Favourite Open Worlds:

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
How does GTA 4's world compare to GTA 5? I skipped over #4 and have thought about going back to play it.

Don’t bother. Sure it looks/looked amazing in 2008 but that’s about it. At the end of the day you are/were left with a great big shiny city that’s empty and has f*** all to do.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
For people who have played Oblivion, is it worth going back to play, or would it feel too dated?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
For people who have played Oblivion, is it worth going back to play, or would it feel too dated?

If you've played Skyrim it might be tough going back and playing it.

But if graphics don't matter that much, it really is chock full of quests and things to do.

I'd suggest it's also fairly repetitive in that it has a lot of the same guilds and such.

There are always huge mod communities for Bethesda games so I'll bet with a little work you can make it quite a good experience.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

I haven't played it in a long time, but don't imagine that it'd feel too dated. I'd call it closer in accessibility to Skyrim than its predecessor, Morrowind. If you really loved Skyrim, I think that it's worth playing. Just realize that Skyrim addressed many of Oblivion's biggest issues: the repetitiveness (especially the Oblivion gates), the fact that there's only one really major city, the sameness of the guilds, the clunky combat and so on (though it received acclaim and many Game of the Year awards at the time). If you can put up with those issues, though, there's still a lot to like, especially if you really loved Skyrim.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Don’t bother. Sure it looks/looked amazing in 2008 but that’s about it. At the end of the day you are/were left with a great big shiny city that’s empty and has **** all to do.
I enjoyed the story, felt it more gritty than 5, but yeah there just wasn't enough to do, except hang up on Roman when he wanted to go bowling.

Reactions: LeafSadist

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
KOTOR1 and 2. Played through the first one recently and man even with the graphics looking like shit I still love that game. Going through the 2nd one now. Definitely enjoying it but I don’t think anything touches the first one’s story.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I absolutely LOVED Skyrim. That said, I went back and played Oblivion and I actually like it a ton more. Theres little things I like like repair hammers and how being a vampire really isn't that great but outside of that the atmosphere and music to me were much more enticing. Dungeons are a tad repetitive too but Skurim has the same problem.

I think story, music, writing, characters and art were miles ahead of Skyrim. But Skyrim had the better gameplay.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
With how insanely talented the modding community is, Skyrim can pretty much be played indefinitely.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I have to mention GTA3's Liberty City as being the one that got me hooked to the open world/sandbox genre.

Also have to credit Just Cause 2's Panau as the first one that I truly bought as being an actual world versus a shrunken representation of a world.

But favorite? Have to go with BotW's Hyrule. That was just such an absolute joy to wander about in.

firewagonHOCKEY

Mar 7, 2006
Belgium
Kenshi, it's so open world that it doesn't even have a story. You just try and survive and thrive. Until you get your arms and legs eaten by dinosaurs or captured by slavers. And every area is unique with it's own flora and fauna.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad