Post-Game Talk: Farewell Bruce

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I've about had enough of that f***ing annoying chant. It was clever the first time.
Stay tuned for their next great hit to be used by Canucklehead fans, "Swoosh, Here I go!"

I agree, stupid and annoying. And I don't think it was ever clever. Canuck fans are just dumb.

Last edited:

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
One doesn't have to resign. Its just work to rule and dropping duties. Bruce for instance could say he's not doing any more post game pressers. But it seems as if he hasn't been entirely averse to the attention. tbh I think Bruce himself is not in his best place right now. Which happens. We all have moments that aren't our best. I say that in this instance because the man is entirely off script now. Orgs tend to be put off by that kind of thing in public speaking.

Agree that bruce shouldn't quit or sign anything. Thats just limiting your benefits and options. But just find a way to cut some duties. Even a medical note works for that.

The bottom line is Boudreau had a real shitty result this year coaching a team that by any view did not achieve and disappointed.
Professionals don't "work to rule" if they have any pride at all. Professionals also don't treat their coaches the way Boudreau was treated if they also want any further longevity in their careers. What sort of established coach (other than Rick "Perennial Loser" Tocchet) would work for someone like that?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Professionals don't "work to rule" if they have any pride at all. Professionals also don't treat their coaches the way Boudreau was treated if they also want any further longevity in their careers. What sort of established coach (other than Rick "Perennial Loser" Tocchet) would work for someone like that?
Thats nice.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Solid rebuttal. Glad to see you have an interesting perspective when someone disagrees with you.
No, I note posters that simply take numbers and will disagree as their rule with certain other posters.

I respect plenty of posters on this board and give ample reply to them. But I'm not going to do that in all instances.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The real question here is why the nucks think Tocchet is the answer. Woof…
Because some people want to see the world burn.

My take is that the management is fed up with the whole club. Its their own fault, they hired these punter players. But not unlike when the Oilers hired Eakins because really management couldn't stand their own players and lol as they hired mr Eakins to run a boot camp on them and Ference to be captain of the circus.

I mean I'm glad when its happening to another club. Its better watching this kind of stuff from a distance. ;) It isn't pretty when an org is rife with lack of direction and everybody pointing fingers. Chaos takes hold.

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
Because some people want to see the world burn.

My take is that the management is fed up with the whole club. Its their own fault, they hired these punter players. But not unlike when the Oilers hired Eakins because really management couldn't stand their own players and lol as they hired mr Eakins to run a boot camp on them and Ference to be captain of the circus.

I mean I'm glad when its happening to another club. Its better watching this kind of stuff from a distance. ;) It isn't pretty when an org is rife with lack of direction and everybody pointing fingers. Chaos takes hold.
This feels like a “it will get worse before it gets better” situation.

BertMcDrai

Middle old guy loving sports
Nov 26, 2018
Thread is now on the mains...I couldn't stop it 
It felt so wrong to not post it.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This feels like a “it will get worse before it gets better” situation.
Wouldn't surprise me. But Bruce was also involved in this in making it about him. He was being part of the distraction. Really now going back and looking at some videos Bruce has been struggling. But it gets a bit old. In retrospect Nucks probably should have got him out of there as it did become a carnival side show and wasn't helping the players focus. It seldom does when dead coach is walking.

That said Tochet is pretty no nonsense and as an ex hard nosed player he'll know how to deal with some of this. I don't get the impression Boudreau was taking anything on. He was just trying to play good cop the whole time. Which isn't even his calling card.

Bottom line is Boudreau age 68 was a not great hire.

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
In tongue and cheek world. It was a flippant response on a Saturday night.
It just looks odd because the one thing that I feel has been consistent in my observation is "Drivesaitl is spending a lot of energy defending the Canucks organization and I have no idea why."

Especially given that people stating this for Boudreau are not doing so out of concern for his well being, but to be critical towards the Canucks organization.

joking aside I can't see anybody making 4.5M being any kind of disaster or depressing thing. My working class roots don't really allow that. Seen much worse is all.

That's the big issue especially in the world of sports. You're actively defending a billion dollar organization for mistreating someone and the justification is largely "The guy they are mistreating makes a lot of money though" and if I read properly, a degree of "I also don't particularly care for the guy they are mistreating."

I suspect we're both working class. I personally don't think it's good when we end up getting defensive on behalf of an ultra rich organization... but I'll wholeheartedly concede that they are very good at getting us to do it. I definitely have done it and frankly only really been a few years when I better understood how often I shilled for ownerships (sports or otherwise) when they maybe didn't deserve such support/loyalty.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It just looks odd because the one thing that I feel has been consistent in my observation is "Drivesaitl is spending a lot of energy defending the Canucks organization and I have no idea why."

Especially given that people stating this for Boudreau are not doing so out of concern for his well being, but to be critical towards the Canucks organization.

That's the big issue especially in the world of sports. You're actively defending a billion dollar organization for mistreating someone and the justification is largely "The guy they are mistreating makes a lot of money though" and if I read properly, a degree of "I also don't particularly care for the guy they are mistreating."

I suspect we're both working class. I personally don't think it's good when we end up getting defensive on behalf of an ultra rich organization... but I'll wholeheartedly concede that they are very good at getting us to do it. I definitely have done it and frankly only really been a few years when I better understood how often I shilled for ownerships (sports or otherwise) when they maybe didn't deserve such support/loyalty.
Humans have varied emotions, reactions. I'm not having the same one about Boudreau that some other people are. Which is fine. The Nucks are a clown show top to bottom. But Boudreau was an awful coach there. On a level of what Pat Quinn was here.

I'm sure not defending the Canucks org OR Boudreau.

just to be clear

i just don't buy Boudreau was badly mistreated. I can see other people seeing it a different way.

But in respect of all the coaches we've had none of them sunk to this woe is me kind of stuff that we're seeing here with Boudreau. The moment these guys were gone they were gone. Maybe Hitch and Quinn struggled with it a bit but I respect people just moving on.

Soon as the Nucks org heard all this soap onions and tears stuff every post game presser they ought to have pulled the plug. Its probably done no good and just stirs players against management that fired the coach. When in reality its players play that gets coaches fired.

on a person level I don't support pro sports or big ticket entertainment or big industry. I'm as much as possible a non consumer. My desire is to be off grid as possible. ;)

Last edited:

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Humans have varied emotions, reactions. I'm not having the same one about Boudreau that some other people are. Which is fine. The Nucks are a clown show top to bottom. But Boudreau was an awful coach there. On a level of what Pat Quinn was here.

I'm sure not defending the Canucks org OR Boudreau.

just to be clear
Fair enough. You don’t have to feel bad. The firing was justifiable.

I don’t think he was as bad in Vancouver as you do though. Team isn’t built right.

Right? That guy is terrible haha.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Fair enough. You don’t have to feel bad. The firing was justifiable.

I don’t think he was as bad in Vancouver as you do though. Team isn’t built right.

Right? That guy is terrible haha.
When boudreau swept in there a lot of posters here were saying that they were even worried about the Nucks. seem to recall you may have been one of them. Just saying this because its off kilter to say now that the team isn't constructed right now but to have been worried about the club last spring.

ftr I thought the Nucks were not great then and now. But Boudreau this year has a far worse than expected record.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Rutherford just being Rutherford hiring his Penguin alumi. I read Gonchar and another former Penguin player are going to be assistants or have a role elsewhere in the org.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Singh is such a loser. Can't hide his bias.
I think he purposely tries to look unbiased and/or was told to by Sportsnet because he's actually an Oiler fan believe it or not. He was at one of our games recently. I also met him a long time ago and can confirm he's an Oiler fan. Super chill dude. But yeah, not my favourite announcer by any means.

McSpecial DraiBlend

Feb 18, 2010
Kelowna, Canada
I think he purposely tries to look unbiased and/or was told to by Sportsnet because he's actually an Oiler fan believe it or not. He was at one of our games recently. I also met him a long time ago and can confirm he's an Oiler fan. Super chill dude. But yeah, not my favourite announcer by any means.

He has gotten a lot better in his defense though. There are worse out there.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
When boudreau swept in there a lot of posters here were saying that they were even worried about the Nucks. seem to recall you may have been one of them. Just saying this because its off kilter to say now that the team isn't constructed right now but to have been worried about the club last spring.

ftr I thought the Nucks were not great then and now. But Boudreau this year has a far worse than expected record.
Ofcourse the Nucks have been bad. They're vezina level goaltending got injured and they had it replaced with .880 quality goaltending.

They also had the same front loaded schedule the Oilers and Flames had; Now 14 of Canucks remaining 36 games (40%) are against teams 23rd or lower in NHL standings CHI & ANA 3 each ARZ & DET 2 each CBJ, SJS, OTT & PHI.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Put your seatbelt on Klim. We want you safe and sound pal.
Whos. the other guy?

Ofcourse the Nucks have been bad. They're vezina level goaltending got injured and they had it replaced with .880 quality goaltending.

They also had the same front loaded schedule the Oilers and Flames had; Now 14 of Canucks remaining 36 games (40%) are against teams 23rd or lower in NHL standings CHI & ANA 3 each ARZ & DET 2 each CBJ, SJS, OTT & PHI.
Demko numbers were bad too. No goalie could hold up this stink show in Vancouver. Was amazing that Demko was doing it for long as he did. Nucks are AWFUL defensively. They're getting miles better goaltending than say LA gets.

• Love
Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad