FC's October Ranking for the 2012 NHL Entry Draft

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
As part of the re-launch/return/re-boot of our brand spankin' new site design, we've released our October ranking for the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.

No surprise that Yakupov maintains his hold on the top spot, but how do the defensemen slot in?

View the ranking here: http://futureconsiderations.ca/top-rankings/

View the article with honourable mentions here: http://futureconsiderations.ca/yakupov-tops-fcs-october-draft-ranking

To view our Preliminary Ranking, which was done prior to the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, click here: http://futureconsiderations.ca/fc-releases-preliminary-ranking-for-2012/

Have fun with it!

Latex*

Lol?! Pokka ahead of Määttä? That's ridiculous.

Pokka's feet are made out of lead. It's like He's skating in sand.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
As part of the re-launch/return/re-boot of our brand spankin' new site design, we've released our October ranking for the 2012 NHL Entry Draft. [/url]

Well, its certainly a "safe" list. That is probably a good idea, so many draft prognosticators feel the need to make a few wild picks to prove they are not the norm.

Obviously the D will move around a lot this year, there are many of them and they are quite close.

On the downside, I see Murray and Ebert. Murray is a great prospect, but to go number 2 overall as a D man, I think you need to show a bit more than he has. His offensive game is there, is his defensive game? Ebert had a great start to his OHL career, was a bit slower in the second half. Obviously with Ellis gone this is his year. The question for me is what does he have to manage for a point total to justify 5 overall? I am thinking a PPG minimum, and I am not sure he can do that.

On the upside I like Dumba and Ceci. Dumba just keeps getting the job done. Ceci is already higher in your list than most, and perhaps there is a bit of homer in me, but I have seen him play quite a bit before the OHL and obviously with the 67's. His skating is on par with pretty much all the blueliners available, his size is pretty much unmatched, and he is a very smart defensive player. His offense, which was outstanding as a minor midget, is starting to show. Over the latter half of last year he had twice as many points as Ebert, and he has started off in the same manner this year. Obviously he will not keep up with his 100 point pace, but how far up the charts will he move if he can manage 70 points? I think that can move him into the top 10.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
One minor error - Zemgus Girgensons isn't American. ;)

Rimbe

Sep 20, 2011
Finland
I think that Määttä is top 10-15 and Pokka top 15-25.

I don't care who'll go higher. Rather i'm happy that there are some nice d prospects coming from Finland

:nod:

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
The new design is really nice.
It's professional looking and easy to navigate.

If it's on purpose, it's pretty savvy of you/your developer to make the site render incorrectly when the header ad is removed. :laugh:

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
One minor error - Zemgus Girgensons isn't American. ;)

Nope! Latvian. Entering all that data by hand made me a little squirrly! I'm sure there's another error or two in there as well!

Well, its certainly a "safe" list. That is probably a good idea, so many draft prognosticators feel the need to make a few wild picks to prove they are not the norm.

We don't go for 'safe', or for the 'shock and awe'. Our staff just simply puts together our list as if we were drafting tomorrow.

The new design is really nice.
It's professional looking and easy to navigate.

If it's on purpose, it's pretty savvy of you/your developer to make the site render incorrectly when the header ad is removed. :laugh:

Thanks for the kind words! I have no idea what you mean about removing the ad! I definitely didn't do the design or construction! You all saw what happened last time I was in charge of that!

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
I noticed that you have Prokhorkin as an honourable mention. Have you had a chance to take a look at the following Europeans yet?

F - Tomas Hertl (CZE extraliga) 4gp 2g+2a=4p
F - Dario Simion (NLA) 7gp 1g+2a=3p
F - Anton Slepyshev (KHL) 6gp 2g+0a=2p

Could one or two of them have potential to be near the 1st round?

R S

Sep 18, 2006

Obviously the D will move around a lot this year, there are many of them and they are quite close.

On the downside, I see Murray and Ebert. Murray is a great prospect, but to go number 2 overall as a D man, I think you need to show a bit more than he has. His offensive game is there, is his defensive game? Ebert had a great start to his OHL career, was a bit slower in the second half. Obviously with Ellis gone this is his year. The question for me is what does he have to manage for a point total to justify 5 overall? I am thinking a PPG minimum, and I am not sure he can do that.

On the upside I like Dumba and Ceci. Dumba just keeps getting the job done. Ceci is already higher in your list than most, and perhaps there is a bit of homer in me, but I have seen him play quite a bit before the OHL and obviously with the 67's. His skating is on par with pretty much all the blueliners available, his size is pretty much unmatched, and he is a very smart defensive player. His offense, which was outstanding as a minor midget, is starting to show. Over the latter half of last year he had twice as many points as Ebert, and he has started off in the same manner this year. Obviously he will not keep up with his 100 point pace, but how far up the charts will he move if he can manage 70 points? I think that can move him into the top 10.

Have you watched him? He is definitely well above average defensively. Very smart and very quick at making decisions with the puck.

Valley Boys

Didn't know the site, but slick presentation. Looks really nice.

stug*

About Henrik Samuelsson, is he swedish or american, well i guess he is both of course, but can he play for both nations?

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Good work Aaron and all of the FC staff. This is a list that I am liking more than other previous ranking lists out there.

Not a lot to pick apart (other than the nationalities). Speaking from experience, when putting together rankings like these it's easy to get into a zone and make these small mistakes.

Cheers.

Awesome visuals!

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
I think junior games don't decide these days one's senior level country for sure. See Galchenyuk .
If you represent a country in a IIHF sanctioned event (like Samuelsson did when he played for the US at the U18's in Germany this past spring), you must wait four years to represent a different country.

Galchenyuk represented the US at the Ivan Hlinka Memorial, which is not a IIHF sanctioned event, so he is still free to represent any country he is capable of meeting eligibility requirements for.

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
Samuelsson has said that he'll play for USA if called upon, so there's that. Probably would've played for Sweden if he could switch right away, said he feels sad that he can't do that but at the same time can't wait four years. Speaking of Samuelsson, will be interesting to see how his ice-time and draft stock will react if/when his father gets fired and can't feed him ice-time (some might say not earned).

Actually thought there would be some raised eyebrows over the Collberg at 11. Not that he doesn't deserve it talent-wise, but he hasn't been in the spotlight as much as Filip Forsberg for instance.

Pontus Ã…berg will climb these rankings if he keeps it up in the SEL.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Have you watched him? He is definitely well above average defensively. Very smart and very quick at making decisions with the puck.

I'd not yet call him well above average, although granted I only saw him play about 5 times last year. And certainly I can admit he is above average, but that is OHL caliber. An above average defensive player in the OHL would be near horrific in the NHL. You have to be exceptional at this level to even be average at the NHL level.

When I compare Ebert to other notable rearguards from the past few years, IMHO he is a grade below in the defensive aspect of the game. It certainly does not mean he is bad, but that he has a ways to go before he has NHL defensive capabilities. I'd argue Ceci has those now, which explains his draft position. He mediocre offensive showing so far is what has kept him from moving into the top half of the first round.

Ebert though IMO is still going to be more of an offensive rearguard in the NHL. I also believe he will bring a physical aspect to his game. But will he be a shutdown potential guy? Nothing I have seen yet indicates that. But he is young. Guys like Murray and Ceci do have the advantage of having an extra year of grooming at this level, and it really shows in that aspect of the game.

So basically it is my assertion that Ebert needs to show he is an elite offensive force this year or that he can play a shutdown role, and probably needs both if he hopes to go in the top 5. Certainly I do not see him falling out of the top 15, and likely not out of the top 10, but the competition is very strong this year and it will not take a lot to move some guys a lot of positions up or down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad