Fantasy Baseball Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
And how have you fared over the seasons, playoff runs?

Everyone runs their own strategies. I just believe its easier to fill out a good position player roster in mid to late rounds than it is to form a solid pitching staff.

Half the league makes the playoffs with the top two getting a bye, but I've finished first, second, fourth and fifth.

I mean, I've got Matz and Shelby Miller as my fourth and fifth starters and we only get six starts a week.

C - Mesoraco eh
1B - Freeman
2B - Cano
SS - Al. Escobar yuck
3B - Sano
OF - Cutch/Adam Jones/Eaton/Gordon/Holliday
DH - Ortiz

Not awful but far from great.

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
I wouldn't call it deep... it's just very top heavy. After the first tier of Donaldson, Machado, Arenado and Bryant, who is next? Frazier?

I have them in tiers. I have the same 1st tier, then another tier of Frazier, Seager, Beltre and Carpenter, then another tier of Longoria, Franco, Sano and Kang, etc. They certainly aren't Donaldson but 2B is basically a dumpster fire comparatively and SS is all high ceiling hope they get there guys or guys you hope rebound. There's a lot of solid in 3B.

keslerburrows

Mar 9, 2011
Vernon, Canada
In a 12 team keeper league where we keep 12, is this veto worthy?

Mar 288:33 PMTrade Accepted
KILL traded Giancarlo Stanton, Mia to LAR
LAR traded Yoan Moncada, Bos to KILL
LAR traded Corey Seager, LAD to KILL
LAR traded Blake Snell, TB to KILL

I understand that Moncada and Snell are really good prospects, but they haven't proven anything at the major league level. Moncada isn't even likely to make his debut in the majors this year as he has just 306 at bats in the minors, all at the A level. Seager is a good piece but simply not enough for a top 5-10 player in Stanton who is in his prime and one of the prime candidates to lead the big leagues in homers for years ahead.

Anyone else have an opinion?

Definitely not. Seagar is almost as valuable as Stanton at this point. Stanton hasn't been anywhere near the top 10 players for 2 years, and he plays at a position where you can find replacement value much, much cheaper. Seagar plays at a premium position, where replacements are very slim. Snell was the best pitcher not in the majors last year.

Pass

darko

Feb 16, 2009
The 3B position just seems so deep this year (mixed league).

It's top heavy with 3 guys that should go in Round 1 and another guy (Bryant) borderline 1st rounder. Next best is Frazier who is a 4th rounder but then it gets really tricky. Seager is solid. Do you believe in Carpenter repeating his 28 HRs? Sano has 3B eligibility this season but may not play the position (works in 1 year leagues but not so much in keepers). Father Time will start catching up to Beltre (probably started last year). Rendon is a guy that should make the jump and join the big-4 (again). Couple wild cards with Moustakas and Franco who are both capable hitting 30+.

I'd prefer to snag one of the big-4. If I miss out then I'll target Frazier or Seager or take a punt on Sano (1 year league) or Rendon (bounce back).

darko

Feb 16, 2009
In a 12 team keeper league where we keep 12, is this veto worthy?

Mar 288:33 PMTrade Accepted
KILL traded Giancarlo Stanton, Mia to LAR
LAR traded Yoan Moncada, Bos to KILL
LAR traded Corey Seager, LAD to KILL
LAR traded Blake Snell, TB to KILL

I understand that Moncada and Snell are really good prospects, but they haven't proven anything at the major league level. Moncada isn't even likely to make his debut in the majors this year as he has just 306 at bats in the minors, all at the A level. Seager is a good piece but simply not enough for a top 5-10 player in Stanton who is in his prime and one of the prime candidates to lead the big leagues in homers for years ahead.

Anyone else have an opinion?

I like Snell and Seager is going to be very good, very soon. If KILL is rebuilding than that's the perfect way to go about it. Fair deal IMO.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Dumb question, but I've been playing fantasy for three years in a really old-school league on OnRoto. I'm setting up a league on ESPN for me and my friends. How does auction-style/FAAB free agency work in ESPN? What is the player's salary if you win them?

For example, in my other league, if you win a free agent using FAAB, they join your team at an $8 salary.
Asking because this obviously has keeper implications.

Thanks!

Say Hey Kid

War's just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
In order:

1. Mike Trout LAA - OF
2. Paul Goldschmidt Ari
3. Bryce Harper Was - OF
4. Clayton Kershaw LAD - SP
5. Josh Donaldson Tor
6. Miguel Cabrera Det
7. Manny Machado Bal
8. Nolan Arenado Col
9. Andrew McCutchen Pit - OF
10. Carlos Correa Hou
11. Giancarlo Stanton Mia - OF

I changed my 10 and 11 slots to this. Pwn, we use the middle infielder position in my 2 leagues so Machado may be slightly less valuable in them, but of course as always I respect your opinion. I don't wanna list more, because my 12 and 13 slots will appear to be homer picks.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Kyle Gibson
Joe Kelly
Tanner Roark
Kris Medlen
Robbie Ray
Derek Holland
Nathan Eovaldi
Jonathan Gray

Leaning toward Eovaldi because his peripherals were great last season and he's with the Yankees, but Gibson might be the most solid guy to go for.

I'd go Gibson from that list. I think he actually has a chance to breakout and be a pretty useful pitcher. Obviously not great to base things on spring training, but he's been much more successful with Ks, and if he combines that with how he normally pitches, he will at least be very useful. I'd say it's at least worth giving him a shot until Wheeler is ready.

For your other conundrum, I think I'd drop Bradley and add Norris, though maybe you can get away with adding Norris and putting him on IR?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Thanks for the tips. I think that you're right about Gibson -- he really only needs to take a very slight step forward to see a 'drastic' improvement to his numbers, and he's already a fairly safe floor pitcher. I mean my line-up and pitching is already pretty strong anyway (14 team, h2h):

Batters: Jonathan Lucroy, Joey Votto, Ian Kinsler, Jean Segura, Nolan Arenado, George Springer, Joc Pederson, Gerardo Parra, Wil Myers, Marcell Ozuna, Josh Ho Kang, Joe Panik, Jackie Bradley Jr. (most likely dropping him)

Starters: Chris Archer, Danny Salazar, Garrett Richards, Jose Quintana, Shelby Miller, Matt Moore, Zack Wheeler (Kyle Gibson)

Relievers: Cody Allen, Arodys Vizcaino, Kevin Siegrist

Our league is a 5x6 that uses OBP instead of average and has QS as a category for pitching so I'm pretty happy with how it turned out this year. The league is a pretty good one so most of the guys tend to draft pretty strong teams.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Wasn't too happy about my draft as a whole. I want to get rid of a couple of Quintana, Wood, Santiago for some batters. I'm looking at Story (COL, SS), Lamb (ARZ, 3b), Tomas (ARZ, 3b,OF), White (HOU, 1b,3b), JBJ (BOS, OF). I'm missing multi-positioned players in my line up and I also really don't want to trot out Burns as my UTIL. Any suggestions? I have a lot of younger positional players so I'm looking for insurance.

10 team H2H
Categories:
H, R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OBP
W, L, SV, K, ERA, WHIP, K/9

C - Lucroy (1B)
1b - Belt (OF)
2b - Kinsler
3b - Sano
Ss - Correa
OF - Bautista
OF - Cruz
OF - Polanco
Util - Franco (3b)
Util - Burns (OF)

SP - Bumgarner
SP - F. Hernandez
SP - Carrasco
SP - Ross
SP - Zimmerman
RP - Ramos
RP - Doolittle
RP - Hoover
BN - Quintana
BN - Smyly
BN - Santiago
BN - Wood

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Wasn't too happy about my draft as a whole. I want to get rid of a couple of Quintana, Wood, Santiago for some batters. I'm looking at Story (COL, SS), Lamb (ARZ, 3b), Tomas (ARZ, 3b,OF), White (HOU, 1b,3b), JBJ (BOS, OF). I'm missing multi-positioned players in my line up and I also really don't want to trot out Burns as my UTIL. Any suggestions? I have a lot of younger positional players so I'm looking for insurance.

10 team H2H
Categories:

C - Lucroy (1B)
1b - Belt (OF)
2b - Kinsler
3b - Sano
Ss - Correa
OF - Bautista
OF - Cruz
OF - Polanco
Util - Franco (3b)
Util - Burns (OF)

SP - Bumgarner
SP - F. Hernandez
SP - Carrasco
SP - Ross
SP - Zimmerman
RP - Ramos
RP - Doolittle
RP - Hoover
BN - Quintana
BN - Smyly
BN - Santiago
BN - Wood

Even though you already have two 3Bs I'd be very tempted to snatch Lamb. Trevor Story too.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
My brain says Santana, my heart says Souza. I have an unhealthy fascination with Souza but I trust the former to actually put together an impact fantasy season.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
Does anybody know of any MLB fantasy leagues where you're given a set amount of money to buy players who are rated differently based on their production, as opposed to drafting teams?

I remember the sporting news had it years ago, but haven't found anything after attempting to google it.

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
Had my draft last night.

8 Teams (I know, but we've had fun with 8 good managers), 5x5 mixed league.

I think I pretty much covered the categories. Maybe could use more power but otherwise I was pleased.

How the hell Machado lasted until it came back around is beyond me.

1. (6) Clayton Kershaw (LAD - SP)
2. (11) Manny Machado (Bal - 3B,SS)
3. (22) Buster Posey (SF - C,1B)
4. (27) Charlie Blackmon (Col - OF)
5. (38) Stephen Strasburg (Was - SP)
6. (43) Miguel Sano (Min - 3B)
7. (54) Rougned Odor (Tex - 2B)
8. (59) Jason Heyward (ChC - OF)
9. (70) Aroldis Chapman (NYY - RP)
10. (75) Jon Lester (ChC - SP)
11. (86) Albert Pujols (LAA - 1B)
12. (91) Héctor Rondón (ChC - RP)
13. (102) Freddie Freeman (Atl - 1B)
14. (107) Michael Wacha (StL - SP)
15. (118) Wei-Yin Chen (Mia - SP)
16. (123) Masahiro Tanaka (NYY - SP)
17. (134) Sean Doolittle (Oak - RP)
18. (139) Roberto Osuna (Tor - RP)
19. (150) Kenta Maeda (LAD - SP)
20. (155) Matt Holliday (StL - OF)
21. (166) Ben Revere (WAS - OF)

Garlando

May 5, 2014
Kingston, Ontario

10 team H2H
Categories:

C - Lucroy (1B)
1b - Belt (OF)
2b - Kinsler
3b - Sano
Ss - Correa
OF - Bautista
OF - Cruz
OF - Polanco
Util - Franco (3b)
Util - Burns (OF)

SP - Bumgarner
SP - F. Hernandez
SP - Carrasco
SP - Ross
SP - Zimmerman
RP - Ramos
RP - Doolittle
RP - Hoover
BN - Quintana
BN - Smyly
BN - Santiago
BN - Wood

Of the sleepers you've mentioned, Story is the guy I would target. Decent power profile that will play up at Coors and he plays a premium position. He could be a top borderline top 5 SS with a full year. Problem is you have no place for him to play in your lineup...I would still grab him though

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Dropped Santiago and Wood for Lamb and Story. A little bit worried about Reyes coming back since the charges were dropped but I hope Story kills it and Reyes is blackballed/suspended by the league. Thanks guys.

Re: Correa, I took him 6th in my draft.
1 Goldschmidt
2 Donaldson
3 Harper
4 Trout
5 Kershaw
6 Correa

Say Hey Kid

War's just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Correa went 5th in my draft. That's strong. Certainly reasonable but hella bullish.

1. Mike Trout
2. Paul Goldschmidt
3. Bryce Harper
4. Clayton Kershaw
5. Manny Machado
6. Carlos Correa

You've sold me on MIs. My 2nd draft is tonight. I'm the Commish. My non pre-ranked part of the draft order is listed above.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
12 teams, points only. I'm "sharing" this team with my brother, but apparently, I have to pay for all of it.

C- Schwarber
1B- Pujols
2B- Gordon
3B- Donaldson
SS- Story
OF- Bautista
OF- J. Martinez
OF- Heyward
Util- Duffy

SP- Lester
SP- Hamels
SP- Liriano
SP- Corbin
SP- Leake
RP- Robertson

BN- A. Escobar
BN- Za. Wheeler
BN- Vogt
BN- Revere
BN- Grichuk

We picked 4th.

Run: 1 point
Home run: 1 point
RBI: 1 point
Hit: 1 point
Stolen Base: 1 point

So, a solo home run is four points.

Win: 15 points
Relief win: -10 points
Loss: -5 points
Save: 10 points
Complete game: 5 points
Shutout: 5 points
No-hitter: 5 points
Perfect game: 5 points

A relief win is five points. A perfect game is 35 points.

Thoughts?

Say Hey Kid

War's just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
It will be interesting to see who has the better 5 category year this season.

1. (10) Carlos Correa (Hou - MI)
2. (11) Kris Bryant (ChC - CI,OF)
3. (30) Jacob deGrom (NYM - SP)
4. (31) José Fernández (Mia - SP)
5. (50) Gerrit Cole (Pit - SP)

6. (51) Adrián González (LAD - CI)
7. (70) Todd Frazier (CWS - CI)
8. (71) Jason Kipnis (Cle - MI)
9. (90) Danny Salazar (Cle - SP)
10. (91) Garrett Richards (LAA - SP)

11. (110) Russell Martin (Tor - C)
12. (111) Jacoby Ellsbury (NYY - OF)
13. (130) Kole Calhoun (LAA - OF)
14. (131) Ben Revere (Was - OF)
15. (150) Shawn Tolleson (Tex - RP)
16. (151) Jake McGee (Col - RP)
17. (170) Drew Storen (Tor - RP)
18. (171) Jeremy Jeffress (Mil - RP)
19. (190) Gerardo Parra (Col - OF)
20. (191) - SP

Wei-Yin Chen Mia - SP
Jordan Zimmermann Det - SP
Lance McCullers Hou - SP
Julio Teherán Atl - SP
Joe Ross Was - SP
Kyle Hendricks ChC - SP
Scott Kazmir LAD - SP

This is my 2nd H2H 5 X 5 (Except Saves + Holds) team. I'm #1 in waivers and could get any of those SPs listed above. What do you think of it and which SP should I get?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad