, maybe not but i just wanted to say something cool

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Holy ****. Right leg and both lungs? Poor guy, I'm sure he just wanted to play one more season for a last chance at the cup, but I'd guess this could likely stop him from playing at all this season.

I wonder if this would cause them to keep either Gostisbehere or Hagg up with the team to fill his spot if he can't play? I doubt they'd sign a new Dman.

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Pens here, gotta be the end for him (sadly). Voukoun got treated for his and didn't even practice this year. ****** way for him to go out.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Yeah, time to hang them up. Not worth sacrificing your health to spend one extra year on a mediocre team.

Maybe it opens up a spot for Gostisbehere, but this sucks. One of my all time favorite players. Just hope he can get healthy and stay healthy after he's done with hockey. And hopefully he can come back as a coach someday. I think it's a job he's well suited to.

Nvxs07

Aug 1, 2014
I feel like it might be Ghost Time if Kimmo isn't healthy for a comeback. Get well soon big guy.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
****. I really can't see us being a playoff team without him but Im not even worried about that right now. I just hope he'll be ok so he can be around for his family and life after hcokey.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Unfortunate. I hope he calls it quits. He would be nice to have as a developmental coach for our young D if he wishes to stay around.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Just popped on twitter and saw this. Crazy. I gotta think that means Kimmo either won't play until midseason or will retire. Shame, cause it would've been nice for one more season to push for the cup with Kimmo.

I think this helps the chances of Ghost making the team, or they might play Schultz instead until Ghost has a good handful of good games in the AHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad