Fantasy/Injury Thread 2 (Visiting fans: all fantasy/starter/injury questions here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
The main thing I learned this year is how fluky goaltending is in fantasy hockey. I came in 1st in wins, 7th in GAA, 3rd in sv%, and 2nd in SOs, but my record in those categories ranked 8th, 9th, 10th, and 5th, respectively. I guess when I won, I won big, and when I lost, I lost small.

Every fantasy sport is a crapshoot. My 1st and 2nd round picks sucked eggs for most of the season (Tavares and Voracek) and Patty Kane lasted until Round 3. Go figure.

I wonder what percentage of league winners had Kane this year. That production, and how low he dropped cause of that legal trouble, he must have carried a lot of teams.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I wonder what percentage of league winners had Kane this year. That production, and how low he dropped cause of that legal trouble, he must have carried a lot of teams.

I had a few studs carry me and luckily they all got hot at different times. Kane, Simmonds, Bergeron, Pacioretty. Justin Faulk started the year on absolute fire.

I have learned you need at least one stud goalie and a bunch of dudes who just love to shoot the puck.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
One really needs the goalies to be solid in the playoffs. Holtby and Mrazek who were studs at some points in the regular season stats wise pretty much killed me.

I think I auto-renewed the league for next year. Can take the pulse of everyone in August or so and any potential changes. The one IR slot was kinda annoying.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
One really needs the goalies to be solid in the playoffs. Holtby and Mrazek who were studs at some points in the regular season stats wise pretty much killed me.

I think I auto-renewed the league for next year. Can take the pulse of everyone in August or so and any potential changes. The one IR slot was kinda annoying.
Kinda????!!?

:laugh:

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
Had McDavid early and then he got hurt long term..someone grabbed him and held onto him for months in their IR slot, heh.

He kept me in it down the stretch :laugh: ...but then karma hit and Malkin went down. You got your revenge for that in the playoffs.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
He kept me in it down the stretch :laugh: ...but then karma hit and Malkin went down. You got your revenge for that in the playoffs.

On a long term injury sometimes I'll try and pick them back up when they get closer to a return. But one should say that probably worked out he definitely churned out some points.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
On a long term injury sometimes I'll try and pick them back up when they get closer to a return. But one should say that probably worked out he definitely churned out some points.

That's what I did with Elliot.

The worst is when someone is Out long term but doesn't go on IR so you either eat a roster spot and lose out on the production or waive them and someone gets a good player for free.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Given that he's starting tonight, I would assume Grubauer would play tomorrow. Does anyone here actually see the Capitals playing Holtby back-to-back in order to get the record?

Really hard to say. Trotz did say he wanted to split the weekend with grubauer

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Given that he's starting tonight, I would assume Grubauer would play tomorrow. Does anyone here actually see the Capitals playing Holtby back-to-back in order to get the record?

Use the link provided in the first post of this thread.

Deaner

Oct 9, 2011
My questions are about Jakub Vrana. I'm considering him in the 3 round rookie draft in my 8 team keeper league. We have a rookie bank with 6 slots, separate from our main roster and bench - players are automatically promoted if they played 15 games the year before. I'd pick him hoping he'll be a contributor next season.

And so, Caps fans - what are your expectations for him this season, and beyond? Will he get a cup of coffee this year, or even an extended look in case of injury? Did he fully recover from his wrist injury, as in has it affected his shot arsenal at all? Is he still your most promising top-6 prospect, or is he in danger of getting leapfrogged? Am I wrong to assume that he's the guy to take Williams' spot in 17/18? Will he be better than Bura?

Sorry for the long-winded post, but I really like to be as thorough as possible. Thanks kindly to those of you who've read this far and feel compelled to share your thoughts.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Vrana is definitely the best top 6 prospect in the Capitals' system, but that's mostly because the Capitals farm system is pretty barren when it comes to scoring talent. Riley Barber and maaaaaaaybe Zach Sanford are the only other two Capitals prospects that may have top six potential, and with both of them are more likely to be complimentary players or career AHLers. So no real threat of leapfrogging, at least in terms of long term upside.

Vrana is supposed to be fully healthy, and looked good last season in Hershey (including for much of the playoff run). That being said, he hasn't looked all that impressive in the pre-season, or even that outstanding in the rookie tournament. That's a small sample size and he's still young, but it does make it less likely he makes the team out of camp. There's still potential for a cup of coffee later in the season, depending on how he's doing in Hershey, but there's a lot of other forwards he's going to be competing with to be the first promotion. Thus it's likely that most of his season is spent in Hershey this year.

17/18 is still very much up in the air. Hard to say what the roster will look like, given how many free agents the Capitals will have prior to the season. It's likely at least one top nine forward will leave, if not more, thus there should be room for young/cheap players like Vrana to compete for a spot.

I do not anticipate him being better than Burakovsky, but I'm also fairly high on Burakovsky.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Is MoJo supposed to be on third line this season? Asking for fantasy hockey reasons... don't know if I should drop him for Carl Hagelin.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Is MoJo supposed to be on third line this season? Asking for fantasy hockey reasons... don't know if I should drop him for Carl Hagelin.

With the current lines, yes, he's on the 3rd. But he spent time on the 3rd last year, and lines are almost somewhat fluid.

The important portion for fantasy is that he's retaining his spot on the top powerplay unit.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I missed our HF draft while on a cross-country flight that had no WiFi. Of course I autodrafted Crosby and now he's out indefinitely.

Somehow my team is still stacked. Was everyone drunk when we did the draft?

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
I missed our HF draft while on a cross-country flight that had no WiFi. Of course I autodrafted Crosby and now he's out indefinitely.

Somehow my team is still stacked. Was everyone drunk when we did the draft?

Might have something to do with this being an 8 team league now instead of a 10 team league. Everybody's teams are stacked compared to last year. There's a ton of players who are owned in more than half of yahoo's league that are available right now.

And FWIW, only three of us were there for the draft. Autodraft made a huge early run on defensemen since we're starting 5 now, so that was kind of interesting.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Might have something to do with this being an 8 team league now instead of a 10 team league. Everybody's teams are stacked compared to last year. There's a ton of players who are owned in more than half of yahoo's league that are available right now.

And FWIW, only three of us were there for the draft. Autodraft made a huge early run on defensemen since we're starting 5 now, so that was kind of interesting.

Ah, makes sense. Thanks. Yeah, when I saw Crosby, Kopitar, Forsberg, Thornton, Burns, Karlsson, and some of the other names I was pretty surprised.

I missed a 16 person draft last year and my goalies were Keith Kincaid, Mike Smith, and Mike Condon. :cry:

spizzle420

May 22, 2008
T.O.
(post moved. Re: Kuz)

I have no doubt this guy is an exceptional talent but I need to ask for fantasy hockey purposes.

This guy is one of my 4 keepers in fantasy and he's easily the worst player on my team currently. He's on pace for 33 pts after 77 pts last year?

Is it just him or is the team kind of slumping offensively? Is he slumping more than others?

Haven't watched too many caps games but I'm guessing they've maybe implemented a new system compared to last year?

What's the deal? If he isn't hitting the board he's completely useless in my league.

Yahoo had him projected at 17th overall and he's currently 437th...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad