Farm League of KHL teams 2016/2017

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
It is rather an old news but I just learned it.
New league will be launched this August (2016/2017).
GM of Salavat Mr. Vaisfeld said that Toros will leave VHL and play in this league.

It is rather old? :amazed: I've just heard it from you. What's the point of this league? I mean, why is this one being implemented instead of VHL? What are the differences? Any information, article etc. would be welcomed!

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
The issue with VHL is that it is too independent and, imo, a bit stagnating. Currently you can have only 6 players sent down to VHL (I think it is not including MHL eligible players though), which is not exactly ok with the biggest KHL teams, who would like to have more flexibility in terms of assigning players to their affiliate.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Maybe in the future this league will eat the VHL up... some VHL teams have a strong following...
It's however a puzzling decision, I think the VHL as it is now kind of works

I think VHL is too result oriented league, and KHL teams need a real farm league, or they think they need it. Russian football Premier League closed its farm league, and it had a history of dozens years. As to hockey, there has never been such a league.

Ah, sorry, Russian football league hasn't closed its farm league, so perhaps KHL follows the same way.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I see this situation as an open war between KHL and VHL: KHL patiently expected VHL to become an AHL-like affiliate league, VHL refused. Therefore the proposed KHL-VHL-MHL system is missing it's crucial piece and it has to be replaced with something.

Creation of this new league has a strategic goal of pushing VHL to the third tier of pro hockey and replacing it (as a second tier league) with this new league. Already next season I expect at least Toros, Dynamo, SKA-Neva, Izhstal, Sarov, Chelmet, Khimik, Zvezda, Bars and Yuzhny Ural to leave VHL for the new league. VHL might have some reinforcements from VHL-B, but still it will be a major hit for them.

It's a shame that KHL and VHL couldn't find a solution together, but it is what it is, so I guess there is no other way.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
If affiliate teams of KHL franchises are obliged to join HPL, then what happens to VHL now? Almost all VHL teams were affiliates of KHL teams; the only exceptions are Ryazan, Perm, Lipetsk, Kazzinc-Torpedo and Tver, if I am not mistaken. If these will also be included in HPL, then what's the point of this new league, as everything is essentially same? I really do not get the idea. Do not take this as a criticism; I simply do not understand the concept. Why was this even needed? If classical teams like Angarsk, Kazzinc-Torpedo etc. will be eradicated because of this decision, then *** this league.

By the way, thank you Alessandro, for the write-up and Wikipedia page. I totally agree with you on the part where you said the competition will be less fierce. On paper, having a more flexible "backyard" for KHL teams seems logical; but considering the fact that these are hockey teams and the aim is to create a more competitive atmosphere, thus better players, I do not really think it will work. How are you supposed to create stars for KHL with a league nobody watches and where players are not that competitive? At least, not as in VHL?

I am more interested to see what will happen to the teams that refuse playing in HPL, or simply cannot play there.

Last edited:

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Btw any wikipedia expert that knows why the link to the HPL page in the main KHL page doesn't work?

I am not sure if Wiki is case sensitive, but the name reads on KHL page is "Hockey Premier League" whereas the HPL article you created is "Hockey premier league". Could it be this? Even if not, you can click on this non-existent article at the moment, and copy everything you wrote on "Hockey premier league" to that one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad