Fans that support a player once traded from their team.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Caps fan, maybe skewed since our team is falling off at the same time and I’m inclined to watch other games, but part of how I choose which games is what former Caps are there. I’m watching more Bruins games lately and devils all year for example (convenient they’re good)
Yeah I’d definitely be happy for both Orlov & Hathaway. Both play hard and were always team-first guys for Caps.

And even though i dislike the Canes and even though he never played for Caps, i’d also be happy for Brent Burns. Plays hard, does off-ice charity stuff for military veterans, and has that great toothless hockey smile which would look good under Stanley Cup.

I root for Makar too. So much fun to watch

Reactions: McD37

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Rangers fans love Zucc. I think a lot still love McDonagh too, though I didn’t find him nearly as endearing. I still loved Dubinsky after he was traded.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
If there's no bad blood with the fanbase and player, then I'd say they usually support the player. The bad blood thing though, that entirely changes what you're asking.

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
Of course. This is even more so the case when you talk about younger fans. They tend to idolize a player and are sometimes more loyal to him than to a team.

I remember when I was a teenager I changed allegiance depending on which team Paul Kariya was on. I had other friends who did the exact same thing with other superstars.

With that said, I know plenty of people now who still cheer for certain players they love even if they're not on their team anymore. Unless said player has done something terrible, why would you stop cheering for him even if he goes elsewhere? Did you only like the player because he was wearing your team's uniform?

Reactions: LeProspector

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Is it super rare? Raptors fans have certainly cheered on Demar and Lowry since their departure, including following them in the playoffs, as long as there hasn't been a conflict with their interests as a Raptor fan.

Makes sense too - as long as it doesn't impact your team (eg in the Karlsson example, it's not like he's going up against Chabot for the Norris, and if SJ was going on a Cup run at any point over the last few years, no conflict with Ottawa interests there), and as long as it was a legit well liked player who left on reasonable terms.

As a Leafs example, the fanbase just last year was pretty unanimously pumped to see what Kadri did in the playoffs.

Reactions: LeProspector

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
I was a fan of Nashville when AK/SK and later PK (and yem) got traded there.

I loved Carolina before but now love it even more with KK.

Loved the caps because of Ovi but when Lars left there I rooted for them. Same for the Avs.

Im a fan of hockey first.

Whos Larry
That opinion on kk is shared by a bery small percentage of your fanbase. Props.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
Boston with Ray Bourque comes to mind.

Spent almost his entire HOF career with the Bruins and left on good terms. So I feel many Bruins fans were happy to see him lift the cup.
"Ray Bourque" has always been the antidote for heckling in TD Garden while in Avs gear.

Reactions: FunkySeeFunkyDo

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Both MAF and Kessel from Pittsburgh. And after a handful of years of being bitter over the Detroit signing passed and he had been in Chicago for awhile a good deal of Pens fans came around to supporting Hossa.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
1679832240760.png

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
There was one guy on here who very publicly switched from being a Rangers fan to the Lightning when Callahan got traded. He didn't like it being brought up, so naturally it was brought up constantly.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I am a Ranger fan who will always like Mats Zuccarello. One of the best Rangers on some undertalented teams that finished just a little short of winning it all.

I liked Carl Hagelin too, but he played for teams I can't stand in Pitt and Washington. Tough to like him there.

I loved Brandon Prust as a Ranger, but that contract he got was twice what it should have been. Guy gave his all for the team and left alot of himself out on the ice. Mostly brain cells in hindsight.

Same with Colton Orr. If someone is willing to overpay a guy, you can't commit to their mistake for sentimental reasons.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Flyers fans on here at least still love Giroux and are beyond livid about the fact it ever got to the point that he was traded. There's even a pretty active Giroux watch thread ongoing on the team board.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Zucc gets a lot of love from NYR fans. Brassard to an extent as well.

Reactions: Greg02

Clode

Aug 2, 2012
Derry, NH
Bruins fans and Milan Lucic. No matter what team he plays for he will always be a Bruin in my eyes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad