Post-Game Talk: *Fart noise*

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Shutting down two of the best players in the league over multiple games is easier said than done.

I'm reminded of the IRA's message to Margaret Thatcher after they tried and failed to assassinate her: Today we were unlucky, but remember we only have to be lucky once. You will have to be lucky always.

That is true, but I think it's the Jets' only shot at winning.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Kahun is 100% the weak link on his line, but he is doing all he can, and was significant part of the only goal with both his forecheck and his battle in front. And Yamamoto is snake bit offensively, but I thought he won a ton of battles against the Jets. I like his compete level. Nuge frustrated me WAY more.
Yamamoto and Draisaitl were getting crunched all night long, not sure Nuge absorbed a single hit. Says it all right there.

mcdingdong

Mar 21, 2019
It’s not arbitrary. I think that a shot from the face off circles and closer DOES represent strong scoring chances. From the top of the circles, NHL shooters can beat a goalie cleanly from there. At minimum rebound control is very difficult. If we disagree on that, fine. Some of the Oilers close shots were muffins too, so I consider that levelling the field. Playoff hockey requires a lot of willingness to drive the net, and the physical tools to do it. I didn’t see enough of that last night, whereas the Jets always had someone in the low slot. We were boxed out too often. That’s my opinion, worthless as that may be.

I mean, sure. You counted a bunch below the top of the faceoff circles but way out by the boards to get those numbers, I don't think anybody with their head on straight considers those 'chances'. Oilers had more tips in front than the Jets as well but nobody wants to mention those because narratives. End of the day the Oilers didn't give the Jets much at all but they got a double deflection and Smitty had a tough play on the first goal. Oilers win a game like that 8/10 times but instead easier to revert back to decade of darkness negativity and dump on the team.

McDavid will be better next game. Hopefully a few others step up. But our D play was quite good in the first game, just need to get some offensive mojo going again.

Reactions: PULSATING

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I mean, sure. You counted a bunch below the top of the faceoff circles but way out by the boards to get those numbers, I don't think anybody with their head on straight considers those 'chances'. Oilers had more tips in front than the Jets as well but nobody wants to mention those because narratives. End of the day the Oilers didn't give the Jets much at all but they got a double deflection and Smitty had a tough play on the first goal. Oilers win a game like that 8/10 times but instead easier to revert back to decade of darkness negativity and dump on the team.

McDavid will be better next game. Hopefully a few others step up. But our D play was quite good in the first game, just need to get some offensive mojo going again.
For starters, there is no need for the kind of verbiage in bold. Thanks. Second, I treated Oilers shots from bad angles just the same. No differential treatment. I do not have the count of tipped shots. Do you? I’d like to see that stat as that doesn’t match my perception. You claim the Oilers had more so I’d like to see your work. Also, what was your perception of traffic in the slot. Do you feel the Oilers had as much as the Jets? I do not. I think the Oilers are still very much in this, but to me they need to be much harder in the offensive slot and blue paint.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Yamamoto and Draisaitl were getting crunched all night long, not sure Nuge absorbed a single hit. Says it all right there.
Marchand is a smaller guy and Yamo needs some tips, could Yamamoto do the following "ducking move" without getting penalized? Yesterday a heavier Caps player was going for a hit into March against the bench, but March ducked below the opponent's hips and rolled him off.

Yamamoto was slippery along the boards but last night he was not reverse checking or using the glass/boards to absorb hits. He kept taking hits all game with that deer in the headlights look. He seemed totally shocked that players were trying to hurt him :eyeroll:

On Nuge... he often shies away from the puck against the boards when he sees a hit coming. He will throw a good hit once in a while. But he seems scared poopless of being hit against the boards. He is fragile though

mcdingdong

Mar 21, 2019
For starters, there is no need for the kind of verbiage in bold. Thanks. Second, I treated Oilers shots from bad angles just the same. No differential treatment. I do not have the count of tipped shots. Do you? I’d like to see that stat as that doesn’t match my perception. You claim the Oilers had more so I’d like to see your work. Also, what was your perception of traffic in the slot. Do you feel the Oilers had as much as the Jets? I do not. I think the Oilers are still very much in this, but to me they need to be much harder in the offensive slot and blue paint.

Bolded: Dude...the shot classifications are sourced straight from the link you posted. Hover your mouse over the shots graphic you presumably used to come up with your count.
Anyways, here's more re: tipped shots.

I didn't see the all-important traffic in the slot as particularly one-sided in either direction. My perception is that the Oilers carried the play, got a lot more chances than the Jets, and largely deserved a better fate despite a pedestrian night from some of their best players. This is supported by the stats you yourself posted to try and refute those claims.

Finally: commenting on whether a hypothetical someone's head is screwed on straight isn't particularly vicious verbiage by my estimation but I apologize for that if it triggered you.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I think we win last night if we gave up on trying to get point shots through. Jets were 100% dedicated to blocking the D's shooting lanes and obsessively covering McD/Drai. But we kept losing the puck in the o-zone because the D could not get through.

The coach needed to have one of the D pinch along the boards for support, instead of waiting in their powerplay positions at the top of the zone..
Also should have fired into the middle of the shins or just hard as f*** at the shot blocker. Make em pay or get a nice deflection into the slot

Reactions: Oilers 322

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Marchand is a smaller guy and Yamo needs some tips, could Yamamoto do the following "ducking move" without getting penalized? Yesterday a heavier Caps player was going for a hit into March against the bench, but March ducked below the opponent's hips and rolled him off.

Yamamoto was slippery along the boards but last night he was not reverse checking or using the glass/boards to absorb hits. He kept taking hits all game with that deer in the headlights look. He seemed totally shocked that players were trying to hurt him :eyeroll:

On Nuge... he often shies away from the puck against the boards when he sees a hit coming. He will throw a good hit once in a while. But he seems scared poopless of being hit against the boards. He is fragile though
I don’t want to see Yamamoto try to emulate Marchand in that regard by any means. He’ll stick his nose in and go to the tough areas, I like that.
Nuge on the other hand will never put himself at risk. Hell, last night I saw him defer to McLeod cuz he wouldn’t go the extra mile to make a play. Can’t win with guys like that, and after 10 years we haven’t won much.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Bolded: Dude...the shot classifications are sourced straight from the link you posted. Hover your mouse over the shots graphic you presumably used to come up with your count.
Anyways, here's more re: tipped shots.

I didn't see the all-important traffic in the slot as particularly one-sided in either direction. My perception is that the Oilers carried the play, got a lot more chances than the Jets, and largely deserved a better fate despite a pedestrian night from some of their best players. This is supported by the stats you yourself posted to try and refute those claims.

Finally: commenting on whether a hypothetical someone's head is screwed on straight isn't particularly vicious verbiage by my estimation but I apologize for that if it triggered you.

Regarding the tipped shots, I stand corrected. I looked at the shots on my phone so I didn’t see a mouse hover option to tell type of shot. I agree that the Oilers carried more of the play, but I would’ve lost money betting that the Jets had more tips. I was incorrect and I admit that. I do still feel that it’s being too kind to the Oilers to just chalk it up to “well the Oilers outplayed the Jets. Had no luck. Hockey is hockey.” I think the Jets played a better playoff style game and I think the Oilers need to tighten their chin straps and get in there more. To my eye, they were too often on the perimeter.

Finally: an apology with a backhanded insult like the one you just made is not an apology. I’m not asking for an apology anyway, so keep it next time. I thought you made and unnecessarily impolite comment in an otherwise polite debate and I didn’t want to ignore it. So if that’s triggered, then so be it.

mcdingdong

Mar 21, 2019
Regarding the tipped shots, I stand corrected. I looked at the shots on my phone so I didn’t see a mouse hover option to tell type of shot. I agree that the Oilers carried more of the play, but I would’ve lost money betting that the Jets had more tips. I was incorrect and I admit that. I do still feel that it’s being too kind to the Oilers to just chalk it up to “well the Oilers outplayed the Jets. Had no luck. Hockey is hockey.” I think the Jets played a better playoff style game and I think the Oilers need to tighten their chin straps and get in there more. To my eye, they were too often on the perimeter.

Finally: an apology with a backhanded insult like the one you just made is not an apology. I’m not asking for an apology anyway, so keep it next time. I thought you made and unnecessarily impolite comment in an otherwise polite debate and I didn’t want to ignore it. So if that’s triggered, then so be it.

Tighten up dude, you're coming across as pretty dang soft. You can't be calling out the Oilers players' willingness to bang and crash and get to the hard areas and then turn around and pull this!

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton

The jets did play a better game playoff wise. So many little loose puck battles that we lose because our guys are too soft to engage and reach, etc.

Jets also were allowed to maul guys as well.

I lost track of how many times we were in a board battle and did not come out with the puck.

Reactions: Messrules11

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I don't think we play BAD but we didn't play well enough to guarantee a win. Sure with a lucky bounce we could have tied it but we are "supposed" to be the better team. We handily won the advance stats for sure and had more prime A chances.

After last night it doesn't matter... the harder working team that gets bounces will win this series.

Reactions: HK97 and Drivesaitl

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Tighten up dude, you're coming across as pretty dang soft. You can't be calling out the Oilers players' willingness to bang and crash and get to the hard areas and then turn around and pull this!
So I’m just supposed to give you a pass when you say my heads not screwed on straight and play the old “I’m sorry my little comment hurt your sensitive feelings” card? You’re coming off pretty soft not being able to handle some pretty mild criticism.

Reactions: mcdingdong

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
Gotta love that chip off the boards into the middle from the ref as soon as we pull the goalie.

Need to be better if we're going to have a chance though.

I think if it hits the ref it should be blown down immediately. It should be akin to going out of play. it is enough that they dictate what gets called but far too often it leads to a scoring chance and I am a Jets fan.

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
I think if it hits the ref it should be blown down immediately. It should be akin to going out of play. it is enough that they dictate what gets called but far too often it leads to a scoring chance and I am a Jets fan.

That was a recent relatively recent rule change in soccer. It has worked well. Might be a little less practical in hockey (or should carry a judgement ruling about whether or not it significantly altered play, although, that could get quite subjective and the refs struggle enough as is).

Reactions: johnnyonthspot

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
That was a recent relatively recent rule change in soccer. It has worked well. Might be a little less practical in hockey (or should carry a judgement ruling about whether or not it significantly altered play, although, that could get quite subjective and the refs struggle enough as is).

In theory this works, but there will inevitably be stupid decisions made as a result.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I don’t want to see Yamamoto try to emulate Marchand in that regard by any means. He’ll stick his nose in and go to the tough areas, I like that.
Nuge on the other hand will never put himself at risk. Hell, last night I saw him defer to McLeod cuz he wouldn’t go the extra mile to make a play. Can’t win with guys like that, and after 10 years we haven’t won much.
i was called a troll for saying if Nuge wont take less than he current he can walk. but he just isnt built for physical hockey

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
I think you must have slept through that playoff, other than Drai's 3 goal game in a blowout. McDavid was their best player and it wasn't even close.
I think there’s a lot of revisionist history surrounding Drai in that playoff run because he was abysmal in the San Jose series and the frustration was visible leading up to him spearing someone in the groin and getting suspended a game. His dominance in the Anaheim series and particularly the one blowout game has somehow been spread to the whole playoffs.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
I think there’s a lot of revisionist history surrounding Drai in that playoff run because he was abysmal in the San Jose series and the frustration was visible leading up to him spearing someone in the groin and getting suspended a game. His dominance in the Anaheim series and particularly the one blowout game has somehow been spread to the whole playoffs.
He didn’t get suspended he was fined.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad