Fantasy GM Thread | Part XII: Free Agency Looms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Would Pit gives us their next two 1sts for Miller?

Seems like he would compliment their team for one last shot at it.
Spoiler. No team is giving up their next 2 1sts for Miller. GM’s value 1sts far yo much to trade away 2 for a short term asset. Other than Karlsson can you even name a player that fetched 2 1st round picks in a trade.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
The second 1st in the trade was conditional on him re-signing in Columbus (which he didn’t do so Ottawa didn’t get the pick). The new CBA removed the option of having picks conditional on a player re-signing. Do it’s not quite apples to apples.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Spoiler. No team is giving up their next 2 1sts for Miller. GM’s value 1sts far yo much to trade away 2 for a short term asset. Other than Karlsson can you even name a player that fetched 2 1st round picks in a trade.
Tkachuk was traded for a 1st, high 2nd, 3rd and conditional 1st. Pronger returned two 1sts and various other assets on two separate occasions. Kessel returned two 1sts and a 2nd.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Tkachuk was traded for a 1st, high 2nd, 3rd and conditional 1st. Pronger returned two 1sts and various other assets on two separate occasions. Kessel returned two 1sts and a 2nd.
How about keeping it in the cap era. Regardless. It’s not a common occurrence and Miller isn’t exactly an elite player

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
To be clear. I think Miller is a very good player and I think that if he’s traded he’ll get a very good return. But I don’t believe for a second that he’ll get 2 1sts

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
How about keeping it in the cap era.
What does this have to do with anything?
Regardless. It’s not a common occurrence and Miller isn’t exactly an elite player
It's not common because of the parameters you've set -- it's rare for a single player to be traded for that specific, particular combination of assets. It's like saying it's rare to see a single player traded for a C and a LHD. The fact that this specific trade is uncommon isn't really a statement about whether it necessarily does or does not represent good value. There have been countless trades of single players where the return was a 1st and other assets equivalent to or more valuable than an additional 1st.

Reactions: elitepete

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
What does this have to do with anything?
It's not common because of the parameters you've set -- it's rare for a single player to be traded for that specific, particular combination of assets. It's like saying it's rare to see a single player traded for a C and a LHD. The fact that this specific trade is uncommon isn't really a statement about whether it necessarily does or does not represent good value. There have been countless trades of single players where the return was a 1st and other assets equivalent to or more valuable than an additional 1st.
I didn’t set the parameters. I was responding to a post that said Miller would easily get a teams next 2 1st round picks. I disagreed. I agree thst other assets can be involved but I stand by my statement that no team is going to give up their next two 1sts for Miller

Reactions: CanuckleBerry

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
What about pre 1960s NHL and WHL trades???
Unless you're arguing that the value of 1st round picks has fundamentally changed, I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Also, as I pointed out, single players are traded all the time for packages equivalent to two 1sts. The fact that this specific combination of assets is rarely traded is no more noteworthy than the fact that literally any other specific combination of assets is also rarely traded -- there are too many possible combinations for any specific one to be common.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Jones was traded along with a 1st round pick. They essentially swapped 1sts. So again. The player didn’t fetch two 1sts.
Wrong again. going from the 32nd to 12th pick isn't just "swapping firsts" in terms of the value of that. If an NHL team were looking to move up, it would take a pick higher than the 32nd to move up to 12. Something like 20th+32nd for 12th.

And Chicago also got Boqvist, a recent high 1st round pick, who was seen as one of the best d prospects in the NHL, and a 2nd as well.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Except the guy who said no one had been traded for two 1sts, and it turned out several players had been traded for two 1sts.
First off. I didn’t say no player had been traded for two 1st. I asked if he could name one. Second. It’s a very rare occurrence where a team actually gives up 2 1sts. Even more rare in a cap world where it’s incredibly important for a team to have players in ELC who can step in and contribute. But feel free to ignore those facts

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
First off. I didn’t say no player had been traded for two 1st. I asked if he could name one. Second. It’s a very rare occurrence where a team actually gives up 2 1sts. Even more rare in a cap world where it’s incredibly important for a team to have players in ELC who can step in and contribute. But feel free to ignore those facts
Lol first you say to name players that were traded for 2 firsts. We name them, then you start moving the goalposts.

If the ELC thing was the reason teams didn't move multiple firsts, then teams wouldn't trade their prospects that often either. But playoff teams trade prospects a long with 1sts all the time. Feel free to ignore this fact though.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Unless they're trading for a top end PK'er, or trying to rid themselves of a locker room cancer..I dont think a trade is going to have much of an impact.(just for the sake of shaking things up)
A firing possibly could.....but will that magically make Elias Pettersson a different player from what we've seen the last two seasons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad