Fantasy Hockey pool guides 2018-2019

McHandsomeDoc

Jul 28, 2006
Edmonton
Just got my copy of The Sports Forecaster in the mail from Amazon this morning, however a little cautionary tale for those of you thinking of doing the same - I was going on a road trip this weekend, so I decided for the first time to order The Forecaster from Amazon. At $9.99 plus $5 for shipping that's not too bad, but I didn't know if that would get it here in time for my road trip so as an experiment I decided to shill out for expedited shipping (Canada Post, I'm in Edmonton they ship from Toronto). Expedited shipping is $15 instead of $5, a not insignificant amount. I ordered it on Tuesday, got a confirmation email from Amazon that it had shipped on Wednesday, and it did not show up until today. If I'm spending $15 to "expedite" something, I expect it at most two days later, not the following week. Yeah maybe I'm grumbling a little because I didn't have it to read for six hours in the car, but that's a pretty pricey freight charge for a mag if it doesn't come sooner than that. I highly recommend that you do not bother with the expedited shipping if you are going to order it from Amazon.

Other than that, I haven't seen any other mags here - I'm a bit of a pool fiend so I usually buy them all, but oddly enough I haven't even seen The Hockey News Pool Guide yet and they usually rush that one out by now.

I've also bought McKeens for a couple of years now, as I appreciate pool guides that give write-ups for individual players, and I have access to a printer where I can print out the mag. I really wish they would print that for newstands though.

Zorro

Aug 5, 2011
Complain to amazon! It's happened to us before and they always refund you the extra cost if it doesn't arrive by the guaranteed date.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I'm shocked THN Pool guide still isn't on shelves. I won't be buying it this year. Usually it comes out a couple weeks before forecaster, and I get both, but this year I'm not buying THN.

NewtJorden

Unitas est Invicta
Aug 9, 2006
Rimouski
I'm shocked THN Pool guide still isn't on shelves. I won't be buying it this year. Usually it comes out a couple weeks before forecaster, and I get both, but this year I'm not buying THN.
The THN website say its out already but it definitely isnt.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I don't really care about fantasy sports so I don't care about prediction accuracy but which guide would be best to get as a season preview/scrapbook? Is it still Forecaster cos I liked the little write-ups they did on each player.

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
I don't really care about fantasy sports so I don't care about prediction accuracy but which guide would be best to get as a season preview/scrapbook? Is it still Forecaster cos I liked the little write-ups they did on each player.

Forecaster is probably the most detailed one you can pick up on the shelves.

I hope THN is making its way around the GTA. The only Indigo near me closed down so I'm going to have to hunt around Oakville/Burlington area Shoppers' and grocery stores.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Forecaster is probably the most detailed one you can pick up on the shelves.

I hope THN is making its way around the GTA. The only Indigo near me closed down so I'm going to have to hunt around Oakville/Burlington area Shoppers' and grocery stores.
I bought it at a Rexall downtown yesterday.

Reactions: Leviathan

Zibanejbread

Rebuilding.
Jan 19, 2013
PA
Not sure if any of you use daily faceoff, but I would highly recommend using that as a good source once we get closer to the start of the season. Tons of active users that can most of the time offer good insights.

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
THN is on the shelves in Calgary. I picked mine up at Shoppers Drug Mart in the Core.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I thought THN Yearbook was available for download....is that still the case because I don't see it on their website

McHandsomeDoc

Jul 28, 2006
Edmonton
Complain to amazon! It's happened to us before and they always refund you the extra cost if it doesn't arrive by the guaranteed date.

Well, full disclosure, the magazine still arrived within the "expedited" date range, so it's not as though I can really go to Amazon. I'm more complaining that a premium shipping charge for "expedited" delivery still ended up being nearly a week after I ordered it...

Also just picked up Hockey The Magazine's Poolers' Guide here in Edmonton this morning, and had grabbed The Hockey News late last week here as well. And The Forecaster was on the shelves also. That's pretty much what I usually see around here for print mags, now just have to wait for McKeen's online mag, and shortly before the season starts hopefully the guy running the Ultimate Pool Preview is still doing it - that thing is super helpful!

McHandsomeDoc

Jul 28, 2006
Edmonton
me too that was my fav mag! wonder why they stoped printing it!

If I had to guess, it involves the price of printing and distribution. Clearly they are still building the online version as a "ready to print" magazine, and in fact I just print it out myself as I have always enjoyed a hard copy, but it may just be too expensive for them to publish it for newstands.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Its been on shelves for over a week now. Indigo has all 3 pool guides out there also have the 18-19 yearbook out too.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Well, full disclosure, the magazine still arrived within the "expedited" date range, so it's not as though I can really go to Amazon. I'm more complaining that a premium shipping charge for "expedited" delivery still ended up being nearly a week after I ordered it...

Also just picked up Hockey The Magazine's Poolers' Guide here in Edmonton this morning, and had grabbed The Hockey News late last week here as well. And The Forecaster was on the shelves also. That's pretty much what I usually see around here for print mags, now just have to wait for McKeen's online mag, and shortly before the season starts hopefully the guy running the Ultimate Pool Preview is still doing it - that thing is super helpful!
I've been buying my forecaster through amazon for the past few years and price to ship it is a joke and its not an item that can be combined with another purchase to get over the free shipping hump of 35 bucks . I need some paint today so I'll probably see if wally world has it in stock (they used to anyways). Kill two birds with one stone as my dad would say

Boomer Rovner

Aug 29, 2018
It's almost that time of year again.

Dobber is out on August 1st
The Hockey News should be out first or second week of August
The Sports Forecaster is late August if I remember correct

then there's a few others people like.

Which ones are you planning on picking up this year?
I used to use Hockey News, but have used Prime Pucks for the past two seasons and have had much better success

Reactions: razor2112

MikeC62

Aug 31, 2018
I use Dobber, THN, LWL, Prime Pucks, Hockey the Magazine, Forecaster and McKeens, enter them all into a spreadsheet that averages them out and then do my own adjustments. Im pretty sure that's what UPP does, not sure how they get away with copyright violations, but I do believe in paying for the info I use.

Lint07

Nov 21, 2004
Montreal
www.HockeyTradeRumors.com
I use Dobber, THN, LWL, Prime Pucks, Hockey the Magazine, Forecaster and McKeens, enter them all into a spreadsheet that averages them out and then do my own adjustments. Im pretty sure that's what UPP does, not sure how they get away with copyright violations, but I do believe in paying for the info I use.

We actually take all the projections outthere and reveal the highest and lowest projection for each single player, which is a great tool for any pooler.

We also use every projections in our formula (but there's more to it than that) for our own final projection. However we do not disclose details of the magazines. We view our tool as a complement to give you the ultimate edge when it comes to winning a championship. We have a 100% customer satisfaction rate.

The Ultimate Pool Preview is out on September 10.
You can get it here:

www.UltimatePoolPreview.com

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I got two guides and both were helpful. Prime Pucks and Forecaster.

Will definitely get Prime Pucks again. It helped me with my prep big time. Almost done with my draft, and this is the most prepared I have felt. If you don't have the time to do all the projections yourself, or are just winging it, I would definitely recommend Prime Pucks. Ray, who has posted in this thread was also personally receptive to any question I had. He answered every email, and offered to help me via phone conversation, which I took him up on. A great guy personally. You can tell he knows his stuff and just loves fantasy hockey. Can't say enough good things about Ray, and Prime Pucks. Get it, you won't be sorry.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Forecaster with some awful predictions in this year's edition: Johnsson, Greenway, Orlov.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Here are the top guides from last season:

300_zpsk9omp9zt.png

Did you create this chart, and if so can you explain the point system? If average error is the difference between their prediction and the actual, why would the hockey news be ranked so low if they had the best result?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->