Movies: Favourite Sport Movies:

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Im a baseball fan above all else, so the top 2 are:

Field of Dreams...perfect baseball movie. captures the nostalgia and love of the game. and you aren't human if the arc of it all being just to play catch with his dad doesn't get the room dusty.

The Sandlot...came out when I was a kid and is the perfect childhood friends movie. Shows how great it was just spending the summer playing with friends and enjoying baseball.

honorable mention to Mighty Ducks and Slapshot

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
Rocky..
First movie was a great underdog story; & a lot heavier on story than the sequels. I hated most of the sequels, but the original (my opinion) is one of the greatest movies ever made. It's easy to root for (& relate to) a guy who wants to be more than just another bum from the neighborhood.

Also liked Tommy Lee Jones' Cobb (Ty Cobb bio.)

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Bull Durham and Major League for me, and I'm someone that thinks that most baseball movies stink because they tend to craft a plot that's overly sappy by making baseball the magical gift that fixes all of societal and/or familiar woes.

Slap Shot is great as well, but just not on the same level as the aforementioned baseball flicks for me.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Slap Shot has some hilarious moments, but it tends to drag and looks quite dated nowadays

It's not a movie I would want to watch multiple times in a given year

Reactions: aufheben

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
Gary's Golden Knights,the heartwarming story about a boy and his team that epitomizes what the NHL has become.Plastic,guady,watered down,phony shit.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Documentaries (no particular order)

Storm Surfers in 3D
--insane movie about two middle-aged guys who with their own meteorologist seek out the biggest waves anywhere in the world and surf them.
The Endless Summer--classic surfing movie
When We Were Kings--Ali, Foreman and "the rumble in the jungle"
Hoop Dreams--a look at a couple of potential young basketball superstars with their future all ahead of them and yet to be determined
Senna--an absolutely edge-of-your-seat racing biography that is beyond gripping even though you know how it will end
Olympia--Leni Riefenstahl's massive memento of the '36 summer Olympics in Berlin

Feature Films (no particular order)

Raging Bull--best sports related movie ever
The Boxer (Daniel Day Lewis)--very underrated movie and performance
Slap Shot--so many laughs and Newman is great
The Pride of the Yankees (Gary Cooper)--the classic sports movie
The Hustler--timeless story
Offside--Iranian film with a lot of charm about a group of girls trying to root for their national soccer team but who are harassed by the authorities for doing so.
Fever Pitch--the infinitely superior Colin Firth version, not the awful Jimmy Fallon one
Goon--it's got surprising heart
Bull Durham--one of the best scripted sports related movies
The Damned United--Brian Clough's brief but eventful 44-day reign as Leeds United manager
Searching for Bobby Fischer--nice little sleeper of a movie

Last edited:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
It's not a sports movie in any usual sense, but everyone should see the documentary The Tillman Story, about the ex-NFL player who enlisted in the Army after 9/11, served in combat and was killed under circumstances that were later covered up by the US Army. Powerful and moving.

Last edited:

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Cool Runnings - mainly because it got me into BobSledding for a few years

Miracle - Probably my favorite hockey movie (I also like Slap Shot, but it was before my time)

Remember the Titans - Probably Denzel Washington's best role

Non-Disney Movie

Happy Gilmore - It's the most rewatchable sports movie I've probably ever seen

The Waterboy - Adam Sandler really did have a run of decent comedies.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Cool Runnings - mainly because it got me into BobSledding for a few years

Miracle - Probably my favorite hockey movie (I also like Slap Shot, but it was before my time)

Remember the Titans - Probably Denzel Washington's best role

Non-Disney Movie

Happy Gilmore - It's the most rewatchable sports movie I've probably ever seen

The Waterboy - Adam Sandler really did have a run of decent comedies.

only thing about Titans is it's really sad what happened to Julius. Poor kid moved to Baltimore and ended up in a life of crime.

Its weird, I dont think of a movie like Happy Gilmore as a sports movie. It's more of a comedy that happens to have some sports in it. IDK, to me a sports movie is where the game itself is the point of the plot.

for the documentary side, check out "Top Spin"...its a doc on Netflix about top level ping pong and kids...very interesting look at the outside pressures and lack of childhood some kids have at that level.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Some that haven't been mentioned:

I think Dogtown and Z-Boys is a great documentary on the emergence of modern skateboarding.

(Don't watch Lords of Dogtown, the theatrical version).

Stacy Peralta also did "Riding Giants", a documentary on big wave surfing.

A film I liked about the corruption in college basketball is Blue Chips. A film I liked about lyncanthropy in high school basketball is Teen Wolf.

Any Given Sunday had Pacino acting a little nuts but I kind of liked it in terms of exploring some of the modern issues of professional football. Jerry Maguire had both Cruise and Cuba Gooding acting a little nuts but I liked the emphasis on the sports agent part of the game. The Replacements has Neo saying "Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever." Neo was also in a terrible DUI court-mandated baseball coach movie called Hardball.

Then there's the endless parade of college/highschool football movies like Rudy, Friday Night Lights, the Program, Varsity Blues.

There's also the penal sports movies like Victory (or Escape to Victory) (WWII soccer with Pele, Bobby Moore and Sylvester Stallone), the Longest Yard (prison football with Burt Reynolds), the Longest Yard again (prison football with Adam Sandler), and Mean Machine (remake of Longest Yard but with Vinnie Jones playing prison soccer).

Of course, that leads to penal boxing movies like Undisputed. And other boxing movies like the Fighter, Diggstown, the Hurricane, Southpaw, Million Dollar Baby, Ali, and Cinderella Man.

Going through this exercise has led me to believe that there are a lot of sports movies.

Last edited:
Reactions: plank

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Some that haven't been mentioned:
The Replacements has Neo saying "Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever."

I came here to say this. The Replacements is definitely my favorite football movie, and in my top 5 sports movies. It always bums me out when I say "Chicks dig scars" and people don't get the reference...

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I came here to say this. The Replacements is definitely my favorite football movie, and in my top 5 sports movies. It always bums me out when I say "Chicks dig scars" and people don't get the reference...

You remining me of this movie reminds me of a very similar movie, Invincible, with Mark Wahlberg playing a walk-on to the Philadelphia Eagles.

It's like free association, sports movie style.

Another movie that everyone hates for some reason but I don't is the Last Boy Scout with Damon Wayans and Bruce Willis. It's a cop movie taking place in a professional football environment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad