Favourite Open Worlds:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Looking to find some new open world games to play and was wondering what peoples favourite ones are.

What is your favourite open world and why? Is it the story within them? The detail of the world? the amount you can explore the world? Etc.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I'm sure you've heard of BoTW, GTA 5, The Witcher 3, etc so I'll mention a few I liked that aren't quite as well known.

The Saboteur
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
Mad Max
Sleeping Dogs
Yakuza 0
Don’t Starve/Don't Starve Together

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I'm sure you've heard of BoTW, GTA 5, The Witcher 3, etc so I'll mention a few I liked that aren't quite as well known.

The Saboteur
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
Mad Max
Sleeping Dogs
Yakuza 0
Don’t Starve/Don't Starve Together

I have played the big 3 you listed at the start, all were amazing!

Is Mad Max actually a good game? I have it through PS Plus from a time ago.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada

It's good, but not great.

It gets repetitive, you see the same enemies and missions again and again. But the combat and driving are both quite fun. It's an amazing looking game as well.

Not a game most people would pour hours upon hours into, there's a solid week of fun in there I'd say. Certainly worth checking out if you can play if for free.

Reactions: robertmac43

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Mad Max is absolutely dreadful, and I will be posting about it at length in the games you beat thread before the end of the week.

Think size for the sake of size, a non-existent story, confusing side missions and hundreds of identical and pointless scavenging locations. And a game centred around car culture with driving physics that wouldn't be out of place in a PS1 game.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
The best open world games are Gothic 1 and 2. They are the exact opposite of the type of game Ceremony just described. There is basically zero filler and unlike a lot of modern open world games, there is no procedural generation the entire map is hand made and items hand placed. They aren't as massive in terms of the world size as say Witcher 3 but reasonably big. They aren't a open world where you can just sort of go anywhere whenever though, the games are seriously challenging at times and the combat heavily based on character stats/equipment. They are open world in that if you can figure out how to get there, you can get there. Not just walk anywhere from the start. But that's what makes them so good, when you finally get into that cave or climb that mountain, getting past some obstacle or creature.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Does Mount & Blade: Warband count as open world? Probably not, but it was my jam. You can really start a game (with a deal of character options) and then really do anything or go anywhere in the game-world.

Bannerlord should be coming out any day now.... :skeptic:

Reactions: Nizdizzle

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
GTA5's open world may be massive but a vast majority of it is dead and inaccessible. I think it's telling if towards the end of my interest in the game I would pretty much just drive fast cars and bikes up the tallest mountains for the amusement of flying down them at top speed.

I prefer Skyrim, TW3, and BOTW personally.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

I thought it was solid: driving combat and melee combat are both a ton of fun. Didn't get the love it deserved honestly.

Sleeping Dogs is another GTA-type game that a lot of people seem to have missed. Probably better than most GTA games in terms of gameplay honestly.

Reactions: robertmac43

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
How does GTA 4's world compare to GTA 5? I skipped over #4 and have thought about going back to play it.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Star Wars Galaxies

dozen planets, planets are big, nothing you are supposed to do so you can go anywhere any time for as long as you want, planets include lore

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction was a hoot as an open world game. Even were nice enough to give you two of them.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Slightly left of field, don't know how you feel about driving games or if you even have a PC/Xbox, but if so I'd recommend Forza Horizon 4. To be honest I find the menu and progression design a bit ugly, but the map is amazing imo. Great variety of terrain and cars, and if you want something to roam around in, it's really fun.

Otherwise I haven't played an open world game on foot in a while. :laugh:

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Slightly left of field, don't know how you feel about driving games or if you even have a PC/Xbox, but if so I'd recommend Forza Horizon 4. To be honest I find the menu and progression design a bit ugly, but the map is amazing imo. Great variety of terrain and cars, and if you want something to roam around in, it's really fun.

Otherwise I haven't played an open world game on foot in a while. :laugh:

Really fun game for co-op too.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Open world, I like Oblivion and Skyrim, Morrowind was just too dated for me to enjoy, and I'll throw in fallout new vegas for story open world games.

Otherwise I'd say Euro and American Truck Simulators both a pretty decent games, if your going ETS, I'd throw the Promods map as a must have, i feel it far superior to the base game + DLCs, though you do need both to use it. ATS began later than ETS and I feel likes it's on a whole far more fleshed out being able to take the lessons from ETS and use them from the start, but the quality between NV and CA and the later states is massive, WA, OR, NM and AZ are quite a bit a head of the two base states but I think they will bit by bit improve and rework those to states. You don't do much but drive from A to B but it's enjoyable and pretty beautiful even on the low graphics I have to run it on. I think UT will be released around the end of the year, and hopefully they can can get Idaho done to just to box out the map and ease the corridor driving feel to it. Also I believe the promods team are working North of the border.

Reactions: Maelmoor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad