Fans who root for players, rather than for teams

G0AT

Jun 1, 2014
Chicago
I think I know what he's asking and those fans disgust me because they aren't fans, go in our forum read the pre game and game day threads, you will see "fans" rooting for Reimer against the Leafs.

Those "fans" are a disgrace to the fanbase

Liking a player is fine rooting for that player against your favorite team?

Pathetic

Tbh, I think with the internet, came the "troll" fans like the ones you speak of. The Blackhawks board has a few, that will remain nameless. :D

paragon

May 5, 2010
Only team I root for unconditionally is Team Finland. I don't have a strong attachment to any NHL team. I admittedly only follow and root for teams with Finns in them. Imo rooting for a team "just because" doesn't give you a higher moral ground to stand on.

I also don't think being a coach or GM makes you infallible. I don't like Babcock. He plays his vets to a fault. Pretty sad to see guys like Cleary, who did so much for the Red Wings, become scorned by fans because the Babcock doesn't understand when his vets hit the expiration date. Babcock also gets overrated for winning gold with Team Canada. I'm pretty sure Dallas Eakins could have coached that roster to gold. Last season we saw that you can't polish a turd. Even the "best coach in the league" can coach his team to a last place finnish when he doesn't have a good roster.

Babcock and Lou were the reasons I was happy to see Toronto win the draft. Would have hated seeing Laine "eased" into the league playing limited minutes in bottom 6. His story would look so different.

I have soft spots for certain players. Coaches who run rigid systems irrespective of their players drive me nuts. For example I absolutely hated what Dale Hunter did to Ovechkin, benching him when Caps had the lead. Or how Tortorella used the Sedins. I don't care for Subban, but I can relate to how some fans felt when Therrien was benching or scratching him.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Countless ''fans'' said they we're done with the Habs when they traded PK.
I'm glad they're gone
I love PK but it was a good hockey trade and if you can't aknowledge that, you're not a real fan

I still don't think it was a good trade. Maybe a necessary one though

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Most could care less about PK. They were just finally done with the stupidity of the Habs GM. For some reason, a lot of fans like you can't seem to grasp this concept. You just assume one thing by the coincidental timing of the other, and instead of asking you just jump to conclusions or listen to the spewed garbage from the other blind followers.
I, personally, am rooting for the Habs to lose so the idiot and outdated coach gets fired, but I don't want the moron GM to trade away players trying to "fix" the team first.
Habs have a really good team, with lots of potential, that would be amazing under an actual NHL level head coach who had proper coaching skills.
The thought of Michel Therrien's name on the Stanley Cup makes me sick.

As for the, "topic", I am a huge Duchene fan, but not a fan of the Avs. It's not that I want the Avs to lose or anything, Just not my team.
I couldn't care less about the Caps, but would be nice to see Ovi get a Cup.
Bergevin is a great gm. Hasn't lost a trade yet. The only thing I can fault him for is sticking with the coach, but is there really better options out there? And even then, MT has seemed to regain the room.

I hope you miss a cup win in your self important protest.

Mashed Potatoes

Feb 14, 2015
Us Europeas who don't have a strong attachment do so. You switch teams but stick with your players longer. I used to be a Colorado Avalanche fan but then Duchene peaked

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Who cares if people only follow specific players for whatever reason? Alot of europeans just follow players from their country, because what connection do they have to a random business franchise?

I started following the Rangers because of Lundqvist and that's kind of my team now (I like many of the other players as well), but I totally get those who have no real team and only check up on players, I did that for quite some time (following the Avs only because of Forsberg).

I don't understand how someone can root against the team "their" player is on though only for individual success for some weird reason, that's just... weird.

I also have to point out I detest the NHL and how it conducts its business. That's right, it's a business model. That's it's a business model revolving around the exploitation of a specific sport isn't making things better. If hockey actually came first (economy being a part of playing the sport, as a sports club), things would look alot better for the actual sport, but now it doesn't. That doesn't make picking a NHL business franchise any easier.

Last edited:

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Bergevin is a great gm. Hasn't lost a trade yet. The only thing I can fault him for is sticking with the coach, but is there really better options out there? And even then, MT has seemed to regain the room.

I hope you miss a cup win in your self important protest.

Uh huh. Uyeah, ok.
What ever makes you sleep at night.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I root for the Avs first and foremost; but Radulov has made me such a fan when it comes to the Habs, as Radulov is my favorite current hockey player. So I root for him much more than I do that team.

I actually had a similar relationship with the Habs previously when Subban still played for them, as he's so damn charming & fun to watch; easily one of my favorite non-Radulov or Landeskog players in this sport.

Booster*

Jan 10, 2016
Who cares if people only follow specific players for whatever reason? Alot of europeans just follow players from their country, because what connection do they have to a random business franchise?

I started following the Rangers because of Lundqvist and that's kind of my team now (I like many of the other players as well), but I totally get those who have no real team and only check up on players, I did that for quite some time (following the Avs only because of Forsberg).

I don't understand how someone can root against the team "their" player is on though only for individual success for some weird reason, that's just... weird.

I also have to point out I detest the NHL and how it conducts its business. That's right, it's a business model. That's it's a business model revolving around the exploitation of a specific sport isn't making things better. If hockey actually came first (economy being a part of playing the sport, as a sports club), things would look alot better for the actual sport, but now it doesn't. That doesn't make picking a NHL business franchise any easier.

This, people in NA should understand that too. Also some coutries might only have 1-10 players from their country in the entire league. If i was Slovenian, why would i NOT root for LA and change if Kopitar is traded? It´s a bit different if half the leagues players are from your country.

NA pro-sports kind of lacks soul too, like there might not be a single player on "your" team that actually originates from the same state as the team. :help:

You can be the worst team in the league and instead of being degraded to a lower league and smaller teams being able to climb to the big leagues, you are rewarded the best young player... which from a euro standpoint actually seems weird. All in the name of business.

Russian Factor

Jan 8, 2015
Pittsburgh
There is absolutely nothing wrong with rooting for players first and teams second. Generally speaking, people should be encouraged to be fans however they choose. This **** is supposed to be fun.

I do think there is something special about the undying loyalty and community feel that comes with rooting for your local club but not everyone can do that or wants to do that for one reason or the other and... well, who cares.

Personally - I root for Malkin and the Penguins 1st, most Russian players around the league 2nd

(I'm not Russian I just like the Russian players/style. Also, as a good yinzer should, I love to follow the Pittsburgh boys like Saad, Gibson, Miller etc)

McNurse

Sep 2, 2015
Only team I root for unconditionally is Team Finland. I don't have a strong attachment to any NHL team. I admittedly only follow and root for teams with Finns in them. Imo rooting for a team "just because" doesn't give you a higher moral ground to stand on.

I also don't think being a coach or GM makes you infallible. I don't like Babcock. He plays his vets to a fault. Pretty sad to see guys like Cleary, who did so much for the Red Wings, become scorned by fans because the Babcock doesn't understand when his vets hit the expiration date. Babcock also gets overrated for winning gold with Team Canada. I'm pretty sure Dallas Eakins could have coached that roster to gold. Last season we saw that you can't polish a turd. Even the "best coach in the league" can coach his team to a last place finnish when he doesn't have a good roster.

Babcock and Lou were the reasons I was happy to see Toronto win the draft. Would have hated seeing Laine "eased" into the league playing limited minutes in bottom 6. His story would look so different.

I have soft spots for certain players. Coaches who run rigid systems irrespective of their players drive me nuts. For example I absolutely hated what Dale Hunter did to Ovechkin, benching him when Caps had the lead. Or how Tortorella used the Sedins. I don't care for Subban, but I can relate to how some fans felt when Therrien was benching or scratching him.

He really couldn't. The players could play without a coach and be better then what he would do.

catnip

Jan 5, 2015
I don't care for teams. I do follow some of them more closely than others because there are a number of players I like to keep track of but I really do not give a toss if some random hockey club I have no ties to wins or loses a game. Why would I? How many NA posters here can honestly say they're fans of some KHL or FEL team?

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
I am not someone who is just a fan of specific players. I don't like sports without teams because I want something I can cheer for forever and not have to keep finding something new every so often.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I used to cheer for Team Sweden strictly because of Sundin. I loved Mats so much that I even cheered for Sweden over Canada at the 2002 Olympics. Sweden actually did thrash Canada 5-2 in a round robin game that Olympics, with Mats scoring 3 points, if I remember correctly. I won't ever cheer against Canada again, but I did in 2002. (Of course, Sweden eventually won gold in 2006, which made me happy as well)

I won't lie. Salming and Sundin were so good to the Leafs that I still have a soft spot for Sweden as a country. Great ambassadors, they were. Maybe Kopitar will do the same for Slovenia for Kings fans, I dunno.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
There is an entire contingent of Swedish fans who complain bitterly about Karlsson "being wasted on the Senators".

Can't say that I've seen many, honestly. I have, however, seen plenty non Swedish Sens fans say that.

I already have a team that I sheer for here in Sweden. Only follow my favorite players in the league. Mostly Swedes but also players who at one point or another played for my home team. Ovy is also easy to root for, for example. Players who do stuff on the ice that are pure magic should be appreciated.

Trilliann

Tier 2 fan
May 12, 2016
Below Replacement Level
What is the "right" way to become a fan? Especially for us Euros, who don't have any connection to any NA city or area? Just randomly pick a team from a list?

You have your favourite players on different teams, some maybe because they are from your country, some because you just like the way they play. So you follow those teams more closely than others and eventually one team just grows on you :dunno:

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Since I dont live in the US and got zero connection with any city idc that about any team. NHL is quite boring in general nowadays though but sure I do cheer for a couple of individual players. I also dont understand how you can feel any connection with a team when there are zero homegrown players and just a bunch of mercenaries. Well guess I cant understand murican "culture" in general.

Natt

Oct 7, 2014
Kungsholmen, Sthlm
I follow Swedish players rather than specific NHL teams. Personally I find it hard to understand how one can cheer for a team they have no geographical connection to, from my perspective you dont "pick" a team, you cheer for the team from your hometown - and the only situation where you "pick a team" is if there are multiple ones from your hometown.

I guess my my nationalist beliefs show even when it comes to hockey. ;)

left hand path

Oct 29, 2016
Since I dont live in the US and got zero connection with any city idc that about any team. NHL is quite boring in general nowadays though but sure I do cheer for a couple of individual players. I also dont understand how you can feel any connection with a team when there are zero homegrown players and just a bunch of mercenaries. Well guess I cant understand murican "culture" in general.

Rooting for a player you don't know who happens to be from the same country from you is just as stupid.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
I always followed/cheered Alexander "Mogo" Mogilny no matter what team he played on. At the time the teams he played on I had to follow and cheer because of that. After he left the teams I couldnt care less about those teams.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I'd just like to clarify that I don't really have a problem with people being fans of players over teams, to each their own. Especially when it comes to people coming from a casual interest. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with a player as a gateway into the league or a particular team, most of us doesn't have very good reasons for why we picked a certain team. I became a Leafs fan because they were blue. That's it.

What I do think is that it seems a bit restrictive to key your emotional attachment to one lone player in a team sport.

I don't think it's Babcock's fault Matthews isn't playing like a 5 year veteran.
Matthews got way over hyped and the magical 4 goal night didn't help.
Right now Matthews is going trough an adjustment period, he is getting top matchups and his game has been picked apart by the other teams.
He is no generational player but he will be an elite 1st line C one day.
Babcock is playing him just fine.

Or, since he's still producing shots on goal and scoring chances at a rare level, he's just having the common issue of fluctuations in percentages. Every year a bunch of players go through this early in the season and more or less every time it's just a temporary thing, yet fans never learn.

What the OP talked about wasn't about that either. It's that people have such disdain for Hyman on that line that it overshadows absolutely everything else that is going on, to the point that they want Babcock fired after a 6-1 win because Hyman isn't replaced with someone who is perhaps a slightly better fit.

Last edited:

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
It just occurred to me that I am doing this for national teams. When Germany is out (which can be banked on, lets not kid ourselves here), I root for Malkin and Russia. Then should Russia fail, I root for Crosby and Canada. I'll still root for Russia even when Malkin isn't on the team, but when Crosby isn't playing for Canada, I'll look directly to the next team with a Pens player. Finland and Maatta usually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad