Fandom Status Update.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
We've done a thread like this before, but now that we're coming up to the expansion draft I figure it's time again.

Who is your team?

Are you a Golden Knights fan, are you a Golden Knights fan with some reservations, are you just going to follow for the excitement of the first expansion team in a generation?

Where do you stand?

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Ottawa fan from Washington State originally (screw the Canucks) but Vegas is now my 1B since I live here.

Been a fan since I was 12, so that's 15 years of loyalty that won't be easy to top, but since they are in different conferences I can have both teams equal.

It will take some time, but I see Vegas overtaking the Sens in the future at some point.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I think I lucked out a little with this Knights thing.

I was raised as a Blackhawks fan living in the Chicago suburbs. When the Bulls were winning and the Hawks organization sucked, there was no real loyalty there. Apparently everyone's parents didn't like what the Hawks were doing, and since we didn't control the TV, we were just kind of in a wasteland.

When the Hawks won the "worse franchise in America" award in the early 2000s it sucked, but most of my winter sports childhood was spent watching the Bulls. The Hawks were just whatever. When they hired the McDonough from the Cubs and the old man passed on, things changed and the underlying/bred fandom was allowed to come out, it became okay to like the Hawks. Then they started winning.

Either way, I don't have a childhood of watching the Blackhawks games with my old man. I don't think many people my age from Chicago do.

Since it's kind of a newly developed, deep fandom, it's a little easier to kind of pass on it.

Just don't say I'm a bandwagon Hawks fan. I love everything Chicago except the Sox. I just didn't have the awesome young kid fan development with the Hawks that I had with the Cubs, Bears, and Bulls. They gave me three cups, and I'm happy.

I hope the Knights get the cup too. :laugh:

When the Hawks are in town, I'll be wearing my Krueger or VanRiemsdyk Knights jersey.

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
The only time that I actively fell in love with another team was when I lived in Anaheim and the Ducks made that amazing run in 2003. My heart sank for Giguere.
I'm sure I will watch my share of the Knights.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I'm a Jets fan, but when our group's ticket draft comes up, my 1st overall pick will be the Vegas game. And while I always hope for a Jets win when I'm paying $300 to attend, I will be overjoyed if Vegas finishes with a better record than the Jets by season's end. Why? So it finally sinks in with ownership that our model of draft and develop and nothing else is horribly flawed, and that our coach is not capable of anything more than guiding teams to mediocrity. In short, time to blow it up real good! :laugh:

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Living out here while this expansion came about is a once in a lifetime deal for most of us. Being a NYer where the teams have been deeply rooted in the city seemingly forever, I've obviously never experienced anything like this.

The Rangers & the NY Giants are the only two sports teams I have a rooting interest in. I've lost my appetite for baseball & the NBA is embarrassing. With that said, I'm excited to get in on the ground floor & have a local team to pull for.

It would be just phenomenal if the atmosphere grows into what they have in Nashville. Clearly that takes time, & success on the ice is key, but TMobile seems like a building that's extremely conducive to that type of environment. Looking forward to it.

Curious, what free hat? & why is Detlef Shrempf an option?

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Free hat and Detlef are there to ensure the bad option doesn't win. You split the non-fans. I'm rigging polls here.

Plus, someone will recognize Detlef and then I'll talk music with that person.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Free hat and Detlef are there to ensure the bad option doesn't win. You split the non-fans. I'm rigging polls here.

Plus, someone will recognize Detlef and then I'll talk music with that person.

Had no idea that was the name of a song. I did know Pearl Jam was originally named Mookie Blaylock, but I digress...

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Ducks have been my team since childhood so they'll always be my team but Vegas is gonna be a very close second.

The way I'm considering it is Anaheim is my diehard team, Vegas is my hometown team. I'll have easier access to and probably watch the latter more (especially if we lose FSN Prime Ticket and West) but if Vegas plays Anaheim, I'm always rooting for the Ducks.

Getting a team here can't undo a lifetime of Fandom.

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
9k1klu.gif

I mean, come on.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I've lived in Vegas for thirty years. Born and raised. Grew up a Kings fan, but the Knights are definitely my squad now, as well. I was working in Sports Marketing for the Conventions Authority when they landed the NHL Awards. I've been waiting a long time for the Knights.

Nevertheless, I'll always love my childhood team. When the Knights play the Kings, that's house money to me. I won't mind who wins either way.

Really excited for the next few days. Hopefully, McPhee can get a star player right away.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I've lived in Vegas for thirty years. Born and raised. Grew up a Kings fan, but the Knights are definitely my squad now, as well. I was working in Sports Marketing for the Conventions Authority when they landed the NHL Awards. I've been waiting a long time for the Knights.

Nevertheless, I'll always love my childhood team. When the Knights play the Kings, that's house money to me. I won't mind who wins either way.

Really excited for the next few days. Hopefully, McPhee can get a star player right away.

If you consider MAF a star player then that seems pretty likely

PuckProphet

Apr 28, 2017
Yea No the excitement level of those who are interested is through the roof ...However its a way smaller slice of interest than i or anyone figured ....Never underestimate the loyalty to the tribe .... Insane to predict most NHL fans the Knights are an after thought a side headline

Telfo

THRASHERS(and Golden Knights too)
Oct 31, 2008
Atlanta, GA
They will be my one and only team. I have been teamless since the Thrashers moved and I am finally ready to love again

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
They will be my one and only team. I have been teamless since the Thrashers moved and I am finally ready to love again

Ah 5th overall pick to the Anaheim Ducks board in the dispersal draft: Teflo.

Kevin Forbes and I being traded to the Toronto board so our board to draft you wasn't enough to make you a Ducks fan I guess :p

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad