Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Action Jackson

Jul 5, 2010
Most of these folks are good people but they dont understand .. they dony know that pauls sole job was to take mitch to hockey every night and tape his games and practices to help him get better .. bonnie wears da pants and is a hard avg wage earner .. they dont know mitch only played because of sponsorships of infividuald and teams.. mitch only wanted to help his family out of poverty and he succeeded .. good on him .. how many people on here can look at themsleves on mirror and say same

Not sure what you are on about. Do you honestly think families in poverty can enroll their kids in hockey from the age of 2 + all the skills camps? Give your head a shake pal, they were comfortably middle class but very involved in their kids "hobby".

In any case, sounds like more excuses to pay him what he doesn't deserve. Could care less about his upbringing - he is complete trash in competitive games.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Marner has LOTS of time to prove his worth - starting with Game 4. Put the team on your back, Mitch, like all $11M players would, beat the Bruins and take us deep into the playoffs.

If he doesn't, Marner should be traded, because he's simply too expensive to keep around.

Reactions: 56 Years No Cup

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
When he passed on Konecny, you could tell right then and there this guy was too smart for his own good. Even in the 2nd round of that draft, he grabbed the typical small/skilled guys like Dermott and Bracco. Aho and Carlo were available. I mean look at the different Brendan Carlo has made in Boston. Dubas flat out was just not experienced enough for TML he had no business in that role that early clearly.
That was Hunter's draft.
But I do agree that not drafting Carlo hurts. I mean he is only 6'4, 205, plays physical and shoot right hand. Think Franson was the only RHD we had at that time. Or did Lou traded for Polak already.

Reactions: Jojalu

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
Hopefully he looks at it as Nylander just made 6.5 or whatever the past 6 years so it’s his turn to take a discount now. He’s already set for life coming off this contract so if he had the Leaf PJs on like JT growing up he should want to take the best deal possible to make the team better. 4X9.5 lower AAV than he is currently and still has time to sign one more big deal before he’s too old

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Hopefully he looks at it as Nylander just made 6.5 or whatever the past 6 years so it’s his turn to take a discount now. He’s already set for life coming off this contract so if he had the Leaf PJs on like JT growing up he should want to take the best deal possible to make the team better. 4X9.5 lower AAV than he is currently and still has time to sign one more big deal before he’s too old
There is absolutely no chance he is going to accept that offer.

Reactions: hullsy47

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
There is absolutely no chance he is going to accept that offer.
well he may very get mathews contract ,but elsewhere,chicago ,salt lake city ,even ottawa in a trade .
just cant pay him in toronto .
or without moving another player out .
all these NMC have mutual understanding that the player will move under certain circumstances
my guess marner might be a sign and trade

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
That was Hunter's draft.
But I do agree that not drafting Carlo hurts. I mean he is only 6'4, 205, plays physical and shoot right hand. Think Franson was the only RHD we had at that time. Or did Lou traded for Polak already ther

There were so many anti-Carlo people on this forum at that time. Even mentioning drafting him often resulted in three or four obnoxious follow up posts.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
well he may very get mathews contract ,but elsewhere,chicago ,salt lake city ,even ottawa in a trade .
all these NMC have mutual understanding that the player will move under certain circumstances
They do? Where are you getting that from?

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
-Gain zone
-Circle back
-Make ridiculously low% pass into traffic
-Turn puck over
-rinse and repeat

Has been Marner so far this whole series. He just cannot get over the fact that his overcomplicated fancy stuff has zero carry over to the playoffs. Just f*** off with it and play simple already.

Drive me nuts when Marner and the other Leafs turn the puck over just inside the blueline all the time. He is far from the only one and I have to assume it is because they are trying to keep possession but if you don't have a play you dump the puck deep. Again, Hockey 101 stuff here.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
After seeing what we have seen for playoffs 8 series and 3 games, you cannot pay him $12+m. Figure out what he is worth on the open market and make him a take it or leave it offer. You have the hammer. If he refuses, trade him or let him walk. Personally I think he is part of the problem why our PP sucks. They signed Klingberg because Rielly also sucks on the PP but went back to Rielly after Kingberg was put on LTIR. Mistake.

This team needs a culture change. Everybody should be available for the right price. Yes, that includes Matthews but it would take a huge return. I'd look to SLC because they might be ripe for the picking.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Drive me nuts when Marner and the other Leafs turn the puck over just inside the blueline all the time. He is far from the only one and I have to assume it is because they are trying to keep possession but if you don't have a play you dump the puck deep. Again, Hockey 101 stuff here.
Matthews iced the game the other night doing the exact thing.

Reactions: BraveCanadian

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
How someone can be a fan of 93 and not leave it all out there is perplexing to me. Marner isn't a big guy but neither was Gilmour and Dougie still went in and got his hands dirty all the time.
All players are different and 'leave it all out there' in different manners.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
One thing that really annoys me is the powerplay. The whole powerplay is sucking so it’s definitely not all on Mitch, but he’s supposed to be the guy everything runs through and he just full on does nothing.

His ES game is clearly not made for the playoffs, but come on, one area that he should still dominate in without question is on the PP. Zero excuses. Just a single powerplay goal and we could be up in this series.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
I think marner will accept the trade if we lose. He will be hated next year if he comes back. Maybe even booed every game.

I would try to get a goalie or 1 D for him. If not then a package deal of D and F.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
How someone can be a fan of 93 and not leave it all out there is perplexing to me. Marner isn't a big guy but neither was Gilmour and Dougie still went in and got his hands dirty all the time.

Maybe he is a box checker like Dubas.

-Appeal to relatively modern Leaf Legend fans. Check.

-Corsi shots check

-Play victim for sympathy / contract negotiations. Check

-Hone fancy skills to wow a crowd. Check.

All sorts of this kind of thing. Essentially he comes off as a hockey mill product pushed by a father that was hell bent to have an NHL playing son. Thats the overall impression I get. I am not saying its fact, its how I see MM.

Most importantly. He is not a good PO player. He is a globe trotter on ice.

Reactions: 56 Years No Cup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad