fastest players into the hall

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
I dont think McDavid has done enough to make it in currently. Lets assume he retired today for whatever reason, he would be the biggest case of woulda coulda didnt.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Here I was thinking that the Stanley Cup was the most important trophy in the sport, but clearly I don't know how to build a one trick pony team like Edmonton
and here i was thinking that i said "5 OF THE most important trophies in the sport," but i forgot that hfboards is one of the least literate places on hf, and this thread proves just how obtuse and post-before-you-read this place is.

Reactions: Excitable Boy

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
As I mentioned in another thread, whoever thinks McDavid doesn't get in today with 5 individual awards and 3x 1st ASTs is delusional af. Find one player who has his trophy cabinet but isn't in the HOF?

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
Dryden made it to the hall on his first year while only playing 7 full seasons. I guess he would have made it with a few seasons less. His last few seasons were all cup winning seasons though so they mattered.

Reactions: Peter Puck

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Dryden made it to the hall on his first year while only playing 7 full seasons. I guess he would have made it with a few seasons less. His last few seasons were all cup winning seasons though so they mattered.

Probably the best choice here. Even though he played on a stack team he showed up.

Reactions: Peter Puck

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
I disagre. If he were to retire today it would be due to a major inury or something worse. Between his pure dominance and whatever tradgeydy happened he would be in. Maybe not first ballaot, but he wuld be in without question.
I’m trying to figure out where this “pure dominance” is. He has led the league in scoring twice. One time 11 points ahead of two players and one time six points ahead. Where is the dominance?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Gretzky is an obvious one.

Robert Orr

By the end of his 4th season he had....

- 3x Norris
- 1 x Smythe
- 1 x Art Ross
- Re wrote the record books for defensemen
- Calder
- 3x 1st AST, 1x 2nd AST
- 1 x Hart Trophy

FWIW he added another Hart/Norris/1st AST in his 5th season if you wanted to stretch it another year.

How many Dmen won even 1 Norris in their first 4 seasons?

3 Norris’ in a players first 4 years is amazing.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I’m trying to figure out where this “pure dominance” is. He has led the league in scoring twice. One time 11 points ahead of two players and one time six points ahead. Where is the dominance?

He is the only player to be at the top each year he has played minus the first year due to injuries. He is the player you always expect to get points and the team does as he does.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
He is the only player to be at the top each year he has played minus the first year due to injuries. He is the player you always expect to get points and the team does as he does.
He hasn’t been “at the top each year he has played.” He was second last year.

Expecting someone to get points I very different than dominating.

“The team does as he does?!?!” They have made the playoffs once in his time. Obviously the team doesn’t do as he does.

Get back to me when he has a stretch of winning the scoring race by 29, 65, 72, 79, 73, 74 and 75 points, then we can talk about him dominating.

Reactions: Khelandros

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
PS- Gretzky also led or was tied for first in his first 8 seasons. That’s dominating.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
He hasn’t been “at the top each year he has played.” He was second last year.

Expecting someone to get points I very different than dominating.

“The team does as he does?!?!” They have made the playoffs once in his time. Obviously the team doesn’t do as he does.

Get back to me when he has a stretch of winning the scoring race by 29, 65, 72, 79, 73, 74 and 75 points, then we can talk about him dominating.

So 2nd doesnt mean at the top to you? I did't say he was #1, I said at the top.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
How many Dmen won even 1 Norris in their first 4 seasons?

3 Norris’ in a players first 4 years is amazing.

Potvin also 2. in his first 5 seasons, his 3rd and 5th years to be exact.

Speaking of Potvin, in his first 5 years he had

- 2x Norris
- 1x Calder
- 3x 1st AST
- 1x 2nd AST
- Nominated for the Norris in his 2nd-5th seasons, the two years he didn't win he finished 2nd & 3rd.

Another great run (came as Orr's was ending too)

Paul Coffey won his first Norris in his 5th season.

Erik Karlsson won one in his 3rd season,

Its a rare feat, mainly because it takes defensemen to develop and hit their peak longer. Most hit their peak from 27-35ish.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
So 2nd doesnt mean at the top to you? I did't say he was #1, I said at the top.
If you are dominant, you don’t finish second, you finish way out in front. Do I need to put the definition of the word for you to read?
Its a different league. I'm not asking you to agree, nor do I care if you do. I see Mcdavid as the most dominante player in the NHL right now.
Yes, it is a different league, but finishing second one out of three seasons, is not dominant. Finishing only 11 and 6 points ahead in the two seasons he has led the league, is not dominant.

I do notice you ignored other parts of my post, I’m not surprised.

It is funny when someone says they don’t care (what you say or think) but have to respond to try to prove you wrong.

I’ll wait for you to use some facts to prove me wrong, like I did to you, instead of just saying “because I said so.”

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
If you are dominant, you don’t finish second, you finish way out in front. Do I need to put the definition of the word for you to read?

Yes, it is a different league, but finishing second one out of three seasons, is not dominant. Finishing only 11 and 6 points ahead in the two seasons he has led the league, is not dominant.

I do notice you ignored other parts of my post, I’m not surprised.

It is funny when someone says they don’t care (what you say or think) but have to respond to try to prove you wrong.

I’ll wait for you to use some facts to prove me wrong, like I did to you, instead of just saying “because I said so.”

Being the only player at the top every year is being the most dominante in the league. FFS, you are being pedantic.

I didn't ignore anything Gretzky is the most dominante to ever play, he is not the standard for dominating in a given year. I don't honld anyone ot his standard.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Being the only player at the top every year is being the most dominante in the league. FFS, you are being pedantic.

I didn't ignore anything Gretzky is the most dominante to ever play, he is not the standard for dominating in a given year. I don't honld anyone ot his standard.
The only one? Kucherov led the league in 18/19, was third in 17/18 and fifth (four points from second) in 16/17. You rave about me being pedantic when all I’m doing is using facts that shoot down the idea that McDavid has dominated the NHL...especially the nonsense that you are spewing.

You've ignored a number of things, just like cherry picking and flat out making up things to try to prove you’re right.

FFS just admit that nothing shows he is dominant and that you’re wrong.:laugh:

Reactions: Khelandros

MtoD

Feb 4, 2018
As I mentioned in another thread, whoever thinks McDavid doesn't get in today with 5 individual awards and 3x 1st ASTs is delusional af. Find one player who has his trophy cabinet but isn't in the HOF?

I think if he were to pick up and quit tomorrow.. he almost certainly wouldn't make it in.

I think if you were, for the sake of this thread, pretend the entire NHL shuts down tomorrow and evaluate his career up to this point.. he would obviously make it.

Different answers to different questions.

MtoD

Feb 4, 2018
I assume they will wave the waiting process for Crosby. Maybe Ovechkin as well.

I doubt it. I don't think they will waive the process for anyone anymore unless it's an issue related to health.

I think Brodeur had by far the best HoF resume in recent memory. No, not saying he's the best player/goalie but if you were to pick one goalie who should be in the Hall of Fame.. it would be the guy who owns most of the record-book. They didn't waive for him.

Also brings to point a caveat in how the HoF should be viewed. It's not the Hall of Most Talented Players. It's the Hall of Fame. Legacy, career statistics, trophies.. that matters more in the HoF than in a list of the best players of all time. HoF is for the greatest of all time, not necessarily the best.. and there's a distinction.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
I think it would be more interesting if people could mention players that seemed like (Hall of fame) locks in the making early on and then for whatever reason didn't end up there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad