Fantasy GM Thread | Part XII: Free Agency Looms

Status
Not open for further replies.

canucksfan100

Apr 3, 2007
Myers contract is pretty close to buyout proof and I doubt they have interest in buying him out. They view him as a minute munching top 4 RHD and looking at the RHD this offseason, RHD are hard to find

Reactions: David71

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Myers contract is pretty close to buyout proof and I doubt they have interest in buying him out. They view him as a minute munching top 4 RHD and looking at the RHD this offseason, RHD are hard to find

I don't know if management and coaching think Myers is as untouchable as you might think.

They rarely played him in match-up roles last year when they didn't have to. And he is presently pencilled in to be on the third pairing as his game is pretty incompatible with either Hughes or OEL. No matter how much they might value the other intangibles he might bring—this management group has shown this off-season a strong desire to remove any proven inefficient contracts off their books. Myers $6m as a third-pairing defenseman definitely fits that bill as an inefficient contract.

I also wonder given the sheer quantity of depth RD defensemen that the team brought in this off-season if they might be considering a move. If the Gudbranson Van->PIT trade taught us anything, it's that there will always be a market for big and tall defensemen no matter how they actually play the game.

Last edited:

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
All the talk this off season is how great our forward depth is, how within the top nine you can configure the lines many ways and get the best group we've had in years.

Now we're talking about trading Boeser to clear cap. What a dumb move. Instead of trading a young star, how about we stop spending money on vets who underperform their contracts.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
All the talk this off season is how great our forward depth is, how within the top nine you can configure the lines many ways and get the best group we've had in years.

Now we're talking about trading Boeser to clear cap. What a dumb move. Instead of trading a young star, how about we stop spending money on vets who underperform their contracts.
I wouldn’t trade Boeser to clear cap. But we clearly need another top D. I’m not sure what other assets we have to get one, especially since we already traded our last two first round picks and need some new higher end prospects. I guess if we could move Myers and Pearson next off season we could maybe grab one in free agency but that’s going to be expensive.
Having said that I wouldn’t be trading Boeser as his age is ideal for this core but might look at a JT Miller trade at the TDL.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Except for Horvat being drafted under Gillis, the entire roster is constructed under Bennings regime, what a transformation.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Except for Horvat being drafted under Gillis, the entire roster is constructed under Bennings regime, what a transformation.
I mean he's entering his 8th year as GM, that's probably what you'd expect. This was his team awhile ago since he chose to extend Horvat/Edler/Tanev in the past.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015

No one has suggested trading Boeser for Cap space....... If he is traded its for a top 4 defenseman or a similar cap who probably has top pairing potential IE a Sergachev for Drouin type trade

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

They can't. This is the core of Benning's team-building philosophy.

That's why as soon as he cleared out his previous underperforming vets, he immediately had to add more.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
Looking at the contracts some of dman are getting right now I would 100% bridge Hughes. Hopefully, the market settles a little bit and you get more information on what Hughes looks like long term. I think 3 x 5.5 would make sense. To me, I have thought this all along you have to get Petey signed long term I honestly don't think he wants to do a long-term deal tho.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
I wouldn’t trade Boeser to clear cap. But we clearly need another top D. I’m not sure what other assets we have to get one, especially since we already traded our last two first round picks and need some new higher end prospects. I guess if we could move Myers and Pearson next off season we could maybe grab one in free agency but that’s going to be expensive.
Having said that I wouldn’t be trading Boeser as his age is ideal for this core but might look at a JT Miller trade at the TDL.

If the Canucks are out of the hunt at the deadline (unlikely IMO), Benning will be gone and Miller likely would be the first piece dealt. His contract is very good. I'd be looking to move him for Braden Schneider at that point, who is probably the best fit for the team's needs and probably not that far off from playing. Miller as a center for NYR would be a very good fit.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
If the Canucks are out of the hunt at the deadline (unlikely IMO), Benning will be gone and Miller likely would be the first piece dealt. His contract is very good. I'd be looking to move him for Braden Schneider at that point, who is probably the best fit for the team's needs and probably not that far off from playing. Miller as a center for NYR would be a very good fit.
That would be such a Benning move tbh. It's weird because before we gave the pick up to New Jersey everyone was worried we would draft Schneider because he was a Benning player. I don't like Schnieder that much one of the oldest players in his draft missed the 2019 draft by like 4 or 5 days I believe. The guy is not great on defense relies on him being bigger than everybody, and I would take WHL stats with a grain of salt from last year not that their were spectacular. This is a Benning style defenceman no that smart, not great on defence but he's big and has some puck skills.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
If we are trading Boeser or Miller it needs to be for a young D who’s nhl ready. With that said, I agree move Miller well before Boeser. Have a hard time envisioning him resigning.

Ottobot

Aug 9, 2020
Miller, Horvat and Boeser could all have above average seasons with this deeper forward group. I’m not comfortable giving Miller more than 5 years and if he prices himself solidly at or above 7.5M the choice is obvious.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Zero chance he resigns

I don't think it's too out there. Miller wants to win and unless the Canucks make a massive turnaround he's gonna want to go to a legit contender.

(I'm not privy to what's going on in Miller's head, really nobody is but him, but when you think about how competitive a guy he is, do you think he'll want to basically finish out the best years of his career on a middle of the road team?)

Shit I meant to quote @DonnyNucker

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Are there any legit top 4 or top pairing RHS dmen on the last year of their contract heading into UFA status that might be avail come trade deadline? If we do well, that might be the missing piece we look for.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Are there any legit top 4 or top pairing RHS dmen on the last year of their contract heading into UFA status that might be avail come trade deadline? If we do well, that might be the missing piece we look for.

Parayko and Pulock but they will probably resign

Reactions: NomadicCanadian
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: