Speculation: Fantasy GM and Rumor Roundup Thread | "Trader Jim" gearing up for TDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
I love how much hate players get for refusing to waive a NMC/NTC that they negotiated for in good faith. Every time fans think a player should be moved for whatever reason and they won’t waive e there’s a storm of “screw that guy, bench him, threaten to send him to the minors”. I feel like actual GM’s recognize they’re dealing with real people and maintaining a good reputation with players and agents is an important aspect of their job

He's well within his rights to not waive his NMC.

And we're well within our rights to do what's best for the team and preserve our cap space for next year, and therefore not play him another game.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
He's well within his rights to not waive his NMC.

And we're well within our rights to do what's best for the team and preserve our cap space for next year, and therefore not play him another game.
And in the future other players will be well within their rights to look at how Vancouver management treats its players

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
If Halak is unwilling to waive his no trade clause I'd just call up Martin everytime Demko needs a break and see if Martin is worth keeping around past this season. Halak serves no purpose to this team at this point so why waste cap space if there's no benefit?

Or..."start" Demko but pull him after the first whistle. Demko still gets his rest and Halak doesn't get his bonus.

(Not seriously calling for this)

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
halak is a good goalie and has put in his dues. Should Benning obliged with this NTC, probably not! It’s not like we were one solid backup goalie from the promise land.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I mean. Martin’s numbers in his 3 starts are better than Demko’s too. By your logic I guess he should be the defacto starter now. Dress it up however you like. Benching a veteran player who has played well (with the exception of the last game) just as he’s due to get his bonus is shady.
we know what Halak is like, we need to know if Martin can be a backup goalie fro us moving forward. playing Halak more games when we are out of the playoffs makes no sense. we might win more games and then what?

Halak signed a contract that saids we will pay him a bonus if he starts 10 games, he didn't sign a contract where it saids we have to play him at least 10 starts so he can get his bonus.

Reactions: MarkMM

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I see Rutherford is dousing some of the fire around trade speculation, particularly when it comes to guys like Miller, Garland and even Pearson. And he's absolutely correct to do so.

The contract clock isn't ticking on any of these guys--they're all signed through the end of next season at least. So if there's no deal that dramatically upgrades the core by the time the TDL rolls around, then he might be better off just waiting for the off-season.

I personally think the offers for some of the Canucks players might actually be far better this off-season, as the list of teams looking to improve will be back up to numbers beyond just the playoff bound teams.

So if other teams are determined to add guys like Miller and Garland before the deadline, they're going to need to step up big-time.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Pls god stop talking about Halak.

Who cares about 1.5m, we're not competing next year and should have excess cap space.

Talk of Benching for half a year is beyond ridiculous. It would never happen in the real world.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
we know what Halak is like, we need to know if Martin can be a backup goalie fro us moving forward. playing Halak more games when we are out of the playoffs makes no sense. we might win more games and then what?

Halak signed a contract that saids we will pay him a bonus if he starts 10 games, he didn't sign a contract where it saids we have to play him at least 10 starts so he can get his bonus.
And I’m sure it’s just a coincidence they this vital need to evaluate Martin comes immediately after Halak made his 9th start

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021

Who cares about 1.5m, we're not competing next year and should have excess cap space.

Talk of Benching for half a year is beyond ridiculous. It would never happen in the real world.
This. If you think this team is shit why does it even matter if we take the bonus. We arent/shouldnt be competing much next year anyway. Who knows he might even be easier and more valuable a trade chip if we do take on these bonuses.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
And I’m sure it’s just a coincidence they this vital need to evaluate Martin comes immediately after Halak made his 9th start
i don't mind us giving Halak one more start if we end up moving a bunch of guys at the TDL. I think even in that scenario we should let Martin play to see if he can be a backup for us next season.

I think people exaggerate the effects of freezing Halak out. I think doing it will let people know that management recognizes how messed up the situation is with the team and the steps they are willing to take to fix it.

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
And in the future other players will be well within their rights to look at how Vancouver management treats its players

This stuff happens all the time. LA and Philly in particular have been shocking in dealing with players, and guys still line up to sign there.

When Benning took over, guys like Bieksa and Garrison who had negotiated contracts in good faith were heavily pressured into waiving when they didn't want to leave. It happens.

It's a business, not a charity. Halak should have known the risks when he decided to sign a contract like this.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I mean. Martin’s numbers in his 3 starts are better than Demko’s too. By your logic I guess he should be the defacto starter now. Dress it up however you like. Benching a veteran player who has played well (with the exception of the last game) just as he’s due to get his bonus is shady.

no. It’s not. It’s completely logical. There’s a reason you are the only one obsessing about this.

the only reason to play Halak is to get him his bonus. If he didn’t have a bonus Martin would play ahead of him, no question. There’s nothing “shady” about it. They are called BONUSES.

this has been clearly explained to you so many times that it’s actually getting sad that you can’t grasp it.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
no. It’s not. It’s completely logical. There’s a reason you are the only one obsessing about this.

the only reason to play Halak is to get him his bonus. If he didn’t have a bonus Martin would play ahead of him, no question. There’s nothing “shady” about it. They are called BONUSES.

this has been clearly explained to you so many times that it’s actually getting sad that you can’t grasp it.
Not “getting it” and completely disagreeing with you are two different things. I think it’s shady and feel like other players and agents would agree. You think it’s fine. You won’t convince me that it it’s not shady AF

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Not “getting it” and completely disagreeing with you are two different things. I think it’s shady and feel like other players and agents would agree. You think it’s fine. You won’t convince me that it it’s not shady AF

You're the only person who thinks players are entitled to their performance bonuses regardless of their performance and regardless of the performance of others, and admittting that you "won't be convinced" otherwise is a you problem.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

I don’t care about the bonus, I care about giving the younger goalie who’s played much better a chance to show if he’s capable of being this team’s backup next season. Halak really offers this team nothing going forward.

Joe Rogan

Jun 21, 2019

If Philly can still attract players after the way they royally screwed over Jeff Carter, it means your argument (and 10 other posters) is completely out to lunch

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
You're the only person who thinks players are entitled to their performance bonuses regardless of their performance and regardless of the performance of others, and admittting that you "won't be convinced" otherwise is a you problem.
I’d agree. Except Halak has played well this year. The last game skewed his otherwise solid numbers. Acting like he’s been a disaster is revisionist history and is a you problem

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I’d agree. Except Halak has played well this year. The last game skewed his otherwise solid numbers. Acting like he’s been a disaster is revisionist history and is a you problem

Has he played better than the younger goalie that actually may have a future with this team? No? So why does he deserve to play another game?

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I don’t care about the bonus, I care about giving the younger goalie who’s played much better a chance to show if he’s capable of being this team’s backup next season. Halak really offers this team nothing going forward.

Has he played better than the younger goalie that actually may have a future with this team? No? So why does he deserve to play another game?
It just doesn't f***ing matter.

Are you arguing that in the real world on a real team Halak " doesnt deserve to play another game"?!?!

Thats just a ridiculous notion. This is a real team with a real coach, who's not going to give a shit about a ln insignificant bonus on a bad team.

Nobody cared about spencer martin until two months ago, why is this half season now so vital he plays maximum NHL games?!
And just dump halak in the trash bc of luke 3 game sample size on a backup goalie who might play 8 more games this year.

Like stop the madness.
Halak is here and going to play for BRUCE BOUDREAU.
Spencer is not going to bust because of this half year remaining.
A small and irrelevant bonus on a team thats not good and not up against the cap literally DOESN'T MATTER.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
It just doesn't f***ing matter.

Are you arguing that in the real world on a real team Halak " doesnt deserve to play another game"?!?!

Thats just a ridiculous notion. This is a real team with a real coach, who's not going to give a shit about a ln insignificant bonus on a bad team.

Nobody cared about spencer martin until two months ago, why is this half season now so vital he plays maximum NHL games?!
And just dump halak in the trash bc of luke 3 game sample size on a backup goalie who might play 8 more games this year.

Like stop the madness.
Halak is here and going to play for BRUCE BOUDREAU.
Spencer is not going to bust because of this half year remaining.
A small and irrelevant bonus on a team thats not good and not up against the cap literally DOESN'T MATTER.

You sure are passionate about a very minor debate.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The talk about badly behaved teams still attracting players is true. Money matters, and many players will do follow the biggest payday. The problem is they will look at a team like the Canucks as a team that needs to pay up front and locked in so the players don't get Halak'd. Long term that isn't a good outcome, players that really should be on performance bonuses won't be.

It's just not worth it to save $1.5m in a tank year.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Here are my thoughts on the Brock vs JT Situation.
Right now I have a weird feeling (Nobody actually told me) That JT Miller has expressed interest in staying in Vancouver.
This could have changed the dynamic drastically in trade talks, and could be a major precursor in a Brock Boeser trade, instead.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Right now I have a weird feeling (Nobody actually told me) That JT Miller has expressed interest in staying in Vancouver.
This could have changed the dynamic drastically in trade talks, and could be a major precursor in a Brock Boeser trade, instead.
JT: " I'd stay for $8M/yr x 6-7 yrs"

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
or a Conor Garland trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad