Fans that support a player once traded from their team.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
I have noticed something crazy in Erik Karlsson threads this past 4 or so years. And that is Karlsson’s most vocal supporters are not just Sharks fans, but also Ottawa Senators fans.

I feel like this is a rare phenomenon that seldom happens in tram sports, but Hockey in paticular. I feel it is quite rare that fans of teams support even the best of their former players once they‘re playing for another franchise. Things change once players retire, Alfredsson was lambasted when he went to Detroit but after Retirement he is Daniel Alfredsson in Ottawa again for example.

I was wondering if there was any other examples of this where fans of a former player were still cheering on an active player even though said player no longer is employed by their franchise?

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
He wasn't traded but Chris Tanev still gets a lot of support from Canucks fans once he decided to sign with the rival Flames. It was Jim Benning's stupidity leaving him hanging until the last minute, once he realized he couldn't trade for OEL the year prior. Tanev should of been a mainstay as Hughes D partner and should of retired a Canuck.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
I will always cheer for Leafs that went on to have productive careers elsewhere. Especially if they are from the extra crappy years.
Oh right, I actually have proof of this being common.

1679787227243.jpeg

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Not sure why it is crazy, if the player departs on good terms, fans will continue cheering on that player as he leaves the team. Obviously like a Tavares or Gaudreau situation isn't going to have Calgary fans cheering him on.

For other sports, there is a very huge "NBA player" fanbase contingent. You see it a lot with LeBron, where they aren't really fans of a team, just fans of LeBron.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
I feel it is common for beloved player that do not do a Tavares, Halak had a Montreal cult, Subban/Koivu continued to be quite beloved, Clark with Leafs fans, Bure-Linden from Canucks, Smyth from Oilers fans, Iginla from Calgary.

If they move for no fault on their own or late to win a cup if their teams gave them mediocre support to win one

Mar 31, 2022
As a Leafs fan, I loved seeing Kessel win his cups. I hope Sandin does great in Washington. Was glad for Schenn getting a cup, too.

Some of us are just fans of hockey. It's not hard to be on board with your teams' former players if they're decent humans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad