Favorite Moment of 2013-2014 Season

Bluesin7

Jan 29, 2014
God I get chills watching all of these. And wow, we had some of the best hockey games played in years for us this season vs the Hawks. Absolutely amazing.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
The Tarasenko ties it goal was the only Blues game I've been able to attend in the past 3 or 4 years. We sank a chunk of change and traveled to STL, bought playoff tickets and watched. There was that sinking feeling when Chicago overcame the 2 goal deficit, then the indignation when Backes was boarded and knocked out.

I thought the team was going down, as the clock dwindled. Tarasenko's shot ignited the hugest explosion. On the Youtube, I can pick out my son and I in the back of the Club section jumping up and down. I picked him up and was throwing him into the air. We high-fived everyone we could reach around us. It was a tremendous moment.

I wish they'd followed through to win the series, but I think the injuries just became a little too much to overcome. They needed a special goalie performance somewhere along the way, and it just didn't happen. I think if the Blues had been able to limp into the second round they'd have had enough time to get sufficiently healthy to at least play their normal game.

Tarasenko has such a bright future. Frankly, I'm going to be surprised if he doesn't score 30 goals this season. But his clutch play is what stands out more than the numbers themselves.

Meatwagon

Blues=Overrated
Nov 15, 2010
Bi-polar Express
My favorite highlight of the year was the 1st game vs the Avs and the utter domination that ensued. Avs fans are easily the most arrogant bunch in the west and they were really on their high horse going into that game. They thought they were going to roll the Blues and expose them as frauds....and it blew up in their faces BIG TIME! Then that freakin cry baby Roy, eventually whinning about Backes punching his baby MacKinnon, should be a fun time next year! Cant wait to watch Stastny score a hattrick against Colorado. That was the Blues most dominant wire-to-wire win last year and showed the Avs what it takes to win against the better teams in the west.

But in typical Blues fashion, we lose 7 of our top 9 forwards, lose 6 straight and the Avs win the division. Thats why they call them the Blues. The fact that the Blues only needed to win 1 of the last 6 games and clinch the Central and home ice should have been a red flag going into the playoffs. Im surprised people were pissed that we got knocked out in the 1st round, after that debacle, it should have been a foregone conclusion they were going to lose.

To be a Blues fan, we just can't have anything nice around here :(

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I am going to go with a write in vote. I can't pinpoint the exact time, but there is always a moment in the season, well seasons when we are playing well, where I say "Holy crap, this team actually has a shot to make a run at the Cup." The dream eventually gets crushed, but it is my favorite point of every year and the closest to how I'd feel if we actually did win. This year it happened sometime before the trade deadline when we were pulling ahead in the division and playing well. I'd say it was when we beat Boston right before the Olympic break, but it is hard to pinpoint as it is a feeling, not an event. I thought that if we could just get a center to put us over the top...then we got Miller...then we saw Miller play...then we had 5 million injuries...then we drew Chicago...and then, well let's just say I never got back to that level of excitement again.

This is similar to what I felt in several games throughout the season, but for me, it was individual shifts. I remember times when we were working it around the zone, getting multiple chances, then getting a change in and keeping the puck in; just completely dominating, and I would say "Look at this...they can't do anything...wow, I feel really bad for the (team name) right now, this is horrible..."

Then there were those games, like that one against the Blackhawks where we kept coming from behind, where I thought "wow...this team might just pull this thing off..."

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
My favorite highlight of the year was the 1st game vs the Avs and the utter domination that ensued. Avs fans are easily the most arrogant bunch in the west and they were really on their high horse going into that game. They thought they were going to roll the Blues and expose them as frauds....and it blew up in their faces BIG TIME! Then that freakin cry baby Roy, eventually whinning about Backes punching his baby MacKinnon, should be a fun time next year! Cant wait to watch Stastny score a hattrick against Colorado. That was the Blues most dominant wire-to-wire win last year and showed the Avs what it takes to win against the better teams in the west.

But in typical Blues fashion, we lose 7 of our top 9 forwards, lose 6 straight and the Avs win the division. Thats why they call them the Blues. The fact that the Blues only needed to win 1 of the last 6 games and clinch the Central and home ice should have been a red flag going into the playoffs. Im surprised people were pissed that we got knocked out in the 1st round, after that debacle, it should have been a foregone conclusion they were going to lose.

To be a Blues fan, we just can't have anything nice around here :(
Personally I was pissed because they won the first 2 games with injuries against the hawks. Then they were swept....

They always do it, get me to believe and crush me. I didn't even watch game 6. I knew what was going to happen.

Rizzo90

Nov 10, 2011
Well it's gotta be Oshie's Olympic shootout. That is a moment that will never be forgotten. Just an amazing performance.

NHL-wise though, the triple OT game was incredible. As for the regular season, I'm gonna say the first time we crushed the Avs at home. Lit them up on the scoreboard, Oshie destroyed McGinn with a reverse hit, Reaves killed McLeod, Avs fans completely lost their minds after Stewart celebrated a win over Sarich in a fight and Patrick Roy probably went home and cried. That's your perfect game.

This was exactly where I was going. To add the barn burner here at home too. I was sittin right there when Soby destroyed "Douchesne" that whole game the STC was the loudest I've heard in many moons.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
This poll is making me remember that the only game I missed this past season was that first Colorado game. Not sure why, but my DVR canceled the recording, so when I got home all I had was the highlights. Of all the games to miss, that sounds like it was a very satisfying win.

Apr 28, 2013
St. Louis
I've quite literally removed all playoff memories from my mind, so I'll stick with the regular season. In no particular order

-Steen slapshot winner against the Hawks. Same night as game 5 versus the Pirates if I remember right. Pretty epic night downtown.

-November home game versus Colorado when we murdered them to the tune of 7-3 or something like that. Felt like we could have scored 10 and there were 3 or 4 great fights too. Sneakily probably my favorite game I've been to live.

-Comeback game versus the Hawks with the late Bergie goal

-LA home game when Quick was hurt. Nice to finally put a whooping on them

-Both games versus Toronto. We were such a nightmare of an opponent for them haha. Like watching a junior team play an NHL squad

kfox9611

Jul 31, 2008
Ontario
I was in STL for my first Blues game during the Chicago comeback game. Went on the ice during the second intermission.. and it was my first ever time in STL. Flew in that morning just for the game.

Greatest game Ive ever been to, and the greatest experience of my life!

That being said.. I still voted for the Tarasenko ties it part. Emotional goal after the Backes injury, capped off by Jax in OT. That could be a goal people look at after Tarasenko becomes a 35-40 goal a year guy, as a turning point and his coming out party.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I've quite literally removed all playoff memories from my mind, so I'll stick with the regular season. In no particular order

-Steen slapshot winner against the Hawks. Same night as game 5 versus the Pirates if I remember right. Pretty epic night downtown.

That game was epic. I was in the club level seats with my good friend and his wife. You are correct about that being the same night as the Cards game 5. My buddy and his wife are both from Chicago. It was hilarious because his wife was talking all kinds of smack all game. When Steen scored to win it, I just kind of looked over and smirked. She didn't have much to say at that point. The best part though, was Tom Callhoun turning the tables on all the Hawks fans. He made and announcement to the effect of "The Blues would like to thank all of our Cardinals fans for wearing red tonight to support them." The entire place erupted. It was awesome.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

-November home game versus Colorado when we murdered them to the tune of 7-3 or something like that. Felt like we could have scored 10 and there were 3 or 4 great fights too. Sneakily probably my favorite game I've been to live.

-Comeback game versus the Hawks with the late Bergie goal

-LA home game when Quick was hurt. Nice to finally put a whooping on them

-Both games versus Toronto. We were such a nightmare of an opponent for them haha. Like watching a junior team play an NHL squad
Oh yeah I forgot about those. :laugh:

I loved the game in Toronto. A good chunk of the first period had gone by and the shots were like 9-0 or something, Toronto had barely had control of the puck for more than 5 seconds. The Blues were literally taking candy away from a baby in that one.

Excellence9

May 7, 2013
Time for my first post after long time lurking! so lets start with an easy one. :nod:

I'll have to say Tarasenko's wrister against NSH, it's just an awesome goal and the thing he said to Elliott right before just make it unbelievable!

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
One of my favorite things about the Tarasenko goal is the traditions of Toews and Crawford, just completely let down. I thought we had them then but I should've known better. This franchise never has anything certainly.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Time for my first post after long time lurking! so lets start with an easy one. :nod:

I'll have to say Tarasenko's wrister against NSH, it's just an awesome goal and the thing he said to Elliott right before just make it unbelievable!
Welcome :)

That really was awesome. Reminds of him leading Russia back in the World Juniors against Canada. Some guys just come to play in big moments. I truly believe he is one of those players. Obviously against Nashville in the middle of the season wasn't a huge game, but the fact that he just took it upon himself to get the team back in it after we had just given up 3 unanswered goals was spectacular. Hope he does it more often. I'd like to see him be a bit more selfish. If he has a pass that makes sense, go for it, but if he has an opportunity to fire the puck on net, I'd much prefer that. Something about his release is really tough for goalies to pick up. His shot is really hard, but there are other guys that shoot the puck hard and goalies are able to make stops on them look routine. It never seems easy for a goalie to stop one of Tarasenko's shots. They always have to fight it off it seems.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I thought maybe we could also turn this thread into awesome moments from the season that maybe didn't warrant "Greatest Moment" status.

Like this....

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012

What a beauty pass by Schwartz.

Pretty awesome.

I was at this game right behind Miller in this period(just out of the picture). By far Miller's best game as a Blue. I thought this would be the turning point of the season honestly. He was unreal, and I could watch this save every day.

And the prettiest goal the Blues scored last year. Such a beauty.

Excellence9

May 7, 2013
Welcome :)

That really was awesome. Reminds of him leading Russia back in the World Juniors against Canada. Some guys just come to play in big moments. I truly believe he is one of those players. Obviously against Nashville in the middle of the season wasn't a huge game, but the fact that he just took it upon himself to get the team back in it after we had just given up 3 unanswered goals was spectacular. Hope he does it more often. I'd like to see him be a bit more selfish. If he has a pass that makes sense, go for it, but if he has an opportunity to fire the puck on net, I'd much prefer that. Something about his release is really tough for goalies to pick up. His shot is really hard, but there are other guys that shoot the puck hard and goalies are able to make stops on them look routine. It never seems easy for a goalie to stop one of Tarasenko's shots. They always have to fight it off it seems.

Thanks!

Yea i have always liked guys that have a fast release and still keep the power in their wrist shots and Tarasenko does that really well imo. I think the fast release is the difference between a routine save and a goal in most cases.

gumption

Jun 28, 2014
St. Louis
it might just be me, but when we played that home game against the oilers and we won 6-2 and when oshie scored a goal, perron had the greatest reaction:

his reaction starts around the 0:25 part

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
That Flyers game was Miller's one glorious moment with the Blues. It felt like it was almost going to happen after that game....and then it just didn't.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I like the turn this thread has taken. I think the disappointment of our post season run left a sour taste in all of our mouths. Remembering some of our better moments is a good way to enter the new season.

Also I would like to thank Fred Murtz, seeing how a lot of these clips were posted by him. Haven't seen him on here much during the off season, really hope he is back next season.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Love this clip how Sobotka show who is the man here.

Ofc funny stuff boys eating Buffalo wings. Priceless that end. -"Roman didnt get hot ones", -"No, no he's too soft"... :yo:

Dangit i miss Vladi and Roman.. :(

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Yeah, I remember finding the Buffalo Wings interview charming. Kind of sad now that both of them are no longer with the Blues. I know its part of professional sports, and the moves make sense (though still disappointed not to have Sobotka stowed away on the 4th line to deploy as a secret weapon). But I'll miss both of those players.

I really hope Roman is appreciated in Toronto. He's such an easy player to root for. I'd feel badly for him if somehow he became a fan scapegoat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad