Speculation: Fantasy GM and Rumor Roundup Thread | "Trader Jim" gearing up for TDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Hamonic is 10 times more movable then Tucker Poolman

Hamonic is a decent hockey player who makes around what he should be making, his status is the most annoying part, Poolman has 3 more years of overpaid

You do know for like the past 5 years Hamonic has only wanted to play in Western Canada right?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The whole JR is ‘holding his cards close to his chest’..or he is playing the media to strengthen his bargaining power ,is kind of absurd..imo

NHL teams employ hundreds of people to assess hockey players..Its no secret what JT Miller,or Conor Garland can do..or what their true value is..

What JR says to the media doesn’t change a thing…He’s speaking openly and honestly about where they are as a team.

Last edited:

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
The whole JR is ‘holding his cards close to his chest’..or he is playing the media to strengthen his bargaining power ,is kind of absurd..imo

NHL teams employ hundreds of people to assess hockey players..Its no secret what JT Miller,or Conor Garland can do..or what their true value is..

What JR says to the media doesn’t change a thing…He’s speaking openly and honestly about where they are as a team.

Sorry how do you know he's speaking openly and honestly to the media. Most GM's are not like Benning. Gillis certainly didn't like the media or tell them much of anything, you could almost bet when Gillis did an interview he really wouldn't say anything useful or interesting. The only interesting Gillis interview was when he said f*** it and was about to be fired, I remember when Benning came in some media praised his transparency in comparison to gillis. Furthermore why would a gm be open and honest about everything for competing teams dissect what his plans are. Some really weird takes on this board.

You know what is absurd any gm being open and honest to the media about a teams plans or who they like in the draft (ie juolevi).

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think the direction depends on what JR can get for the players he's open to moving but that it's more likely to be a pretty significant retool than a push for the playoffs. Pushing for the playoffs hasn't necessarily been ruled out but the team is spending more time preparing for other contingencies, as they should. It's great to see a functioning front office that is engaged with reality and not best-case scenarios.

I mean, exactly.

Rutherford is being very measured in what he says.

They have nothing to gain by announcing a fire sale now before the GM has even settled in and before they've finished their evaluations and started making plans. And I'm sure if the team rattles off an 8-game win streak while that's happening then they'll factor that into the equation and are (very slightly) allowing for that contingency. But we can have a pretty good guess on what's actually going to happen.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Sorry how do you know he's speaking openly and honestly to the media. Most GM's are not like Benning. Gillis certainly didn't like the media or tell them much of anything, you could almost bet when Gillis did an interview he really wouldn't say anything useful or interesting. The only interesting Gillis interview was when he said f*** it and was about to be fired, I remember when Benning came in some media praised his transparency in comparison to gillis. Furthermore why would a gm be open and honest about everything for competing teams dissect what his plans are. Some really weird takes on this board.
That's my take on Rutherford, I don't think there's any reason to 'play' the media....He seems very transparent to me, and has made no bones that there's work that has to be done..(to improve his established core group, and take it to the next level)...Thinking that other GM's are listening to his radio interviews to 'get a leg up' ..is absurd...As I said before, there's no secrets here..Whatever his plans are have no bearing on the value of his top players (of which he is in no urgent rush to unload)

Benning was a poor public speaker..I don't think that affected him in dealing with other GM's ..Most of the damage he did was in UFA.

Gillis had complete disdain for the media from day one (came across to me as being really defensive)...All 3 GM's seem completely different in mannerisms to the media.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Why dump useful players for mid round picks ? Motte? Schenn? Highmore? a 3rd, 4th and 6th? I just don’t see the point. If we can’t get more don’t trade them. But fair, lazy response on my part
These players are easily replaceable for cheap in the offseason if you know what to look for. There's no point in not turning them into draft picks now, no matter how late the picks are.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
That's my take on Rutherford, I don't think there's any reason to 'play' the media....He seems very transparent to me, and has made no bones that there's work that has to be done..(to improve his established core group, and take it to the next level)...Thinking that other GM's are listening to his radio interviews to 'get a leg up' ..is absurd...As I said before, there's no secrets here..Whatever his plans are have no bearing on the value of his top players (of which he is in no urgent rush to unload)

Benning was a poor public speaker..I don't think that affected him in dealing with other GM's ..Most of the damage he did was in UFA.

Gillis had complete disdain for the media from day one (came across to me as being really defensive)...All 3 GM's seem completely different in mannerisms to the media.

I guess we have completely differing impressions of Rutherford. Over time we will see who is right. He strokes me as someone who is only going to say what he is comfortable floating out to the world.

One other thing though, who says GM's sit there and listen to interviews? That's not how the world works when you are at the top, but information gets out and word spreads. Nobody is suggesting any gm sits and listens to radio, come on.

Also I was not discussing what damage Jimbo may or may not have done, I did however say he told the media what he is thinking. And yeah Gillis disliked the media, who knows what Rutherford thinks of the media or how transparent he wants to be.

Pump n Dump

Sep 2, 2009
North Vancouver, BC
A bit of a strange comment though when the team should want to cash in on the crazy prices. I get trading a piece like Miller early if they decide to move him, since he will be the best forward on the market and they should get teams' best prices early, but for depth pieces like Motte or Schenn they should probably go down to the wire.
Yes, makes sense if you're buyer, not a seller. The one factor that does mitigate in favour of selling early is injury risk.

Pump n Dump

Sep 2, 2009
North Vancouver, BC
Lol..Benning deserved to get fired..(as did Gillis and most of the other former Canuck GMs) This thread has nothing to do with him

You need to come up with some original thoughts.on JRs interview,and be specific about it..Or back up what you're saying...You’re just parroting the status quo here

I don't see anything in those quotes that necessarily amounts to more than trying to tamp down the rumour mill.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Well they can trade him 23 possible teams this year and any team that wants him next year.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Why dump useful players for mid round picks ? Motte? Schenn? Highmore? a 3rd, 4th and 6th? I just don’t see the point. If we can’t get more don’t trade them. But fair, lazy response on my part
Makes no sense to me either..Isn't Schenn signed for another year..?..Why get rid of him simply for the sake of change..?..Highmore is the same..Do they come any cheaper..?

I'm hoping that they can sort something out with Motte, because he's the straw that stirs the drink on that line..and deserves to get paid.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Makes no sense to me either..Isn't Schenn signed for another year..?..Why get rid of him simply for the sake of change..?..Highmore is the same..Do they come any cheaper..?

I'm hoping that they can sort something out with Motte, because he's the straw that stirs the drink on that line..and deserves to get paid.
I suppose the idea is: if you can simply replace them with signings in the off-season (at or below cost) and can get assets for them now, then you try to get the assets. The question for me is how replaceable they each/all are. Schenn is good value for money. Can he be replaced? Sure. Effectively and at the same cost? Probably not. If you are getting a good pick for him though, or if he is needed to make a mother important deal go down, maybe you make that move. You don’t have to though. They are in the driver seat there.

Reactions: Peter Griffin

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017

It’s absurd how much picks are overvalued on this site. Yeah a 4th round pick! We have an 8% chance of getting a 3rd liner in 5 years! Some of our depth pieces have more value to the Canucks than a mid round pick

Reactions: MS

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Lol at that poster saying benning is irrelevant when he neeeded to defend benning for years and always had his “but Gillis” comments

can’t wait for him to scurry back to whatever he’ll hole he came from
pretty sure some guys are still holding onto the idea that Benning actually built a decent roster and that JR will validate that by deciding not to trade away a bunch of guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad