Post-Game Talk: Farewell Bruce

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Win was nice but not liking the constant line shufflings ..
Hyman is the only one who has looked good with any other forward... Clicked with McD, Drai and Nuge.. he even looked good with Foegele.

Kostin- Nuge-Puljujarvi also looked good but lost when McDavid centered them .

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Hyman is the only one who has looked good with any other forward... Clicked with McD, Drai and Nuge.. he even looked good with Foegele.

Kind of thought that too. When Nuge is on he involves others in the play. When Connor drops down theres some tendency for him to take rushes more on his own. Kostin and Pulju benefit more from cycle plays. Working pucks downlow.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
And that was a very weak challenge. The puck was by Martin before Hyman even touched him.

I’m still annoyed by that one.

Is it just me or has the NHL fallen back into reversing goals on VERY suspect interference calls again this year? I thought they have for the most part done a good job of avoiding overturning the BS ones where they stand there for 5 mins looking for a reason to overturn it the last few years, but it seems to be back all of a sudden. That one was a really, really bad call.

Reactions: Oilhawks and TB12

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
Maybe it’s because Bruce gives off innocent Grandpa vibes but the way he’s been treated by that classless group had me feeling like I was watching a funeral clip 😂
Okay, I haven't been following this very closely, but from what I can tell, the only issue is that the media is making this a huge story. Without the media pushing this every night, it's just a good coach on a bad team. Media's fault, unless someone can convince me otherwise. P.S. I hate the media

Reactions: Cournoyer12

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Is it just me or has the NHL fallen back into reversing goals on VERY suspect interference calls again this year? I thought they have for the most part done a good job of avoiding overturning the BS ones where they stand there for 5 mins looking for a reason to overturn it the last few years, but it seems to be back all of a sudden. That one was a really, really bad call.
It looks to me like they have. And the call on the ice was good goal which makes it worse. There should be compelling evidence that the contact impacted the outcome which in this case it undeniably did not. When the puck hit Hyman there had been no contact and there is no way Martin would have stopped the puck in any case.

The argument is based around "protecting goalies". I could see the goalie interference call on Ryan falling under that motive even though it was a bit cheesy. But the contact Hyman made with Martin was very minimal. So I do wonder if it is score related. Would that goal have been reversed if the Oilers were down 2??? I am definitely not a conspiracy theory type but I firmly believe that game management plays a significant role in how these things play out.

Last edited:

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
At the risk of sounding like one of those idiots who thinks McDavid and Draisaitl are the team's biggest problems (some of you are out there), I will say that I'm a little concerned about Drai. Yes, the guy has 10 points in five games, is second in NHL scoring, and is pacing to have a huge season. He's awesome and I love him, of course.

But let me explain...

This season, I have only rarely seen the consistent excellence---esp. at 5 on 5---from Drai that was his hallmark, say, in 2019-20, and at times since then (I still think the first 20 games of last season is the best hockey he's ever played). I mean, he's still tied for 9th NHL in ES points, so I'll take it, but there's not really been any time this season where I've felt like his line---the one without McDavid---has worked with any consistency at all. Part of this is because he always has a revolving door of wingers, so he never gets to settle in with any permanent line-mates.

But more concerning to me is his play with the puck in his own zone. It's been a consistent thing I've noticed this season.

Now, let me explain this further: Unlike some of you, I have no issue at all with Drai making low-percentage passes in the offensive zone, trying to score. Once in a while he tosses out a grade-A danger pass that gets picked off and goes the other way for a scoring chance. But that's fine with me. Paul Coffey did that. Gretzky did that. As far as I'm concerned, elite offensive players (guess which two on the Oilers this applies to?) get free reign to be as creative as they want on offense. If it backfires once in a while, then fine.

But it's in the defensive zone where I'm concerned about Drai's mental game. There have just been too many games---the Vancouver game was yet another---where Drai has the puck in full control in the D-zone, takes his sweet time looking for the perfect pass recipient... and then loses control, gets pressured off the puck, or gives it away. He seems to do this about twice per game, usually leading to high-danger chances against. This is one point that McDavid has clearly over Drai---McDavid is very, very smart with the puck on his stick in the D-zone. He basically never tosses one up the middle, gets picked off, or (like Drai) waits too long to make a play.

So, yes, I'm being picky about our club's future Hall of Famer and second-best player, but I just don't understand why Drai can't manage the puck more safely in the defensive zone. Sometimes there seems to be a strange 'casualness' about him in all situations where he desperately tries to appear cool and calm in all situations. But, you know, sometimes you have to look stressed and pressured, because you ARE.

I do agree with a lot of the points.

I dont notice Draisaitl's defensive issues as much when hes on his own line. They do seem to be amplified when he plays with McDavid though. Not sure if they get their Center responsibilities mixed up or just too much offensive brain going on. McDavid is guilty of it too when they are both together, but I do agree, he's better with the puck when he has it.

I do suspect that Draisaitl has some lingering issues from the injury. Even though he is putting up numbers, he doesnt quite look the same. I do wonder if thats part of the reason hes played more wing this year.

As far as his 5 on 5 play goes. I do agree that he hasnt really found much consistency. But to be fair to him, I think the Oilers wingers havent helped him much at all. Kane getting hurt didnt help. It probably prevented him from getting at least one of Hyman or Kane on his line for most of the season. Yamamoto and JP havent done much this year and I dont think they are top 6 forwards regardless. Foegele isnt a top 6 forward. Woodcroft hasnt wanted to play Holloway up the line up too much. Its part of the reason why I think players like JP/Yama/Foegele should be moved out at this point. We could use another top 6 forward to play with Draisaitl with their cap money.

Reactions: Oilhawks

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Stay tuned for their next great hit to be used by Canucklehead fans, "Swoosh, Here I go!"

I agree, stupid and annoying. And I don't think it was ever clever. Canuck fans are just dumb.

I was at the game Saturday and was left wondering how many of them honestly care. Got lots of "Oilers are my second favorite team!" and "McDavid is my favorite player!" and even some cheers when he scored.

For the average fan in Vancouver it is much more a hobby than a passion like it is in markets like Edmonton, Montreal, Toronto, etc.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I was at the game Saturday and was left wondering how many of them honestly care. Got lots of "Oilers are my second favorite team!" and "McDavid is my favorite player!" and even some cheers when he scored.

For the average fan in Vancouver it is much more a hobby than a passion like it is in markets like Edmonton, Montreal, Toronto, etc.

I agree.

Cost of living is so high there too. Probably cuts out some of their true fans from going to the game. Instead get some of the fans that go so they can post on their instagram.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I agree.

Cost of living is so high there too. Probably cuts out some of their true fans from going to the game. Instead get some of the fans that go so they can post on their instagram.

I had to laugh when a couple of TikTok dancers were brought out for commercial break entertainment. Fit like a glove there.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I do agree with a lot of the points.

I dont notice Draisaitl's defensive issues as much when hes on his own line. They do seem to be amplified when he plays with McDavid though. Not sure if they get their Center responsibilities mixed up or just too much offensive brain going on. McDavid is guilty of it too when they are both together, but I do agree, he's better with the puck when he has it.

I do suspect that Draisaitl has some lingering issues from the injury. Even though he is putting up numbers, he doesnt quite look the same. I do wonder if thats part of the reason hes played more wing this year.

As far as his 5 on 5 play goes. I do agree that he hasnt really found much consistency. But to be fair to him, I think the Oilers wingers havent helped him much at all. Kane getting hurt didnt help. It probably prevented him from getting at least one of Hyman or Kane on his line for most of the season. Yamamoto and JP havent done much this year and I dont think they are top 6 forwards regardless. Foegele isnt a top 6 forward. Woodcroft hasnt wanted to play Holloway up the line up too much. Its part of the reason why I think players like JP/Yama/Foegele should be moved out at this point. We could use another top 6 forward to play with Draisaitl with their cap money.
I agree that Drai has not been great.

But. Not as an excuse but McDavid just seems lost in his own zone. Too often I am gripping the arm of chair yelling at the TV for McDavid to take someone, anyone, in the d zone.

Nurse has sooo many brain cramps.

Our 3 best and best paid players all need to be MUCH better. All the talk about depth being an issue and this and that with Hyman and Nuge having career years + Klim plus McLeod, plus Campbell, plus hopefully Kane getting back on track plus...

When you have so much money tied up in 3 guys, those 3 guys, HAVE to be better than they have been as silly as it is to say that about them with the points they are putting up.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

But. Not as an excuse but McDavid just seems lost in his own zone. Too often I am gripping the arm of chair yelling at the TV for McDavid to take someone, anyone, in the d zone.

Our 3 best and best paid players all need to be MUCH better. All the talk about depth being an issue and this and that with Hyman and Nuge having career years + Klim plus McLeod, plus Campbell, plus hopefully Kane getting back on track plus...

When you have so much money tied up in 3 guys, those 3 guys, HAVE to be better than they have been as silly as it is to say that about them with the points they are putting up.

I'm at the point with McDavid and Drai to not bother expecting them to improve in their own end. They seem set in playing this way, which is frustrating, but is what it is.

However having said that I think we need to prioritize getting Toews here. The sequence in the 3rd where Leon got blasted on three straight D zone faceoffs only to finally be taken off the ice for McDavid to lose the next one and then partially screen the goalie on the goal against crystalized that for me. We need a rock solid, reliable player in the defensive end to handle these situations for us because at the moment we have nobody that can really be relied on to win these matchups against the best players. If we're going to try and actually win a cup we need someone to do this for us. Might honestly be almost as much as a need as a D man IMO.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
It looks to me like they have. And the call on the ice was good goal which makes it worse. There should be compelling evidence that the contact impacted the outcome which in this case it undeniably did not. When the puck hit Hyman there had been no contact and there is no way Martin would have stopped the puck in any case.

The argument is based around "protecting goalies". I could see the goalie interference call on Ryan falling under that motive even though it was a bit cheesy. But the contact Hyman made with Martin was very minimal. So I do wonder if it is score related. Would that goal have been reversed if the Oilers were down 2??? I am definitely not a conspiracy theory type but I firmly believe that game management plays a significant role in how these things play out.
Especially considering that OEL gave Hyman a bump into the crease area as Hyman was coming though. The fact the puck was already past Martin before the contact and OEL made deliberate contact with Hyman to push him in the direction of the goalie, to me should be enough to not overturn.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Totally agree. Bandwagon jumpers of the finest tradition.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Not worried yet, no.

He had the typical big first game back from long injury (adrenaline rush, energy pent-up), and then after that there is usually a period of a couple of weeks or more of trying to get back into game-shape and get one's timing back. You think you have it, but you don't.

It'll probably come. Maybe mid-February we can start to evaluate.
Agreed

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton

To be fair it kind of reminded me of the decade of darkness in Edmonton. At some point you just want to see an exciting game, when you know your team is going to get run out of the building most nights.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
To be fair it kind of reminded me of the decade of darkness in Edmonton. At some point you just want to see an exciting game, when you know your team is going to get run out of the building most nights.

This was different. There wouldn't have been a single soul in Edmonton that would have cited the Nucks as their second favorite team or the Sedins their favorite players, let alone a bunch of fans.

Dislike of another team (in this case, we are supposed to hate them and they are supposed to hate us) is fueled by passion. I just don't feel like the average fan in Vancouver is really all that passionate. They pretend to be when the team is good, then start cheering for the Oilers when they aren't (lol).

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

You’re always shuffling lines to a certain extent when you go 11/7 though

They’re just absolutely clueless. They go for a little stretch where it seems like they might be getting some consistency, and then they go back to a crap show. The league needs to overhaul the review process and the entire department of player safety.

Lower bowl or upper bowl? When I lived there, usually the lower bowl was filled with a ton of corporate tickets that they give out, which means a lot of casual fans and people that leave early

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019

I’m reminded of Trotz’s take on dealing with stars about defence….”when we have the puck, do what you want…create..and go to work”.
“When we don’t have the puck, you do what I’m telling you to do”.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad