Movies: Favourite Sport Movies:

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
A lot of good horse race movies you guys missed on this thread. Sea biscuit for instant was very good.

Mimsy

Mar 21, 2015
Karate Kid (1984)
Raging Bull

Rocky (the original...and only in small doses)

I watched "The Bad News Bears" (1976) last night. I hadn't seen the movie in many years. It's simple and devotes a lot of screen time to playing out the actual baseball games. The movie is very seventies in its slow-as-molasses approach to storytelling. Most of the kids can't act very well (other than Jackie Earle Haley and Tatum O'Neal) and none of them really need to. It gives the film its charm, as does the profanity. It was a fun trip down memory lane.

Last edited:
Reactions: plank

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
p160224_p_v8_aa.jpg

Was good too.

Reactions: sabresEH

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Am I the only one who thought Goon sucked?
Terrible movie, but it was entertaining after a joint. Also a good one to throw on the tube after a hockey game and the boys just wanna chill and drink before going out for the night.

Edit: The Little Giants, The Big Green, Angels in the Outfield - all terrible but loved them as a kid.

Favorite Sports movie is probably Bull Durham. It captures the spirit of the thing more than say Slapshot ;)

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
This thread has gone on this long and the greatest sports movie ever hasn't been listed? That's right, the original 1975 Rollerball.

Remember the goofy LL Cool J' Rollerball remake.. circa 2002 (?)

A good football flick I forgot to mention in my previous post: We Are Marshall.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Le Mans-Probably the most realistic movie about any sport ever made. McQueen's commitment to authenticity was remarkable.

Moneyball-Favorite movie of the millennium so far.

Raging Bull

Any Given Sunday-Sort of ravaged by critics but holds up well.

My Best-Carey

Reactions: plank

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Moneyball
Mighty Ducks Trilogy
Bull Durham
Friday Night Lights
Remember The Titans
Any Given Sunday
Major League

As far as sports comedies go Happy Gilmore and Semi Pro are right up there.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
You remining me of this movie reminds me of a very similar movie, Invincible, with Mark Wahlberg playing a walk-on to the Philadelphia Eagles.

It's like free association, sports movie style.

Another movie that everyone hates for some reason but I don't is the Last Boy Scout with Damon Wayans and Bruce Willis. It's a cop movie taking place in a professional football environment.

See I wouldn't consider Last Boy Scout to be a sports movie. Going by that criteria Ace Ventura Pet Detective is a sports movie (the one with Finkle and where he fights with Dan Marino).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad