Fans who root for players, rather than for teams

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
I get the feeling many european fans fall into this category. Mainly from countries outside of the big 6.

They follow a team mainly because there happens to be a player of their nationality on it. And once that player gets traded, those fans disappear as well. For the most part.

I will be the first one to admit that I started following the Ducks because they got Hiller in 07.
But since he pretty much turned into an entitled clown over the years, I stayed with the Ducks once he got traded.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think I know what he's asking and those fans disgust me because they aren't fans, go in our forum read the pre game and game day threads, you will see "fans" rooting for Reimer against the Leafs.

Those "fans" are a disgrace to the fanbase

Liking a player is fine rooting for that player against your favorite team?

Pathetic

Bleeker

Mar 6, 2011
Middle Earth
Countless ''fans'' said they we're done with the Habs when they traded PK.
I'm glad they're gone
I love PK but it was a good hockey trade and if you can't aknowledge that, you're not a real fan

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Everyone is a fan of the Penguins. I can't count how many posters have "xxxx/Pens fan in their user name. I wonder what they do if they meet in the playoffs? Another great reason to have a "2nd favorite team" is so you can usually pick the best player in the league and more often than not that team will be pretty successful.

I notice it's way more common in the NBA/NHL. Everyone back in the Jordan era was a xxxxx/Bulls fan, same now with Lebron and Kobe 15 years ago.

habs_24x

Sep 12, 2002
montreal
Visit site
I think I know what he's asking and those fans disgust me because they aren't fans, go in our forum read the pre game and game day threads, you will see "fans" rooting for Reimer against the Leafs.

Those "fans" are a disgrace to the fanbase

Liking a player is fine rooting for that player against your favorite team?

Pathetic

Those people aren't fans they're trolls.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
There is an entire contingent of Swedish fans who complain bitterly about Karlsson "being wasted on the Senators".

johan f

Jun 23, 2008
Sweden
There is an entire contingent of Swedish fans who complain bitterly about Karlsson "being wasted on the Senators".

Well, I am not one of them. I have no urge to see him moved.

I have followed NHL since 70s and never really had just one fav team, but consequently teams with swedes gets more attention in media and thus are teams easier to get a feel for. From very beginning my team was Winnipeg Jets, they had a Swedish colony more or less with Kent Nilsson, Sjoberg, Hedberg etc etc. Salming made me follow Toronto for a while but at same time Montreal, with Mats Naslund, was a complete team and I kept an eye how they did. Then Detroit became a powerhouse with a bunch of swedes, Colorado with Forsberg and so on. Today I have found myself more attached to Ottawa because of Karlsson but also because they are the underdogs, a small market. I think they are my last stop. I am getting too old soon for idolizing players. Karlsson is the last one. When he quits I hope Ottawa have a new owner and some hope for future.

MrClutch86

Aug 23, 2013
Tampa
Bolts have some fans that followed Callahan from the Rangers, but they have integrated nicely into the fanbase.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
I get the feeling many european fans fall into this category. Mainly from countries outside of the big 6.

They follow a team mainly because there happens to be a player of their nationality on it. And once that player gets traded, those fans disappear as well. For the most part.

I will be the first one to admit that I started following the Ducks because they got Hiller in 07.
But since he pretty much turned into an entitled clown over the years, I stayed with the Ducks once he got traded.

HA! I did the exact same thing except with Giguere. Must be a goalie thing.

Other than that I low key follow/root for teams with players I like, players I wish we'd drafted that we didn't etc. (Yes, I'm still holding an irrational grudge against Fowler because of Tarasenko) Makes it fun and interesting when watching teams other than your own when you've got something to watch except 'random hockey team that's not the one I cheer for'..

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I'm a big fan of Toronto as well as most of their players and many different players around the league. But no, Hyman should not be playing on a line with Matthews and Nylander anymore.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010

I started following the Wild because of Mikko Koivu. Now I'm a fan of the whole team. I started because of Koivu and will stay after he retires/is traded/whatever.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
There was a guy/gal around here who loved Jose Theodore. No loyalty to his team(s), just the man. Pretty sure it was sincere, though you wondered how someone could be that focused on one player unless they were related. At any rate, it was annoying.

As for people flocking to McDavid/Crosby/Matthews, etc. - I've never understood that. I guess people want to feel like winners, so they come to idolize guys with all the hype. Whatever floats their boat. Though I always wonder what they were doing team-wise before that player showed up on their radar, assuming they're older than, say, 10.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad