Post-Game Talk: Farts in the Desert

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Is there a source for this?

in anycase it wouldn't be the flu. Players get flu shots as prevention. So do I and I can't remember the last time I had the flu. I do occasionally get colds which is a much different thing and not nearly as disabling.

The "Flu" thing is an excuse. I've been saying all year this team can't play good games in a row. They spent too much energy in Anaheim and had little left for this game. Its the general conditioning level of this team that doesn't allow its core to play 60min 200ft hockey consistently in games. They just don't have the stamina for it.
You could see they were reasonable in first period and then just ran out of gas. Clearly they were running on fumes in 2nd and 3rd period. The day after one of their few 60minute efforts of the season. This **** was so predictable.

The flu vaccine can't cover every single flu strain out there. They're flying around the continent and potentially interacting with many possible strains, it's more than possible that they've been exposed and are now sick as a team.

It's happened in previous years, both to the Oilers and other teams around the NHL.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Given that neither is signed past this year not sure how you got the idea that they're supposed to transform anything.

Also prior to last night's game the Coyotes had a negative goal differential. "On fire" leads to a .909 sv% and a 2.94 GAA. Anders Lindback actually has vastly superior numbers, .928 and 1.99 respectively. Mike Smith is a goalie teams beat for fun, unless you're the Oilers I guess.

And you're not going to win too many games scoring a single goal. Blame last night on goaltending if you wish, it was just another game that the Oilers never threatened to win. Even after the Oilers scored first I said to myself that the Coyotes will come back because the Oilers play terrible with the lead.

Smith has been lights out every game I've seen this season. Yotes had a few bad games recently that elevated the GAA.
Smith did a lot of work onhis game in offseason and made the type of improvements that Dubnyk made last year.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Smith has been lights out every game I've seen this season. Yotes had a few bad games recently that elevated the GAA.
Smith did a lot of work onhis game in offseason and made the type of improvements that Dubnyk made last year.

They also haven't played the Central division as much as we have. They've had a soft schedule with many games against the East. Fortunately for them the 2015 Pacific division is one that the 2010 Oilers could win.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The flu vaccine can't cover every single flu strain out there. They're flying around the continent and potentially interacting with many possible strains, it's more than possible that they've been exposed and are now sick as a team.

It's happened in previous years, both to the Oilers and other teams around the NHL.

Whats happened more often is people being confused with nomenclature and reporting colds as "The Flu". One of the most mistaken things that go on. Most humans wouldn't even be capable of skating with a fullblown case of the flu. Which leads me to the point that the flushots offer various strains within the shot in any given year and even if the strain a person contracts is somewhat mutated or variant the flushot still usually affords some benefit in the person having some resistance to the particular strain in question.

Finally, flushots are composed based on strains that exist around the world. Going to Chicago and Winnipeg isn't going to result in appreciably different exposure than being in Edmonton. Going to non winter climates like California or Arizona would typically result in less exposure.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
I think till this year with mcdavid emerging people seen what a #1 center is supposed to play like. RNH is overrated by Oiler fans (based on consistency) and he hasn't elevated his game so you would have to say this what your going to expect from him year in year out. I'm a huge fan of RNH but he's been a disappointment and it's not just stats its what a lot of things you said. :handclap:

I STRONGLY disagree.

RNH could put up points like his rookie season if he didn't have to play a 200ft game. He has committed to that and is eating up a ton of minutes against the best the other team has to offer. He's second in the entire NHL in TOI. He's somehow still putting up decent stats (14P in 17GP), likely due to the quality of his forward teammates. He's basically ROR of the West playing against better competition. He's developing into a Toews, not a Sedin.

And you'll find lots of examples of Toews being inconsistent. That's what happens when you're playing defense. RNH doesn't benefit from having a powerhouse team bail him out when he goes cold.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Bruce McMcCurdy ‏@BruceMcCurdy 15h15 hours ago
Rumour has it Oilers battling a team flu bug. Based on what i've seen tonight (last 10 mins of 2nd) I certainly believe it.

Derek Van Diest ‏@SUNdvandiest 17h17 hours ago
Flu bug going around the #Oilers room. Few guys were looking a little pale this morning. #Coyotes #NHL

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Whats happened more often is people being confused with nomenclature and reporting colds as "The Flu". One of the most mistaken things that go on. Most humans wouldn't even be capable of skating with a fullblown case of the flu.

Depends on the virus and the individual.

Which leads me to the point that the flushots offer various strains within the shot in any given year and even if the strain a person contracts is somewhat mutated or variant the flushot still usually affords some benefit in the person having some resistance to the particular strain in question.

Flu shots usually cover three or four of the major strains going around at a given time. If the shot and the strain you encounter don't match, the shot won't matter.

Finally, flushots are composed based on strains that exist around the world. Going to Chicago and Winnipeg isn't going to result in appreciably different exposure than being in Edmonton. Going to non winter climates like California or Arizona would typically result in less exposure.

It depends on population, vaccination rates, the prevalence of the strain etc. But the point, again, is all it takes is one guy to catch something not covered by this year's shot.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I agree with this statement.

I think the problem with Yak is he was viewed as a skilled player when he was younger, in juniors his physical attributes and great shot we're enough to mask his lacking hockey IQ, and average puck skills. Going 1st overall only served to reinforce the "he's a highly skilled player" story line.

If Yak wants to be successful in this league he needs to redefine himself as a player. He needs to stop thinking of himself as a highly skilled playmaker, who needs the puck on his stick to be effective. If he changed his game to focus more on being a pest/puck hound who just dogs puck carriers, I think he will be much more effective. He needs to be disruptive, using his speed and energy to generate turnovers and then get to spots to take advantage of his great shot.

I really respect Yaks skill set...he has some serious tools to work with. That said there is a disconnect somewhere with him. I suspect that you are 100% correct about the way he thinks the game.

Re-inventing himself would be exactly the right thing for him to do. But that would mean changing many of the things that worked so effectively in Junior. Thats not easy for a player like Yak because thats all he knows. I would be a life long fan of Yakupov if he could recognize the need for change and take the necessary steps to do it.

Great kid, but all of this is right on the money.

I really like Yak the person...his attitude is infectious. Seems like a really decent guy. I just wish he could be the type of player that helps this team on a consistent basis.

I rarely agree with guymez on anything. I'm not sure how anyone could argue this truth.

Wait a minute....a supportive post from harpoon?

**Looks over shoulder for the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse.**

;)

Cheers mate. :)

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Depends on the virus and the individual.

Flu shots usually cover three or four of the major strains going around at a given time. If the shot and the strain you encounter don't match, the shot won't matter.

It depends on population, vaccination rates, the prevalence of the strain etc. But the point, again, is all it takes is one guy to catch something not covered by this year's shot.

The bolded is not at all accurate. More commonly there would be some similarity between viral mutations that exposure to one would offer the person some resistance to a mutated virus. Which either prevents or lessens the spread of the virus and its symptoms and or decreases the severity and length of the infection.

Its only virus that are so completely different, and mutated, and with enough contagion to become a pandemic that are so entirely different and unexpected that the flushot is rendered somewhat ineffective. No such pandemic is currently tracking afaik.

My job has me exposed to populations and workplaces where contagion is most pronounced and with regular annual flushots I haven't had a case of the flu, any case, in 20years. Prior to getting flushots completely different story.

I doubt the team actually have the flu and I doubt guys like McCurdy or Vandiest even know the difference between a flu and the common cold. Not flaming with that. Its just such a widely misunderstood bit of nomenclature. To the degree where people commonly self report virtually any contagion as the flu whether it be actual Influenza, or viral, or not..

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Suggested reading.

Vaccine Effectiveness - How Well Does the Flu Vaccine Work?

Key Facts About Seasonal Flu Vaccine

It's only the CDC though, so you may want to ignore them.

I am loath to get into this discussion but corruption involving the CDC and vaccines is a very real issue.

The CDC has very close financial ties to the vaccine manufacturers... not exactly a trusted source.

On July 21, 2003, United Press International published a report based on a four-month investigation that found a pattern of problems linked to vaccines recommended by the CDC, as well as a web of close ties between the agency's advisory panel and the pharmaceutical industry.

By investigating members of an advisory panel of outside experts that make vaccine recommendations, UPI found that members of the panel received money from vaccine makers through relationships that included: sharing a vaccine patent; owning stock in a vaccine company; payments for research; money to monitor vaccine testing; and funding for academic departments.

In fact, according to UPI, the CDC itself is in the vaccine business. Under a 1980 law, UPI found the CDC had 28 licensing agreements with drug companies and one university for vaccines or vaccine-related products and eight ongoing projects to collaborate on new vaccines.

http://anticorruptionsociety.com/tag/cdc/

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/RFK-Jr-vaccine-CDC-cesspool/2015/06/01/id/648103/

http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/articles/drugs-medical/CDC_Big_Pharma-00285.html#.VkY3BF7vT6g

Vaccine safety is another issue.

Last edited:

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Rumour has it Oilers battling a team flu bug. Based on what i've seen tonight (last 10 mins of 2nd) I certainly believe it.

Flu bug going around the #Oilers room. Few guys were looking a little pale this morning. #Coyotes #NHL

I doubt all 20 players were sick.

Maybe a few key players underperformed due to flu symptoms but the issue still comes back to lack of depth, lack of execution, poor preparation, bad deicions making, bad reads, poor goaltending, weak physical play, bad breakout, no killer instinct, ennui, bad shot selection, run-aroundedness, flubacity, whiffitude, general mind-malaise and game management.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I stopped getting vaccines and started getting twice per season, before it was 1 or none per season.

They did look sick last night

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I STRONGLY disagree.

RNH could put up points like his rookie season if he didn't have to play a 200ft game. He has committed to that and is eating up a ton of minutes against the best the other team has to offer. He's second in the entire NHL in TOI. He's somehow still putting up decent stats (14P in 17GP), likely due to the quality of his forward teammates. He's basically ROR of the West playing against better competition. He's developing into a Toews, not a Sedin.

And you'll find lots of examples of Toews being inconsistent. That's what happens when you're playing defense. RNH doesn't benefit from having a powerhouse team bail him out when he goes cold.

I think he's going to top out at Toews light, 65+ points and being stellar defensively. Which is fine, I'd take him over anyone else in the 2011 draft. He should not be traded. RNH, McDavid and Drasaitl are the new core of this team.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think he's going to top out at Toews light, 65+ points and being stellar defensively. Which is fine, I'd take him over anyone else in the 2011 draft. He should not be traded. RNH, McDavid and Drasaitl are the new core of this team.

I agree with this.

RNH is a 22 year old centre who has had to learn his craft the hard way...virtually no veteran sheltering.
I have a lot of time for him as a player.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015

Yeah screw that guy who is in the top 5 in the league in scoring at age 23.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

Thanks, I was not aware of this. I can cut them a little slack I suppose, but only for last night's game!

The flu sucks and with the flu shot only protects you so much. It happens.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Suggested reading.

Vaccine Effectiveness - How Well Does the Flu Vaccine Work?

Key Facts About Seasonal Flu Vaccine

It's only the CDC though, so you may want to ignore them.

Facts probably are not going to go over too well with some people. Try lizardmen or conspiracy theories about "big pharma" then you'll be speaking their language....haha.

All signs point to the flu it seems, so I guess I can cut them some slack. Hope they bounce back big time next game against the Kings.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Facts probably are not going to go over too well with some people. Try lizardmen or conspiracy theories about "big pharma" then you'll be speaking their language....haha.

All signs point to the flu it seems, so I guess I can cut them some slack. Hope they bounce back big time next game against the Kings.

You mean like the realities of CDC corruption I posted. Feel free to form an intelligent discussion as to why corruption doesnt exist despite all the evidence.

I suspect you and others wont be interested in that at all.

Its too inconvenient. Much easier to just parrot the accepted dogma.

Willful ignorance is so blissful.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
You mean like the facts of CDC corruption I posted.

Yeah...I suspect that some people wont be interested in that at all.

Its too inconvenient.

Very difficult to push against the willful ignorance of the status quo.

Believe whatever you feel like. I'm well past trying to discuss an issue like this with people. It's a waste of everyone's time. Your version of reality is far different than mine. Not much point in continuing down that road.

The boys were sick and it was reflected in their play. Combined with their usual weak play the got thumped. We are all surely hoping for more against LA.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Believe whatever you feel like. I'm well past trying to discuss an issue like this with people. It's a waste of everyone's time. Your version of reality is far different than mine. Not much point in continuing down that road.

The boys were sick and it was reflected in their play. Combined with their usual weak play the got thumped. We are all surely hoping for more against LA.

Ignore all the evidence you want...I am cool with that.

Having said that...trying to discredit a perfectly sound opinion with the 'conspiracy' mantra is really lame.
That word gets thrown around every time when a poster doesnt have a supportable counter argument.

As for the boys...it will pass. Especially quickly if they support their immune systems.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad