fastest players into the hall

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
For example, if Connor McDavid retired today at age 22, he'd be in the hall having...
Hart
2x Art Ross
2x Pearson
4x All-Star
Nominations: Calder, Hart

Or Ovechkin, by age 23 with four years in the league he had...
2x Hart
2x Pearson
2x Richard
Ross
Calder
4x All-Star

who are some other players that pretty much immediately guaranteed their spot in the hall of fame?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Gretzky is an obvious one.

Robert Orr

By the end of his 4th season he had....

- 3x Norris
- 1 x Smythe
- 1 x Art Ross
- Re wrote the record books for defensemen
- Calder
- 3x 1st AST, 1x 2nd AST
- 1 x Hart Trophy

FWIW he added another Hart/Norris/1st AST in his 5th season if you wanted to stretch it another year.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
That doesn't guarantee McDavid to be in the HOF......
spongeskep.jpg

name a player with five of the most important trophies in the sport, plus other nominations, that weren't first ballot. let alone didn't make the hall.

Brent Burns

“”“Re-tooling on the fly”””
Feb 7, 2007
Poorly worded by OP, what he/she is asking is: who had an immediate impact such that they made a case for HoF from that early body of work alone.

Reactions: kerrabria

Hatfield

Jan 27, 2007
Winning the Hart is the surest ticket for HOF admission. While that’s less true now w/ Theodore and possibly Perry not making it in, the only other exceptions (I believe) were some WW2 era players. With that in mind, Gretzky, Crosby and McDavid winning it in their second years probably puts them at the top of the list.

Caveat is that it would depend on how/why the player retires. Injury or something like that might even bolster the player’s legacy. But if he retired after a couple average-to-sucky seasons it would obviously hurt his chances.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
For example, if Connor McDavid retired today at age 22, he'd be in the hall having...
Hart
2x Art Ross
2x Pearson
4x All-Star
Nominations: Calder, Hart

Or Ovechkin, by age 23 with four years in the league he had...
2x Hart
2x Pearson
2x Richard
Ross
Calder
4x All-Star

who are some other players that pretty much immediately guaranteed their spot in the hall of fame?

Seeing as you can't get in until after you're retired, the fasted inductees are the guys who got in without having to wait the full period. That list includes Gretzky, Lemieux, Belliveau, Lindsay, etc.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I disagre. If he were to retire today it would be due to a major inury or something worse. Between his pure dominance and whatever tradgeydy happened he would be in. Maybe not first ballaot, but he wuld be in without question.

If we play the "tragedy card" its a huge boost to anyone though. Id argue maybe even someone like Eichel or Matthews might make the HHOF under those circumstances.

You have to try and separate the "he retired early due to a tragedy - he had such a promising career - lets induct him because we feel bad" idea or it completely changes the premise of the OP.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
If we play the "tragedy card" its a huge boost to anyone though. Id argue maybe even someone like Eichel or Matthews might make the HHOF under those circumstances.

You have to try and separate the "he retired early due to a tragedy - he had such a promising career - lets induct him because we feel bad" idea or it completely changes the premise of the OP.

So we are under the assumption he just decided, "meh, I'm the best player in the game, but I'm going ot retire at 22"?? I'll stick with what is really the only likely scenario for any of them retiring at 22.

If you still don't like that, he has more prsonal awards than MANY people who are in the hall.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
I disagre. If he were to retire today it would be due to a major inury or something worse. Between his pure dominance and whatever tradgeydy happened he would be in. Maybe not first ballaot, but he wuld be in without question.

Hold up. What pure dominance? He led the league in scoring in 2016-17 by 11 points, with the guy behind him playing 7 less games. 2017-18 he won the title by 6 points. Kucherov beat him by 12 the following year and this year Draisaitl has 1 less point. He's been good, and putting up points, but "pure dominance" is stretching it.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
So we are under the assumption he just decided, "meh, I'm the best player in the game, but I'm going ot retire at 22"?? I'll stick with what is really the only likely scenario for any of them retiring at 22.

If you still don't like that, he has more prsonal awards than MANY people who are in the hall.

Im not disagreeing with you. I think the "tragedy card" would be a huge boost to anyone in a "if he retires today" scenario. People almost always overlook that so im glad you brought it up.

Im saying however you probably have to ignore it if you want to indulge the OP's premise if not it opens up the door in a huge way for many lesser players. Such as Eichel/Matthews/Mackinnon as of today for example. With a "tragedy retirement" - its plausible any of those are inducted.

Regarding McDavid - i agree he has enough merit with his accomplishments to make it.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Hold up. What pure dominance? He led the league in scoring in 2016-17 by 11 points, with the guy behind him playing 7 less games. 2017-18 he won the title by 6 points. Kucherov beat him by 12 the following year and this year Draisaitl has 1 less point. He's been good, and putting up points, but "pure dominance" is stretching it.

I am a Leafs fan, i LOATH the Oilers, I would like nothing more than to say McDavid is just good, but thats not true. He is the best in the game right now. Each year another player will step up and push him for the title that specific year. But it is safe ot say he will always be the one player who is near the top if not clearly at the top.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
I am a Leafs fan, i LOATH the Oilers, I would like nothing more than to say McDavid is just good, but thats not true. He is the best in the game right now. Each year another player will step up and push him for the title that specific year. But it is safe ot say he will always be the one player who is near the top if not clearly at the top.
1st - 80 GP, 92 goals, 120 assists, 212 points
2nd - 80 GP, 64 goals, 83 assists, 147 points

That is what pure dominance looks like.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Crosby and Malkin have a case for being HOFers by 2009, they were 21/22. They were both art ross winners with multiple 100 point seasons by that point. Throw in back to back cup finals appearances (one cup win) with incredible playoff performances by both (Crosby leading playoffs in scoring in 2008, Malkin in 2009) both years.

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
I don't think anyone's arguing McDavid is anything but the best guy going right now, but pure dominance implies head and shoulders above everyone which hasn't really happened (yet, his peak is still ahead of him).

Reactions: Khelandros

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad