Patriots/NFL Farewell, Tom Brady - It's Official: TB12 to TB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
::Pats first round pick turn comes up at the draft::

Fans: That high ceiling super athletic WR that we've been crazy about is on the board, I'm pumped and can't wait to see him in a Pats jersey
Goodell: "We have a trade to announce....the Patriots have traded the pick to Houston for two seconds rounders"

::second round pick comes up::

Fans: I can't believe it, somehow the WR we've been targeting is still there! I can't believe Bill pulled this off and got an extra second! Slam dunk pick right here!
Goodell: With the 40th pick in the 2020 NFL draft, the New England Patriots select....from Rutgers, safety..."

Fans: "Nooooooooo"

Ironically, all those Rutgers DB picks worked out. Now, if it's "...from Stanford, safety...", then we can panic.

Really, they have so many areas where they need an injection of youth, I wouldn't be mad with just about any pick that's not a RB or CB. I keep seeing people just assume that they'll take Jordan Love. Personally, I don't see it. He threw a ton of INTs and he's not a good decision-maker, which goes against everything the Patriots want at QB. I think they'll draft a QB, but not until at least the 3rd round.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
I keep seeing people just assume that they'll take Jordan Love. Personally, I don't see it. He threw a ton of INTs and he's not a good decision-maker, which goes against everything the Patriots want at QB. I think they'll draft a QB, but not until at least the 3rd round.
Agreed.

Virtually nothing I've seen from Love screams "Patriots Quarterback" to me.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad and CDJ

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Agreed.

Virtually nothing I've seen from Love screams "Patriots Quarterback" to me.

This isn't like WR, where they seemingly have no idea what they're doing, and you get a range of player types.

Look at the recent QBs that they've drafted (Stidham, Brissett, Garoppolo). Obviously not the same exact players, but it feels like they've got somewhat of a type . Jordan Love would be an outlier to that group. I feel like Fromm would fit what they're looking for, but I don't know if they spend a 3rd rd pick on a QB this year. I'd bet they're more likely to take a flier on someone in the 6th or 7th.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The way in which the Patriots media has been starting to pump Stidham's tires over the last couple weeks pretty much assures you they're not going QB in the first round.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
This isn't like WR, where they seemingly have no idea what they're doing, and you get a range of player types.

Look at the recent QBs that they've drafted (Stidham, Brissett, Garoppolo). Obviously not the same exact players, but it feels like they've got somewhat of a type . Jordan Love would be an outlier to that group. I feel like Fromm would fit what they're looking for, but I don't know if they spend a 3rd rd pick on a QB this year. I'd bet they're more likely to take a flier on someone in the 6th or 7th.
Yeah I doubt they spend a 3rd for Fromm, who I do like. Just seems high for them, especially after spending a 4th on Stidham last year.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Probably would have enjoyed his time here more if he caught that damn football and wasn’t partially blamed for losing the super bowl

I didn’t particularly enjoy watching those teams either tbh. Felt like they got shredded by every QB in the league for like 3-4 years there

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Didn't the fan base blame Welker for losing a super bowl? Or just Giselle?
He did cost us that superbowl and played a big role in helping to cost us the AFC championship game a year later.

Probably would have enjoyed his time here more if he caught that damn football and wasn’t partially blamed for losing the super bowl

I didn’t particularly enjoy watching those teams either tbh. Felt like they got shredded by every QB in the league for like 3-4 years there

I hated that 2011 team. They were infuriating to watch, incredibly flawed on both sides of the ball, and even in games they won they always almost blew leads in the end. They were lucky to get to the Superbowl that year because Tebow upset the Steelers and Billy Cundiff shanked the kick. They weren't fun to watch, every Sunday was torture.

I contrast it to the 2010 team who I loved, one of my favorite regular season Pats teams of all time. They crushed people, their games were fun, the offense was lighting it up still and could score at will and the defense was aggressive and made plays led by their young linebackers and a rookie McCourty at CB. Then one sloppy performance in the divisional round with one too many mistakes and they end up as a 14-2 one-and-done. One of the biggest disappointments of the whole dynasty for me.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Welker was expecting the throw inside and Brady put it on his other shoulder. Defender was inside, so I get why Brady put it where he did but that was not one of his better throws. Welker should have read it, for sure though, but they did still have another down.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
LOL I saw the Welker comment and laughed.

Last year in NE when he wasn't having fun - 16 gp / 118 rec / 1,354 yards

Last 3 years of his career w/ DEN & STL, having fun - 35 games / 135 rec / 1,344 yards

Reactions: N o o d l e s

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I'm only now starting to be able to appreciate Welker for his good times with the Pats. I was really mad at him for a long time because of the drops, then leaving for our biggest rivals in free agency, then his cheap pick play in the AFC championship in 2013 where he knocked Talib out with a concussion. He wasn't quite in Ray Allen hate territory, but close. But now enough time has gone by that I can look back at 2007-2012 and appreciate what he accomplished.

Reactions: CDJ

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Honestly, I don't move Edelman unless you get a sweetheart offer (IE a 2nd from DET)

Having a reliable guy for Stidham along with a healthy OLine and running game would do wonders for him. It's the same blueprint they had for Brady in 2001.

Reactions: CDJ

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Honestly, I don't move Edelman unless you get a sweetheart offer (IE a 2nd from DET)

Having a reliable guy for Stidham along with a healthy OLine and running game would do wonders for him. It's the same blueprint they had for Brady in 2001.

Yeah, I don't think they're trading him as a pure salary dump. He's only getting traded if you're getting more value back then he'd provide (as you said, a 2nd rd pick).

In terms of the cap, the top moves are extending Gilmore and Hightower, and then extending or trading Thuney.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I'm only now starting to be able to appreciate Welker for his good times with the Pats. I was really mad at him for a long time because of the drops, then leaving for our biggest rivals in free agency, then his cheap pick play in the AFC championship in 2013 where he knocked Talib out with a concussion. He wasn't quite in Ray Allen hate territory, but close. But now enough time has gone by that I can look back at 2007-2012 and appreciate what he accomplished.

He overvalued himself, and when it turned out that the market valued him lower than he thought, the Patriots wouldn't wait and pulled their offer. It was smart too because Amendola turned into a clutch playoff performer. Welker then made a dumb decision to go play with Peyton "King of the Hospital Pass" Manning.

He missed out on winning a Super Bowl, and lost any chance of making the Hall of Fame. In his 6 years in NE, he average 112 receptions, 1,240 yards, and 6 TDs. Over that time, he was 1st in receptions and 4th in yards. If he kept up another 2-3 years of those numbers, he might have had an outside shot of making the Hall of Fame.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
I would trade him, we need the cap space so badly right now.
Grab what you can.
I would think we could only get a 3rd or 4th round pick due to his contract?

Problem is he creates way more cap space trading him after June 1st I believe. However if that is true I’m okay with getting picks next year for him as well

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Problem is he creates way more cap space trading him after June 1st I believe. However if that is true I’m okay with getting picks next year for him as well
He will still carry a dead cap hit of 8.3 million if he's traded post-June 1.

Honestly, they need to just keep him unless they're blown away, since they cap get out of the deal after the 2020 season while only carrying a dead cap of 2.6 for 2021.

They aren't going to get anything of value in a deal.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
LOL I saw the Welker comment and laughed.

Last year in NE when he wasn't having fun - 16 gp / 118 rec / 1,354 yards

Last 3 years of his career w/ DEN & STL, having fun - 35 games / 135 rec / 1,344 yards

Production does not equal happiness for WRs. Just look at the more productive WRs in the nfl in recent times. Most of them have expressed their displeasure and/or demanded trades once (or more) in their careers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad