Injury Report: FanFest

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Welcome to the auto industry. Most vehicles are made to last until the end of the warranty period, then the major servicing begins.
Agreed, they don't make much margins on the sale of cars, well Tesla does because they have very little service, but most dealers make most of their money through service maintenance & extended warranties. They over sell & under deliver. The dealership model is slowly dying.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Agreed, they don't make much margins on the sale of cars, well Tesla does because they have very little service, but most dealers make most of their money through service maintenance & extended warranties. They over sell & under deliver. The dealership model is slowly dying.
And now they are trying to sell subscriptions to features in your car. In Europe you pay a monthly fee to activate your heated seats…..

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
And now they are trying to sell subscriptions to features in your car. In Europe you pay a monthly fee to activate your heated seats…..
I seem to recall reading that this was only being done in hot climate locations where the feature was not normally required, like UAE, and the rationale was it was cheaper to just make one model (of seat in this case) and put it in then all.
Might have been one specific vendor, I'm thinking BMW for some reason.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I seem to recall reading that this was only being done in hot climate locations where the feature was not normally required, like UAE, and the rationale was it was cheaper to just make one model (of seat in this case) and put it in then all.
Halfway right. It is BMW, but they've expanded beyond hot-weather markets:

BMW has slowly been putting features behind subscriptions since 2020, and heated seats subs are now available in BMW’s digital stores in countries including the UK, Germany, New Zealand, and South Africa. It doesn’t, however, seem to be an option in the US — yet.
Source.

Either way, it's pretty damn dystopian to build a feature and block its access unless you're paid on a regular basis. Late-stage capitalism at its worst.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Halfway right. It is BMW, but they've expanded beyond hot-weather markets:

Source.

Either way, it's pretty damn dystopian to build a feature and block its access unless you're paid on a regular basis. Late-stage capitalism at its worst.
Yeah, I'm definitely not a fan of the trend. I think Chevy does it in NA with things like remote start, which seems dumb to me given how easy it is to add that aftermarket.

Union2017

Welcome to Ottawa, Michael Andlauer.
Feb 23, 2018
Ottawa
FYI - messaged Ottawa Senators Facebook people and asked about those free tickets for Saturday preseason as promised at the Fan Fest. They replied that the emails are being sent out this morning. So, monitor your emails guys :)

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Apparently BMW has already rolled it out in parts of Europe, heated seats was the specific example used. It hasn’t been implemented in NA because the colonials simply won’t stand for it…. Yet…

I can just see us now, rolling BMWs off the pier in Boston…. ;)

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It's just getting worse & they keep piling on, the greed of capitalism never stops & they just keep finding new ways to expand it.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad