Favourite Habs player in the post-1993 era: #9-11

Favourite Habs player in the post-1993 era: #9-11

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
There is no right or wrong because in the end, everyone has the right to like whoever they want.

But Radulov in Top10 when he plays only one season and decide to walk and leave the habs.

Wow. Jeez.

I guess it fill a narrative.

Reactions: Domi a favor

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
I voted for Souray, Plekanec, and Corson.

Add Rucinsky, Recchi, Savage, Gionta, and Gomez. Take out Metropolit and Desharnais (lol).

Last edited:
Reactions: SpezNc2

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
There is no right or wrong because in the end, everyone has the right to like whoever they want.

But Radulov in Top10 when he plays only one season and decide to walk and leave the habs.

Wow. Jeez.

I guess it fill a narrative.

I know for sure that if my wife left me for someone else who offered exactly the same thing, I wouldn't hold her in such a high esteem, even if I had spent one fun year with her. :nod:

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
There seem to be four very prominent biases in these polls:

1) Recent players have received more votes (e.g. Gallagher and most of the top 10, only old guard player to receive substantial votes was Damphousse).

2) Recent veterans have received less votes (e.g. Price, Plekanec, Pacioretty).

3) As you point out, unfair treatment by Bergevin has led to greater votes (e.g. Subban, Radulov, even Galchenyuk - lol, should not even be considered at this stage).

4) Recent successful seasons result in more votes (or the inverse) (e.g. Gallagher, Pacioretty)

The fact that Pacioretty might not even hit the top 10 is completely ridiculous. This is a guy that has scored 30 goals a handful of times, has been a career Hab, a captain, and has been the Habs' defacto best forward for the last 5 or 6 years.

I am also shocked to see players like Zednik, Souray, Corson, and Turgeon get such low votes. This is obviously due to an age demographic, but jeez, these players were all very entertaining and talented players, as well as former fan favourites.

I would even say (as much as I like the guy), Gallagher being 6th is asinine. He's a decent player, but will be incredibly forgettable in two decades. I doubt he would have done so well if this poll had been done last summer either.

I am myself bias. Everybody is. I am not immune to be bias. I was never a fan of Zednik, Theodore, DD or Pacioretty while I am a big fan of Zubrus, Recchi, Price, Gallagher, Souray, Cammalleri.

Also because of the Weber-Subban controversy, i have the reverse bias to root for Weber.

I look at your comment and you are absolutely right. This list contain so much bias.

I would be curious to see your very own Top20.

Pretty sure it would be a solid list. Very curious to see what would your list.

Last edited:

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
Add Zubrus, Recchi.

Metropolit in the choices but no Recchi? Where is Torrey Mitchell?

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
I am myself bias. Everybody is. I am not immune to be bias. I was never a fan of Zednik, Theodore, DD or Pacioretty while I am a big fan of Zubrus, Recchi, Price, Gallagher, Souray, Cammalleri.

Also because of the Weber-Subban controversy, i have the reverse bias to root for Weber.

I look at your comment and you are absolutely right. This list contain so much bias.

I would be curious to see your very own Top20.

Pretty sure it would be a solid list. Very curious to see what would your list.

Everyone is biased. And there's nothing wrong with that. On the individual level, I don't care about it; it's a poll of favorites, personal opinions, preferences. There's nothing inherently wrong with liking Radulov over say Souray or Pacioretty, whoever.

But on the macro-level, some wonky things start to happen and we get a weird list as a result of it.

I'd have to think about it, maybe I'll post it later/in a later thread.

Reactions: SpezNc2

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
Everyone is biased. And there's nothing wrong with that. On the individual level, I don't care about it; it's a poll of favorites, personal opinions, preferences. There's nothing inherently wrong with liking Radulov over say Souray or Pacioretty, whoever.

But on the macro-level, some wonky things start to happen and we get a weird list as a result of it.

Totally agree with you there is nothing wrong to like Radulov over Souray or Pacioretty. Biaises are part of the game in theses poll of favorites and i guess its also part of the fun.

If you ever do your list, looking forward to it

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
Pacioretty is under appreciated.
I think there's a distinction between recognizing he's a good goalscorer (best in the poll, possibly) and just not liking him that much. After all, this thread is literally a popularity contest, hehe. :D

To me, Pac has the personality of a potato, and never had a strong playoff performance that stood out. Those are my two main criteria for this poll.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud

Interesting. I also agree that individual biases are normal, I have like everyone else. But biases that are generalized to a whole group are revealing. I always thought this board was not representative of the fanbase because of its sociological structure (age, language, place of living). This poll is proving exactly that. You show this poll results on RDS and people won't believe it.

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
Totally agree with you there is nothing wrong to like Radulov over Souray or Pacioretty. Biaises are part of the game in theses poll of favorites and i guess its also part of the fun.

If you ever do your list, looking forward to it

I thought about it a bit, and this is what I came up with:

1) Damphousse
2) Kovalev
3) Richer
4) Souray
5) Price
6) Koivu
7) Subban
8) Tucker
9) Pacioretty
10) Gomez
11) Poulin
12) Markov
13) Plekanec
14) Savage
15) Corson
16) Odjick
17) Zednik
18) Audette
19) Gilmour
20) Gionta

There's some weird childhood favourites on there (e.g. Poulin, Audette, Odjick). To be honest, I was also obsessed with Tucker when I was a kid; he should probably be closer to the top 5. I remember crying when he was traded with Richer to TB.

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

1) Damphousse
2) Kovalev
3) Richer
4) Souray
5) Price
6) Koivu
7) Subban
8) Tucker
9) Pacioretty
10) Gomez
11) Poulin
12) Markov
13) Plekanec
14) Savage
15) Corson
16) Odjick
17) Zednik
18) Audette
19) Gilmour
20) Gionta

There's some weird childhood favourites on there (e.g. Poulin, Audette, Odjick). To be honest, I was also obsessed with Tucker when I was a kid; he should probably be closer to the top 5.

...Actually, Damphousse at #1 makes sense, but it's the issue is, I don't know how much of my appreciation of him is due to 1993.

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
...Actually, Damphousse at #1 makes sense, but it's the issue is, I don't know how much of my appreciation of him is due to 1993.

I only vaguely remember 1993. When he went to SJ, I started watching their games for a while. I'm not even sure why tbh, but he was so good and just became my favorite player when I was a kid.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

1) Damphousse
2) Kovalev
3) Richer
4) Souray
5) Price
6) Koivu
7) Subban
8) Tucker
9) Pacioretty
10) Gomez
11) Poulin
12) Markov
13) Plekanec
14) Savage
15) Corson
16) Odjick
17) Zednik
18) Audette
19) Gilmour
20) Gionta

There's some weird childhood favourites on there (e.g. Poulin, Audette, Odjick). To be honest, I was also obsessed with Tucker when I was a kid; he should probably be closer to the top 5. I remember crying when he was traded with Richer to TB.

I doubt that Gomez would make the top-30 on here.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Participation in democracy is decreasing, so I think that we'll end the experiment with positions #12-15. Everyone will get 4 votes.

Reactions: DavePeak

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL

1) Damphousse
2) Kovalev
3) Richer
4) Souray
5) Price
6) Koivu
7) Subban
8) Tucker
9) Pacioretty
10) Gomez
11) Poulin
12) Markov
13) Plekanec
14) Savage
15) Corson
16) Odjick
17) Zednik
18) Audette
19) Gilmour
20) Gionta

Hold up, so you're miffed Radulov's a fan favourite while you have Scott Gomez in your top 10 and ahead of Markov? lmao

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
Hold up, so you're miffed Radulov's a fan favourite while you have Scott Gomez in your top 10 and ahead of Markov? lmao

So?

Scott Gomez at least played 3 seasons with the Habs and significantly contributed to a legitimate playoff run. Radulov did neither.

I always liked Gomez, he was entertaining to watch carry the puck and was a elite playmaker in the NHL when he was good. He was also an interesting person and quite funny. I never developed much of an emotional attachment to Markov; he didn't have much character, despite being a really good player.

Reactions: DavePeak

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
I doubt that Gomez would make the top-30 on here.

He would if he had a salary of 3 million during his tenure here.

That's actually probably number 4 of biases; salary distortions shape people's perceptions of players and how much they are reveled or not in these polls.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
He would if he had a salary of 3 million during his tenure here.

That's actually probably number 4 of biases; salary distortions shape people's perceptions of players and how much they are reveled or not in these polls.

The salary, the cost of McDonagh, and the way his play fell off a cliff.

Gomez had one good season and two awful ones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad