OT: Fantasy Draft Discussion Thread

What should the cap be set at? (in millions)

• Total voters

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Fantasy draft rules:
20 rounds aka full team
Player position lock
Team lock to 3 players per team
Salary cap $83.5mil
Draft timer 4 hours

Trades are allowed. One for one trades only though. So a few examples:

---One pick for one pick.
---One pick for one player.
---One player for one player.
---Two picks for one player and one pick.
---One pick and two players for two picks and one player.

Participants:
@The Abusement Park
@Northern Avs Fan
@Gatorbait19
@Pierce Hawthorne
@Foppberg
@UncleRisto
@Lonewolfe2015
@PAZ
@Tweaky
@m0pe
@Murzu
@hi

Last edited:
Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Down for it. Is this the 'pick the best team' you can draft? Salary cap? Position lock? Just curious.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Love it. I’m in.

So we pick from current NHL players and try to build a squad that would destroy all others?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Down for it. Is this the 'pick the best team' you can draft? Salary cap? Position lock? Just curious.
Salary cap was the other thing I forgot to mention. I figured a group decision on whether we do salary cap or not would be best. I'm totally fine with either.

Love it. I’m in.

So we pick from current NHL players and try to build a squad that would destroy all others?

Basically. It'd be like doing your draft for you fantasy football/hockey league just on here instead.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
That’s what I’m leaning towards as well but I’m easy as well.

Kinda like the idea of a few simple rules. Done these before unlimited and it turns into totally unrealistic teams and not a ton of depth taken. With rules some people might go early, others late, etc.

- Salary Cap (something like 80 or 90?)
- Position Lock (eg can't move McDavid to wing)
- Per team limit (eg can't have Landy and MacK)

Not saying to do it, just laying out the reasoning in case anyone wants to or doesn't. To me the cap is the only big one.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Kinda like the idea of a few simple rules. Done these before unlimited and it turns into totally unrealistic teams and not a ton of depth taken. With rules some people might go early, others late, etc.

Not saying to do it, just laying out the reasoning in case anyone wants to or doesn't. To me the cap is the only big one.
Like I said I’m fine with whatever, a cap works for me. Probably makes more sense.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
I feel like a crack addict missing sports in general so I’m up for almost anything at this point.

What are we drafting for though? Fantasy hockey for whenever the season starts up again? For next year? Just so we can oogle and pretend we’ve got something to do and vote who has best team?

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

Yeah, I like these. I'd go with a strict cap for fun. I like the team limit too. That's new, but it would necessitate some more fiddling. If we wanted we could do an age restriction too. Say you can't pick more than a certain number of players under some age limit, or you have to pick an X amount of players over some age.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
My preference would be to do it with a salary cap. Really makes some choices tougher to make later on in the draft(Actually even at the top for that matter).

I also like the idea of position locking, but we would need to clarify that rule a little harder. For example a guy like Draisaitl is a Center but has certainly played his share of time at the Wing so does he get locked as a Center or can he be drafted as a Winger? Lots of examples similar to that. I guess with Dmen we wont lock anyone in place.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
My preference would be to do it with a salary cap. Really makes some choices tougher to make later on in the draft(Actually even at the top for that matter).

I also like the idea of position locking, but we would need to clarify that rule a little harder. For example a guy like Draisaitl is a Center but has certainly played his share of time at the Wing so does he get locked as a Center or can he be drafted as a Winger? Lots of examples similar to that. I guess with Dmen we wont lock anyone in place.
On position lock I feel like if a player has spent significant time in the past couple seasons at multiple positions he could be moved? Like Stammer, Drai, Giroux?

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
We’re at ten now.

upload_2020-4-5_9-10-28.gif

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Quick thought.

Should we say that you can only have one unbalanced defence pair?

So you need to have two defence pairs that match Lefty-Righty. That would be more like NHL teams and would make us put more thought into our selections.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad