Fans that support a player once traded from their team.

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
Former rangers players that i wanted to have success after leaving

Messier in Vancouver
Leetch in Toronto
Girardi in Tampa
Mcdonagh in Tampa
Brassard where ever he bounces around
Zuccarello in minny
Rozsival in chicago
Rick nash i hoped would be able to play and win somewhere but his brain was mush
Hagelin wherever he bounced around too

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Canucks fans usually support their ex stars and follow them with the exception of Kelser.

Even Bertuzzi and Bure people were rooting for.

That's... not really been my experience. Canucks fans are notoriously shitty to players after they're traded, with minor exceptions.

NYRfan85

D'oh!
Jun 2, 2020
South Carolina
As a Rangers fan, as far as current players go, it's definitely Zucc. The day he was traded to Dallas was a tough one for us. Glad to see him doing so well in Minnesota, and we'd welcome him back with open arms if he ever wanted to come back.

Messier when he went to Vancouver was another big one. Brian Leetch on the Leafs/Bruins was so weird, but another great example.

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
I have noticed something crazy in Erik Karlsson threads this past 4 or so years. And that is Karlsson’s most vocal supporters are not just Sharks fans, but also Ottawa Senators fans.

I feel like this is a rare phenomenon that seldom happens in tram sports, but Hockey in paticular. I feel it is quite rare that fans of teams support even the best of their former players once they‘re playing for another franchise. Things change once players retire, Alfredsson was lambasted when he went to Detroit but after Retirement he is Daniel Alfredsson in Ottawa again for example.

I was wondering if there was any other examples of this where fans of a former player were still cheering on an active player even though said player no longer is employed by their franchise?
Alfredsson wasn't lambasted. Everyone knew that Melnyk underpaid him and refused to give Alfie what he deserved so he left.

GreenLine

May 24, 2021
Unless the player forced their way out, particularly if they did so in such a way as to minimize the trade return, I don't see why you'd hate a player that was traded.

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
Hyman for me.

As a Leafs fan I won’t cheer for the Oilers over the Leafs but I am happy Hyman’s having a great season and hope the best for him.

I’d also be ok to see Edmonton go deep in the west.

I don’t hate on many teams and it’s easy not to hate on West conference teams or players since we never play them in the playoffs hahaha

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I kiss of deathed the Devils pretty hardcore by buying a Corey Crawford New Jersey shirt when he got signed by them as my first piece of other team merch.

Had he played for them for a year or two, I absolutely would’ve adopted the Devils as my permanent secondary team, or at least for a long while.

Last edited:

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Fans should do this for any player they were a fan of while wearing their jersey. Just Because Leetch was traded doesn't mean I would have booed him if he scored a goal against the Rangers. If Lundqvist ever dressed up for the Caps, I'd still chant HEN-RIK if he made a crazy save against the Rangers. Not supporting someone just because they were traded is petty to me.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I can't think of too many guys I actively rooted against after being traded away, but I didn't actively cheer for them either. I'm definitely more about the crest on the front than the name on the back.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
This.

Also different sport but Brady. A lot of Pats fans hated to see him go and cheered him on in TB. I know I did.
Count me in. I cheered for Brady/TB more than the Patriots after he left. It helped that they also got Gronk who had a bond with the fans here as well.

I remember when Bourque was traded. Everyone knew he gave everything he could to win a cup here. The Bruins were rebuilding and he knew his last chance would have to be elsewhere. Classy move by the Bruins trading him to a team that gave him the best chance to win, and everyone in Boston was an Avs fan that spring

Reactions: Bocephus86

NYRfan85

D'oh!
Jun 2, 2020
South Carolina
Fans should do this for any player they were a fan of while wearing their jersey. Just Because Leetch was traded doesn't mean I would have booed him if he scored a goal against the Rangers. If Lundqvist ever dressed up for the Caps, I'd still chant HEN-RIK if he made a crazy save against the Rangers. Not supporting someone just because they were traded is petty to me.
If Henrik actually was able to play for the Caps, the ovation he would have received on his first visit to MSG would have been incredible. It would have been very, very difficult to root for the Caps, but if it meant he'd get a Cup, I would have rooted for them.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
If Henrik actually was able to play for the Caps, the ovation he would have received on his first visit to MSG would have been incredible. It would have been very, very difficult to root for the Caps, but if it meant he'd get a Cup, I would have rooted for them.
I'm right there with you! Would have 100% supported him there.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Flyers fans care more about Giroux winning in Ottawa than the Flyers winning right now.

Avs2022

Jan 4, 2011
I had a huge smile on my face seeing Cogs lift the Cup last year.
There's a YouTube clip I saw, when the Pred's were about to eliminate the Ducks to reach the finals in 2017. Manson, Cogs, and Perry are dejected standing together during a stoppage in play and the camera is on them.

I saw this clip after the Av's won last year. Strange how things play out sometimes.

I always hoped Drury did well after he was traded away from the Av's. I miss Kadri also, wish him the best.

BiolaRunner

Jan 19, 2018
There's a YouTube clip I saw, when the Pred's were about to eliminate the Ducks to reach the finals in 2017. Manson, Cogs, and Perry are dejected standing together during a stoppage in play and the camera is on them.

I saw this clip after the Av's won last year. Strange how things play out sometimes.

I always hoped Drury did well after he was traded away from the Av's. I miss Kadri also, wish him the best.
Pretty much a picture of how all Ducks fans felt. We knew that was pretty much our last good shot at the Cup in our window.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Unless the player forced their way out, particularly if they did so in such a way as to minimize the trade return, I don't see why you'd hate a player that was traded.

Depends where they're traded to. Don't care how much I loved Simmonds when he was here, when he ended up on the Devils, F him. (Then back to wishing him well when he left there.)

Flyers fans care more about Giroux winning in Ottawa than the Flyers winning right now.

This, 100%. G's the best example in my lifetime, but Flyers fans do this with any of our core guys, really. Brind'Amour was my favorite player back in the day, so I was still super happy for him when he won a Cup, even though it meant that assbag Karmanos also won a Cup.

Reactions: Rebels57

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad