Farm League of KHL teams 2016/2017

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
I went ahead and moved it from Hockey premier league to Hockey Premier League for you. Yes, Wikipedia is picky about capitalization.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
If affiliate teams of KHL franchises are obliged to join HPL, then what happens to VHL now? Almost all VHL teams were affiliates of KHL teams; the only exceptions are Ryazan, Perm, Lipetsk, Kazzinc-Torpedo and Tver, if I am not mistaken.
Most of the teams are only "loosely" affiliated with KHL parants. They agree to take on couple of kids that will help them and that's that. Team like Saryarka, for example, will never be a real feeder to Omsk. Team management is simply too ambitious for that, and that kinda is the reason why this league is even brought up.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Who would be Jokerit's affiliate? Blues? They would be lucky to have a three-digit number of spectators at their games.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Who would be Jokerit's affiliate? Blues? They would be lucky to have a three-digit number of spectators at their games.
I thought the same thing, the only realistic win-win situation for Jokerit: Espoo gets their team back and Jokerit won't have to waste too much money (and Blues isn't even a guarenteed success/money saver)

Creating a brand new team farm team will just be a waste of money for Jokerit, they could just use create some kind of affiliation system with a Mestis team instead

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Most of the teams are only "loosely" affiliated with KHL parants. They agree to take on couple of kids that will help them and that's that. Team like Saryarka, for example, will never be a real feeder to Omsk. Team management is simply too ambitious for that, and that kinda is the reason why this league is even brought up.

In this case, can we expect almost all KHL teams (the ones without REAL feeders) to create new farm teams? Because, otherwise, these ambitious teams like Saryarka would have to switch to HPL as farm teams, therefore hitting VHL hard. If I am not mistaken, there are only a bunch of feeders directly controlled by KHL teams. Weird stuff. Looking forward to see what's gonna happen and how it's gonna work.

Honestly I liked VHL as it is. Russia or KHL in general needs a second-tier tournament. An isolated development league? That's open to talk, but a second-tier league with fans and partly independent teams is definitely needed... Limiting the ice hockey in Russia to 28 ice hockey teams, some of them out of the country, would kill it all in the long run. How will you produce KHL-level ice hockey players when there is nobody else to play competitive hockey?

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
In this case, can we expect almost all KHL teams (the ones without REAL feeders) to create new farm teams? Because, otherwise, these ambitious teams like Saryarka would have to switch to HPL as farm teams, therefore hitting VHL hard. If I am not mistaken, there are only a bunch of feeders directly controlled by KHL teams. Weird stuff. Looking forward to see what's gonna happen and how it's gonna work.

Honestly I liked VHL as it is. Russia or KHL in general needs a second-tier tournament. An isolated development league? That's open to talk, but a second-tier league with fans and partly independent teams is definitely needed... Limiting the ice hockey in Russia to 28 ice hockey teams, some of them out of the country, would kill it all in the long run. How will you produce KHL-level ice hockey players when there is nobody else to play competitive hockey?

I read that people in charge of the league are hoping for at least 12 participants so seems that that wont be an issue as league currently have 28 teams and not everyone is willing/capable to afford another full roster travelling between Omsk and St.Petersburg.

My bet is that there will be no foreign team in the league and your usual budget teams like Novokuznetsk will stay out of this project.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
In this article author names the following candidates to participate in the new league:

Dynamo
SKA-Neva
Chelmet
Toros
Bars
Zvezda
Lokomotiv new farm team
Dinamo Riga new farm team
Neftekhimik new farm team (based in Naberezhnie Chelny)
Khimik
Yuzhniy Ural
Sarov
Sariarka
Neftyanik

Still author expects 12 teams to participate next season with 44 games each + playoffs. Limitations: only 5 U20 and 5 over-28 players are allowed.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Why do they need any over-28 players? Rehab assignment?

To play Kovalchuk somewhere. :sarcasm:

Actually, I think it is for guys like Pronin - to provide experienced player a way to end their career in the system (and possibly to stay in the system later) and, on the other hand, to get some veteran presence to help young guys.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
This idea just like the khl is great on paper, but the execution based on the track record....

Obviously majority of these teams will not have any fan base.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Also they probably don't want to have NHL/AHL kind of situation where player who is being called up and down consistently during the season has to fly across the country countless times. Also if you were a player you probably simply wouldn't sign with a team if you knew you will be spending most of the season in a ridiculous place like Volzhsk or Angarsk.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I was thinking about Magnitogorsk and Orsk as a good example - Orsk has a decent fanbase, still that's not too far away.

Just it is hard to hope for attendance while keeping the farm team in Chekhov, there are places much better in terms of fans and not far away from Moscow, like Tver or Elektrostal.

Salavat Yulaev

Jul 20, 2013
Almaty
Actually I don't understand what's the problem with fan base? For example Toros or Saryarka. They played in VHL and had a lot of fans. Will fans disappear once their teams start play in Premiere league? No.

Arlus

Apr 3, 2014
Europe
One solution with this fan base would be to change the traditional way of playing the matches.
They should have something like final four thing, with a couple of teams (not necessarily 4) playing during the weekend... this will depend on the total number of teams, geographical positioning, etc., but you could have 3 or more series of matches in one weekend. As at this point we don't know many details, I can't see why would not be possible to play in cities with no hockey club... From my point of view this would generate some interest and also would develop the game.

Salavat Yulaev

Jul 20, 2013
Almaty
Some more rumours about Sariarka joining the new league as Avangard's farm team. That will be a huge loss for VHL if it happens.

In the same time it is interesting case because the teams belong to different countries. There are many ethnic Kazakhs in Omsk who roots for Avangard. Now there will be much more fans of Omsk in Kazakhstan

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
In the same time it is interesting case because the teams belong to different countries. There are many ethnic Kazakhs in Omsk who roots for Avangard. Now there will be much more fans of Omsk in Kazakhstan

Karaganda is not that far to Omsk considering how vast Siberia is, so not a major problem imo. And as you said, there are many Kazakhs in Omsk. This collaboration could actually work really well.

Last edited:

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Actually I don't understand what's the problem with fan base? For example Toros or Saryarka. They played in VHL and had a lot of fans. Will fans disappear once their teams start play in Premiere league? No.

How about the rest of the teams? Hockey is for the fans, why make these teams without fan-base for oligarch teams to play there backups? What happens when Oligarchs don't want to pay for them anymore, everything falls apart like a house of cards.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Judging by the rumours in press, Zauralye (as a farm for Novokuznetsk) and a team based in Samara (as a farm for Lada) are in the conversation too.

5 u20 and 5 over 28 seems like a strange idea to me.

I don't know, some 'extra talented' (U20 NT caliber) guys and some veteran presence/pre-retirement guys - seems totally fine to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad