Fantastic pre season Florida Tampa

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
The rules of the game in this regard only specify the consequences so rules can be broken and will be broken if it helps achieving something within the game. If it wasn't the case then you wouldn't see a single penalty taken in the league. Just amp up the negative consequences of a certain infraction then the players will follow it more religiously.

You'll see guys like Bennett, Lomberg and Marchment being deployed by Quenneville because their strategy works.
Sure. I wasn't trying to make this into a moral dilemma. You do what you gotta do to win. That should be a given in any well run pro sports organization.

18 million over the cap any day baby.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Sure. I wasn't trying to make this into a moral dilemma. You do what you gotta do to win. That should be a given in any well run pro sports organization.

18 million over the cap any day baby.

Yup.

Hopefully Lomberg can arrange that cap situation for you tonite. :)

Reactions: JoVel

WinnieThePooh

Oct 5, 2021
It will be very intriguing to see how the Atlantic matches up against these two - Florida seems to have taken a step forward, while Tampa has taken a small step back. Can Boston/Toronto etc keep up now? Or will Tampa run away with it again? Or will Florida shock us Northerners and show us why they gave Tampa the toughest series last Spring?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
It will be very intriguing to see how the Atlantic matches up against these two - Florida seems to have taken a step forward, while Tampa has taken a small step back. Can Boston/Toronto etc keep up now? Or will Tampa run away with it again? Or will Florida shock us Northerners and show us why they gave Tampa the toughest series last Spring?

You mean the 2nd easiest? Carolina was better than Florida.

Reactions: The Macho King

WinnieThePooh

Oct 5, 2021
You mean the 2nd easiest? Carolina was better than Florida.

I was going by xG, wasn't it the tightest?

I also thought Carolina had the best real shot at being Tampa last year. Actually I thought Colorado did...but then NHL did the NHL thing where a fun, offensively gifted team got snuffed out by a tight checking team.

However, I am curious now - can you rank the series' based on difficulty from your POV?

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
So, had he been skating with the puck at center ice, you’re not allowed to touch him?
Well the goalie can't touch the puck past center ice, but that is correct. You may not check the goalie. You can poke the puck off his stick, but you are not allowed to intentionally come into contact with the goalie.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I was going by xG, wasn't it the tightest?

I also thought Carolina had the best real shot at being Tampa last year. Actually I thought Colorado did...but then NHL did the NHL thing where a fun, offensively gifted team got snuffed out by a tight checking team.

However, I am curious now - can you rank the series' based on difficulty from your POV?

Florida was such a gongshow defensively and in net. They never seemed like a serious threat to win that series, especially going down 2-0 and skating by in game 3. GF/GA don't mean much that series as it was run/gun early and once Tampa got structured they outscored Florida 14-3 in the last 3 games. People think it's close cause there was a lot goon moments but it really wasn't, Florida gave up 27 goals in 6 games, no ones winning a playoff series with those numbers.

The first 3 games against Carolina were 1 goal games in which Carolina were multiple bounces away from winning, they were much better than Florida defensively and in net.

The Islander's series is self explanatory.

Last edited:

WinnieThePooh

Oct 5, 2021
Florida was such a gongshow defensively and in net, they never seemed like a serious threat to win that series, especially going down 2-0 and skating by in game 3. GF/GA don't mean much that series as it was run/gun early and once Tampa got structured they outscored Florida 14-3 in the last 3 games. People think it's close cause there was a lot goon moments but it really wasn't, Florida gave up 27 goals in 6 games, no ones winning a playoff series with those numbers.

The first 3 games against Carolina were 1 goal games in which Carolina was a multiple bounces away from winning, they were much better than Florida defensively and in net.

The Islander's series is self explanatory.

It's crazy that the Habs series (Finals) was the easiest, but it honestly looked like pre season hockey where one team is icing their good squad at home and the other is basically AHLers.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
So, had he been skating with the puck at center ice, you’re not allowed to touch him?
27.7 Participating in the Play Over the Center Red Line - If a goalkeeper
participates in the play in any manner (intentionally plays the puck or
checks an opponent) when he is beyond the center red line, a minor
penalty shall be imposed upon him. The position of the puck is the
determining factor for the application of this rule.

Reactions: Beezeral

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I can't speak to the stats, but the series against Florida felt a lot closer than the Carolina series. It really didn't feel like the Canes' heads were in it, whatever the stats say.
On the other hand it was also the worst series the Lightning played in that playoff run. Lots of mistakes they didn't make further down the run. Not like they were really forced by Florida either. They were still finding their feet for a good bit.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Panthers vs Lightning as a rivalry would be great for the sport of Hockey in Florida. It would also open up a door to a potential in-state rivalry that the state doesn't really have in the professional landscape.

I'm looking forward to their battles this upcoming season. Aside from the state pride thing, two very good teams that are also very well coached.

Reactions: Vilam

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Whoa...9 pages?

Did I miss anything?

you missed guys, including myself, fall for a few other guys’ lame chirps, some guy saying the main board is reserved for threads like “players in movies” and “how good would Gretzky be today” instead of a thread on an entertaining pre-season game, and some solid posts mixed in. You should be up to speed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad