fastest and most electrifying player

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
You can be fast and not electrifying, and by electrifying without being fast.

I'll use my definition of, "fear factor". If a guy can have he puck at his own blue line and begin to scare you or make you nervous, he qualifies:

In no particular order:

D. Savard
P. Coffey
P. Bure
I. Kovalchuk
J. Jagr
M. Lemieux
W. Gretzky
S. Crosby
B. Leetch (best stickhander of any defenseman I've seen, and he just killed the Flyers)

Lindros was electifying, but in a different way. Probably the most electrifying without the puck I've ever seen. Lindros on the forecheck chasing down a defenseman, ready to lay a devastating hit, was as scary as it got for defenseman.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Kharlamov should be right up there, though my viewing experience to date is limited to the Summit Series.

toastman344*

Robbie Ftorek was an excellent skater...although electrifying he wasn't...that'd be Orr

Kharlamov yeah...that's another great choice...fast and electrifying...D. Savard and Paul Coffey are good choices as well...

Nobody mentioned Gilbert Perreault ...I always loved that guy...He was a fine skater, smooth as silk and absolutely electrifying ...

None were in Orr's class though...

Last edited by a moderator:

J0e Th0rnton*

Bobby Orr easily. Bure was good, but he pales in comparison to Orr.

Orr was so fast that he could lead the charge up ice, but still be the first one back behind his own blueline if it didn't go in the opposing net.

He also had unbelievable puck control at top speed.

Valery Kharlamov is another who is pretty much up ahead of Bure.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Bobby Orr easily. Bure was good, but he pales in comparison to Orr.

Orr was so fast that he could lead the charge up ice, but still be the first one back behind his own blueline if it didn't go in the opposing net.

He also had unbelievable puck control at top speed.

Valery Kharlamov is another who is pretty much up ahead of Bure.
Its Orr & close behind is Bobby Hull. Both could go end to end. Hull was faster on the straightway & had the better shot. Orr had more high speed moves & could pick up speed quicker. Bure is quite a bit below these two.

slade

Jan 4, 2007
18 Winspear Ltd.
why are people bringing up skills competitions? brashear skated the rink in 15 seconds, who cares? skating fast in a timed situation is completely different.

wes walz consistently killed gaborik in his timed lap....who would be considered the faster skater?

bure was and still is the fastest player ive ever seen puck or no puck.

J0e Th0rnton*

I guess you didn't see any Bobby Orr highlights.

Exactly. Anyone who thinks Bure was the best needs to get some Orr footage.

Heck. Bobby hull is on record for asking a ref to drop a second puck so he could play a bit after his first game against Orr.

Orr used to kill penalties just by sheer puck possession and speed. He would skate behind his own net, fly out when someone came to get him, and fly back after deking by 2 other guys so fast they almost fell over.

Orr flying into the offensive zone was a thing of Beauty. The guy had Vision like Gretzky, but wheels beyond anything I have seen since and the stickhandling of Lemieux at top speed.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
Orr was my hero as a boy, and is still my #1 best player ever, but Bure was faster. Orr had more of a sense of controling the game, but in a race for the net, Bure would beat him by 2 strides from the red line in. I hate to say that, but after watching hockey for 37 years, it is a fact.

Russ Courtnall was one of the fastest skaters I've ever seen, fast as Cournoyer but had trouble carrying the puck at that speed. Marien Gaborik is a rocket when he accelerates, and the puck doesn't slow him down a bit.

Bobby Hull was probably the fastest of all-time, though. He was timed in the late 60's as skating at 29 MPH, which is unbelievable! Think about it, right now the fastest skaters are timed at around 23 MPH. Even if the equipment was a bit off, Hull was still going faster thatn anyone today can match. And he could shoot the puck harder than anyone in history, too! Scary!

Today's electrifying players for me include:

Afinigin-whatever from Buffalo...man, he's got moves and speed!
Gaborik
Ovechkin
Datsyuk...again, what moves!
...many others from night to night, but these are the ones that immediately come to mind.

J0e Th0rnton*

Orr was my hero as a boy, and is still my #1 best player ever, but Bure was faster. Orr had more of a sense of controling the game, but in a race for the net, Bure would beat him by 2 strides from the red line in. I hate to say that, but after watching hockey for 37 years, it is a fact.

Russ Courtnall was one of the fastest skaters I've ever seen, fast as Cournoyer but had trouble carrying the puck at that speed. Marien Gaborik is a rocket when he accelerates, and the puck doesn't slow him down a bit.

Bobby Hull was probably the fastest of all-time, though. He was timed in the late 60's as skating at 29 MPH, which is unbelievable! Think about it, right now the fastest skaters are timed at around 23 MPH. Even if the equipment was a bit off, Hull was still going faster thatn anyone today can match. And he could shoot the puck harder than anyone in history, too! Scary!

Today's electrifying players for me include:

Afinigin-whatever from Buffalo...man, he's got moves and speed!
Gaborik
Ovechkin
Datsyuk...again, what moves!
...many others from night to night, but these are the ones that immediately come to mind.

Having seen all 3, I still say Orr was faster than any of them.

Bure was flashier, Hull good, but not Orr.

Orr was faster than Bure from all I remember.

Bure1096

Mar 6, 2007
Florida
Bure with out question. First saw him play back in either 93-94 when i was 8 and for some reason whenever he had the puck something would happen. Since seeing him play everytime he had the puck i got goosebumps. Everytime in the offensive zone just holding, Holding, HOLDING. Then he takes a blistering shot either putting it past the tender or creating a chance for someone else. The most fluid skater the game has seen.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I think we've seen faster skaters than Bure in terms of pure speed, and better skaters in terms of combining speed, agility, balance, strength on skates, etc. But I would say that Bure was the fastest with the puck. Now, there might be various reasons for that (his work ethic when the puck wasn't on his stick), but the puck didn't slow him down one bit. Very, very few players can say that.

BTW, I very rarely saw Bure create a chance for someone else. He was a puck hog who showed little interest in making his teammates better players, except for Gino Odjick.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Having seen all 3, I still say Orr was faster than any of them.

Bure was flashier, Hull good, but not Orr.

Orr was faster than Bure from all I remember.

I'm certain both Orr and Hull had better top speed than Bure, but Bure was the one with better acceleration.

Bure was a fast skater but what made him special was that he could hit top speed in just a few strides. There were many players faster than Pavel, but I'm having a hard time thinking of anybody in the history of the game with Bure's acceleration (with the puck of course).

Bure1096

Mar 6, 2007
Florida
I think we've seen faster skaters than Bure in terms of pure speed, and better skaters in terms of combining speed, agility, balance, strength on skates, etc. But I would say that Bure was the fastest with the puck. Now, there might be various reasons for that (his work ethic when the puck wasn't on his stick), but the puck didn't slow him down one bit. Very, very few players can say that.

BTW, I very rarely saw Bure create a chance for someone else. He was a puck hog who showed little interest in making his teammates better players, except for Gino Odjick.

what i meant by creating chances for teamtes was after he took a shot... a rebound would come popping out waiting to be banged home. i know he was a hog with the puck but you couldn't blame him.

J0e Th0rnton*

I'm certain both Orr and Hull had better top speed than Bure, but Bure was the one with better acceleration.

Bure was a fast skater but what made him special was that he could hit top speed in just a few strides. There were many players faster than Pavel, but I'm having a hard time thinking of anybody in the history of the game with Bure's acceleration (with the puck of course).
Maybe acceleration. But its really not what this discussion is about. Im not sold on him accelerating faster having seen both.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv0-9Wi713o&mode=related&search=

Don't get me wrong. I thought Bure was among the most exciting since Orr, but he wasn;t Orr. Orr was more electrifying. Orr combined
Mario Lemieux stickhandling and hands with Wayne Gretzky vision and Bure's speed, also god given defensive talent and ridiculous puck possession skills.

He was the best most complete player I have ever seen play. Lemieux and Gretzky included.

XploD

Jun 2, 2006
Stockholm, Sweden
Maybe acceleration. But its really not what this discussion is about. Im not sold on him accelerating faster having seen both.
My take on fastest is mostly acceleration. Top speed isn't as vital as acceleration in game, you don't really hit top speed that often. I've seen some Orr highlights and some old game tapes and while he was the most dominant player to ever play the game I don't see him having better acceleration than Bure. Quite frankly I don't think it's even possible, might have been the perfect first three strides.

I guess it's kinda hard comparing players from different eras here though, given the changes in equipment.

IlyaAlexanderMalkin

Jun 20, 2006
Coeur d'Alene
I think that Gaborik's acceleration has to be up there with the likes of Bure. But Pavel is the most explosive skater and player I have ever witnessed live.

I wish I could have seen Hull and Orr live, but I will just have to live with old video.

slade

Jan 4, 2007
18 Winspear Ltd.
My take on fastest is mostly acceleration. Top speed isn't as vital as acceleration in game, you don't really hit top speed that often. I've seen some Orr highlights and some old game tapes and while he was the most dominant player to ever play the game I don't see him having better acceleration than Bure. Quite frankly I don't think it's even possible, might have been the perfect first three strides.

I guess it's kinda hard comparing players from different eras here though, given the changes in equipment.

wait- we actually agree on something? :handclap:

in all seriousness- i really dont see how orr was faster then bure. theres definitely nostalgia fogging up peoples glasses around these parts.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
wait- we actually agree on something? :handclap:

in all seriousness- i really dont see how orr was faster then bure. theres definitely nostalgia fogging up peoples glasses around these parts.
Its not necessarily nostalgia. It is very possible that Orr & Hull were faster than Bure. The documented fact is that Hull was measured at 29mph.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad