4) Alex Kovalev
5) Carey Price
6) Brenden Gallagher
7) Vincent Damphousse
8) Alexander Radulov
9) Please support democracy
10) Please support democracy
11) Please support democracy

You each get three votes. The poll will remain up for 48 hours this time.

Added:
David Desharnais, Alex Galchenyuk, Glen Metropolit,

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Would have gone Hamrlik, Gill, Gionta so Hamrlik, Weber, Plekanec

Add Gill Gionta ? Erik Cole?

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
I can't believe 1 year of Radulov makes him a top 8 player over the last 25 years

It says alot about the quality of players we had here.

I cant believe Pacioretty one of the best goal scorers in the league is not in front of Radulove.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
-Zholtok
-Petrov
-Grabovski
-Sergei kos
-Komisarek
-Ribeiro
-Linden
-Recchi
-Eric Cole
-Malakhov
-Laraque
-Rusinsky
-Bouillon
-Andy Moog
-Jeff Hackett
-Jan Bulis (4 goals 1 night)

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
I never lived the Roy area but this guy was something.

He hated losing, he hated being humiliated. Pure hero.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
I know Metropolit will get nowhere in this poll but he will always hold a special place for me. Such an amazing life story and I will always remember him talking to and shaking hands with Jean Bealiveau (or maybe it was Henri Richard? Pretty sure it was Beliveau though) before the Centennial game against the Bruins and then picking up an assist on the first goal and scoring a goal later in the game (we went on to win 5-1, with Cammalleri scoring a hat trick in the middle of an Olé chant)

Also he had a better fist pump celebration than Briere and I will defend that to the death.

Last edited:

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I hesitated between Larry and Halak, but went with Halak. His legendary playoff run will be something I'll tell my grand kids about.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
It says alot about the quality of players we had here.

I cant believe Pacioretty one of the best goal scorers in the league is not in front of Radulove.
If Pacioretty was playing somewhere else now, more of us would probably miss him and remember the best part of him in Montreal rather than all the negative including our grudge against what seems to be a no emotion/bad leadership captaincy. Also, not to say it's deserved, but when some people think of Pacioretty, they think of him in a Pacioretty vs Subban Marvel Civil War fashion, chasing the latter away from town. Or being a reason why Desharnais was (mis)used on the first line, which may or may not be fair (Pacioretty is not the coach after all).

Radulov was a shooting star, came and went away so fast while showing passion and great skills and also exceeding expectations for a former exile. Also, while Patches is an impressive sniper, Radulov playmaking was great to watch.

Of course, if he would have done that in... I don't know... 1999? We probably wouldn't remember him the same, so there is a clear bias regarding players from the last years. Especially if we don't count major actors in our last Cup run.

Regarding that, my next player to add to the list would be Lyle Odelein, a warrior for the Habs, before and after 1993 which is the part I remember. Next Gilmour and Emelin. (What's happening with me... why all this character...)

And my votes this round went for Cammalleri, Halak and Souray.

P.S. While my avatar might say otherwise, I do like Pacioretty and respect the great amount of goals he scored for us. I'm just ready to move on if the price is right, getting parts for the future as we are not contenders... if it's not just extend him and get over with it, don't want to lose a 30+ regular goal scorer for a 2nd round pick. Anyway I'll leave the rest for the Pacioretty thread :P

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Souray, Hamrlik and Huet
Add Streit, Maxim Lapierre and Pèpère Budaj.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
I know Metropolit will get nowhere in this poll but he will always hold a special place for me. Such an amazing life story and I will always remember him talking to and shaking hands with Jean Bealiveau (or maybe it was Henri Richard? Pretty sure it was Beliveau though) before the Centennial game against the Bruins and then picking up an assist on the first goal and scoring a goal later in the game (we went on to win 5-1, with Cammalleri scoring a hat trick in the middle of an Olé chant)

Also he had a better fist pump celebration than Briere and I will defend that to the death.

This is why I've been voting for Cammy since #5 :laugh:

You should all notice that Brunet says Gill, Price, S.Kost had been working hard :laugh:

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
On the Radulov issue, if people are going to love players based on one season carrying the team, then both Cammaleri and Gionta's 2009-10 seasons should get more love.

combined playoffs and regular season

Cammaleri: 39 goals, 69 points , 84 games, engine of a strong powerplay
Gionta: 37 goals, 61 points, 80 games. key defensive forward, strong on both special teams.

Both would have been more noticeable if they didn't lose about 20 games each in the regular season to injury. They were almost as critical as the goaltenders for carrying team that was just awful outside of a core group of top players into the playoffs and on a deep playoff run.

Plekanec was similarly vital that season, but he had many good years in Montreal, so that single one does't stand out so much.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
On the Radulov issue, if people are going to love players based on one season carrying the team, then both Cammaleri and Gionta's 2009-10 seasons should get more love.

If that was the case, then Pierre Turgeon would be top 5. He has the highest scoring season since 1993 (96 points). If Bergevin traded Turgeon away in the past 3 years, he would be top 3.

I think being traded away (or not re-signed) by Bergevin in the past 3 years give the players a big boost of popularity. They are quick to forget for example that Radulov was heavily criticized during his 20 games lethargy in February and March 2017. A 54 points season is really nothing special, but suddenly we should remember him as a God just because Bergevin failed to re-sign him.

You want to know who else had 54 points seasons (or more) since 1993? Rucinsky (2 times), Savage, Perreault, Ribeiro, Ryder (3 times), Souray, Streit, Gomez, Cole and Desharnais. I don't see their names very often around here.

Don't get me wrong : I loved Radulov and wished he stayed. But ranking him before top scorer Max Pacioretty, playoff heroes Halak and Cammalleri, Hart winner Théodore, 96 points producer Turgeon and long time Habs Plekanec and Brisebois is... bizarre.

Last edited:
Reactions: buddahsmoka1

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
If that was the case, then Pierre Turgeon would be top 5. He has the highest scoring season since 1993 (96 points). If Bergevin traded Turgeon away in the past 3 years, he would be top 3.

I think being traded away (or not re-signed) by Bergevin in the past 3 years give the players a big boost of popularity. They are quick to forget for example that Radulov was heavily criticized during his 20 games lethargy in February and March 2017. A 54 points season is really nothing special, but suddenly we should remember him as a God just because Bergevin failed to re-sign him.

You want to know who else had 54 points seasons (or more) since 1993? Rucinsky (2 times), Savage, Perreault, Ribeiro, Ryder (3 times), Souray, Streit, Gomez, Cole and Desharnais. I don't see their names very often around here.

Don't get me wrong : I loved Radulov and wished he stayed. But ranking him before top scorer Max Pacioretty, playoff heroes Halak and Cammalleri, Hart winner Théodore, 96 points producer Turgeon and long time Habs Plekanec and Brisebois is... bizarre.

It's the way he got his 54 points. Guy was a treat to watch. I enjoyed watching a year of radulov more than paciorrety's entire career with Montreal.

That goal in overtime vs the rangers???? Call me when deharnais ribeiro Gomez cole one hand tuck a goalie mid game with two guys on they're back lmao

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
It's the way he got his 54 points. Guy was a treat to watch. I enjoyed watching a year of radulov more than paciorrety's entire career with Montreal.

That goal in overtime vs the rangers???? Call me when deharnais ribeiro Gomez cole one hand tuck a goalie mid game with two guys on they're back lmao

Yeah, some players are just more entertaining. It's also part of why people might like Alexei Emelin, Douglas Murray, Tom Kostopoulos, Brandon Prust, Travis Moen, and Brad Staubitz.

There's also a difference between having good offensive numbers and earning good offensive numbers. Sometimes players accrete a lot of points simply due to having good ice time and good line mates. That wasn't the case with Radulov: he drove the offense.

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006

There seem to be four very prominent biases in these polls:

1) Recent players have received more votes (e.g. Gallagher and most of the top 10, only old guard player to receive substantial votes was Damphousse).

2) Recent veterans have received less votes (e.g. Price, Plekanec, Pacioretty).

3) As you point out, unfair treatment by Bergevin has led to greater votes (e.g. Subban, Radulov, even Galchenyuk - lol, should not even be considered at this stage).

4) Recent successful seasons result in more votes (or the inverse) (e.g. Gallagher, Pacioretty)

The fact that Pacioretty might not even hit the top 10 is completely ridiculous. This is a guy that has scored 30 goals a handful of times, has been a career Hab, a captain, and has been the Habs' defacto best forward for the last 5 or 6 years.

I am also shocked to see players like Zednik, Souray, Corson, and Turgeon get such low votes. This is obviously due to an age demographic, but jeez, these players were all very entertaining and talented players, as well as former fan favourites.

I would even say (as much as I like the guy), Gallagher being 6th is asinine. He's a decent player, but will be incredibly forgettable in two decades. I doubt he would have done so well if this poll had been done last summer either.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad