Fantasy Hockey pool guides 2018-2019

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
It's almost that time of year again.

Dobber is out on August 1st
The Hockey News should be out first or second week of August
The Sports Forecaster is late August if I remember correct

then there's a few others people like.

Which ones are you planning on picking up this year?

Last edited:
Reactions: Graves

MourningWidows1

Sep 28, 2017
I usually go with Dobber's and Prime Pucks.

I like Dobber primarily for his information on prospects, which is pretty good. Though he provides detailed analysis on the pros, I find it information overload, and not conducive to bring a copy to the draft.

Prime Pucks, think this is year 7 or 8, provides concise information. Find it helpful to print out and to carry it with me at the draft. It has just the right amount of information, and usually lists players that would be drafted in most drafts. The sleeper picks are usually pretty decent, and like the concept of having tiers during the draft. Avoids missing out on a player.

Reactions: razor2112

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
I use Dobber. Love it. Came in as an expansion team at the start of last year, and ended up tied for 2nd out of 10 teams in my main pool.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
I've only recently gotten back into fantasy hockey. I've had a keeper league team for 3 seasons now and won the championship last year. I've been going along on my own with only minimal online research prior to the draft. I would say that HFBoards and Yahoo's Player information/updates to be the most helpful in building a competitive team.

Back when I was really into fantasy sports, I absolutely loved The Sports Forecaster but they stopped selling it in my area. Looking it up online just now made me want it again. They do such a great job.

Hockey Kev

Sep 29, 2017
I find up to date info on prime pucks these guys are on the Ball.Last time i used Dobber they were slow
to the answer.

eFFeRR

Major League Hockey
Dec 11, 2013
I do my own projections every year but I also purchase some of the other guides to see their forecasts/predictions.

Last year I went with Left Wing Lock and the Sports Forecaster. I'd have to say that the Sports Forecaster has been very inaccurate with their projections as of late but I continue to buy because its in magazine form. I might switch it up this year and go with the Hockey News.

I purchased LWL last year for the first time and was not impressed. I will look around this year and find another. I may consider Dobbers.

razor2112

Aug 2, 2017
New York
I am working on my 8th edition of the PrimePucks Fantasy Hockey Draft Guide and am excited to say that it is almost complete. I hope to have it finished by the end of next weekend.

I've been involved in fantasy hockey since 1995 when all you had were The Hockey News, Sporting News and maybe one or two others. I had begun doing my own research and grouping players together and making my own predictions for my own drafts. But being a fantasy hockey junkie, I kept searching for other magazines and probably bought every single one out there in order to get the edge over my competition.

I had always hoped that I could find just one magazine, one person who thought along the same lines as me and was happy to have found that in Dobber when he first started about 11 years ago. I actually had some correspondence with him back in the day, remembering fondly about Michael Nylander and how he advised me to pick him up when he was with the NY Rangers. So I bought his Guide and The Forecaster religiously because in my opinion they were the best out there. And I think my Guide is right up there with a ton of information and predictions.

I will gladly send anyone a past copy of the Guide to see for themselves. Just drop me an email and I'll send a version for you to look through. I think you'll like it.

You can go to my website, www.primepucks.com, and see some of the past articles written and get an idea. They have not been updated for the upcoming season just yet.

Anyway, besides my own guide of course, Dobber's, the Forecaster and McKeen's are probably your best bets.

Thanks for reading! And thanks for the shout outs above!

Ciao

Pepsi

Mar 30, 2005
What does the Prime Puck fantasy guide give you...I know they rank players in tiers...do they give point projections?

razor2112

Aug 2, 2017
New York
What does the Prime Puck fantasy guide give you...I know they rank players in tiers...do they give point projections?

Last year's Guide was 62 pages long. Each team has its own page with player vital stats, projections and a comment along with a team synopsis. Besides the 31 team pages, and the Tiers mentioned, there are several articles focusing on Breakouts & Sleepers, Rebound Players, Buyer Beware etc giving brief analysis on what we think the player is capable of in the coming year.

Send me an email and I will send a previous Guide so you can have a look.

Regards

Ray

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnLennon

razor2112

Aug 2, 2017
New York
People shilling this Prime Pucks site... why is it that when I go to the main website off of a Google search, it smacks me in the face with popups and malware redirection?

Sorry if you are having issues getting onto the website but I haven't heard of any before your comment. Let me know if you are still having issues. I'll let my tech people know. Thank you.

Ray

razor2112

Aug 2, 2017
New York
2015_LA_Kings_Sample_Page_Guide__1501461170_61699.jpg
Here is the Oilers team page from 2015-16 season
View attachment 133079

Top portion is team synopsis, then fantasy relevant forwards, then defense, then goalies and some prospects.

Well, that didn't work too well.

Email me if you want to see a past Guide

Last edited:

eFFeRR

Major League Hockey
Dec 11, 2013
Even more proof that the Sports Forecaster has gone downhill.. it's too bad it's one of the few magazine's available. I still buy it every year, but don't typically take their projections seriously. The Hockey News has faired better as of late so I may make the switch this year.

I purchased Dobbers for the first time this season and it looks pretty good.

Is McKeens available in magazine form as well?

Speedy Creek

Jul 9, 2007
The last few years I have purchased Dobber & McKeens. I like their guide, articles and point prediction lists

But unfortunately neither is available in magazine - only available thru online download

razor2112

Aug 2, 2017
New York
People shilling this Prime Pucks site... why is it that when I go to the main website off of a Google search, it smacks me in the face with popups and malware redirection?
SO I spoke with my tech group and they say the reason you are getting those popups is because Google now requires a website to register for certification with them. I was unaware of this but that will be resolved by my IT group. Also there was upgraded version of the web hosting site and that will be upgraded shortly as well. My IT group assured me that you are in not vulnerable to a threat when going onto the PrimePucks webiste.
However, if you log onto www.primepucks.com, there shouldn't be any issues. Please let me know if you are having any other issues and thank you for the alert.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I've bought The Hockey News Pool guide for like 15 years now, I used to really like it, but the lat few years I didn't feel as excited about it. I've starting getting the forecaster again the past couple years, it's usually a fun read, but their projections are a little off (they predict too many points for most players.)

Overall, I'd say they don't really help with pools, because I follow the sport so closely, that I don't need magazines, but they are simply fun to read.

The Hockey News Yearbook though is probably my favorite magazine of the year, along with Hockey News Future Watch.

NewtJorden

Unitas est Invicta
Aug 9, 2006
Rimouski
Bough two french magazine this morning, Hockey the Magazine and Pool Pro. Surprised to see The Hockey News is not out yet as its usually the first one out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad