Fan Favorites

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
My two usual answers are Renberg and Podein. The former was the second best player on the LoD and I will die on that hill.

Since no one seems to be mentioning those early Lindros teams for the most part, I always had a soft spot for those supporting players -- Galley, Dineen, even Josef Beranek.

Marty Murray too because he was the closest thing they added to a skill player for a good while there. I just couldn't take anymore Radovan Somik/Kent Manderville types.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Derrick Smith
Doug Crossman
Ilkka Sinisalo
Lindsay Carson
Wes Walz
Dmitri Yushkevich

Almost any player from the Keenan-coached teams would qualify. Even players from the post-Cup teams would have been criticized occasionally if the internet existed in such impression as today; MacLeish (a personal favorite) and Leach come to mind since they went into sporadic funks.

The Keenan teams would have been nearly universally praised. Many of those guys played as if every game was a Game 7 every night. I'll add Dave Brown to your list since he was the ultimate enforcer. Since Derrick Smith was taken, I'll add Scott Mellanby even though he did better work in his post-Flyers' years.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Almost any player from the Keenan-coached teams would qualify. Even players from the post-Cup teams would have been criticized occasionally if the internet existed in such impression as today; MacLeish (a personal favorite) and Leach come to mind since they went into sporadic funks.

The Keenan teams would have been nearly universally praised. Many of those guys played as if every game was a Game 7 every night. I'll add Dave Brown to your list since he was the ultimate enforcer. Since Derrick Smith was taken, I'll add Scott Mellanby even though he did better work in his post-Flyers' years.

Oh yeah, I would have put Mellanby right under DS24, but I just assumed he and Zezel didn't necessarily qualify - it seems like they were more well-known league-wide or something. I am still angry about that trade, boss, both of those trades. Mellanby is considered a Panther. It's so gross. Should have been with us forever.

Reactions: Normand Lacombe

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
Podein for me for sure, just a hard working player seemed like he was the type to never complain and just put his head down and skate hard, Joel Otto, Shawn Antoski, Pat Fallon, Jonsey, brings back memories

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Podein for me for sure, just a hard working player seemed like he was the type to never complain and just put his head down and skate hard, Joel Otto, Shawn Antoski, Pat Fallon, Jonsey, brings back memories
Otto's a good one, even if his Calgary years are more memorable. Side note: my mom had quite the crush on Otto. :laugh:

Fat Balloon, though... blech.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
Otto's a good one, even if his Calgary years are more memorable. Side note: my mom had quite the crush on Otto. :laugh:

Fat Balloon, though... blech.
Fat Ballon!!!!!! Dude I just made beer come out of my nose I was laughing so hard, probably a lot harder than I should have laughed at that

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
PttRVCo.jpg

Reactions: Sawdalite

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
Oh yeah, I would have put Mellanby right under DS24, but I just assumed he and Zezel didn't necessarily qualify - it seems like they were more well-known league-wide or something. I am still angry about that trade, boss, both of those trades. Mellanby is considered a Panther. It's so gross. Should have been with us forever.

Another player who should have been a Flyer for the rest of his career was Mark Howe. Russ Farwell didn't even offer him a contract to stay. Terrible way to treat a classy player who was the best defenseman in Flyer history. Despite Howe's age and bad back, the Flyers had a winning record when he was in the lineup. Howe playing 40 games a year would have been better than the drek the Flyers sent out on the blueline until Desjardins arrived.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Sami Kapanen is an excellent choice. I got to meet him in 2007 and thank him for his efforts in 2004.

I really believe the Flyers win it all that year with a healthy roster. That is my favorite team of the past 20 years. Yes even more than the 2010 team.
That 04 team had guts and went down fighting till the bitter end.

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018
Danny Markov, smokin' butts.
Klatter had a twenty-goal season!

Any fans of Cookie Dvorak? He was just a bit before my time.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
My Dad used to take me to Phantoms games in the early 2000s and I remember really enjoying watching two defensemen play. Like we're very clearly my favorite player when watching them on the ice. John Slaney and Dennis Seidenberg.

I really enjoyed watching Vladimir Malakhov, Danny Markov, Alexei Zhamnov and Tony Amonte in the 03-04 run

Kim Johnsson and Joni Pitkanen were favorites while they were here for me.

I also remember really liking Niko Dimitrakos and Patrick Thoreson.

Finally idk if he qualifies because he's a hall of fame defensmen but I loved watching Derian Hatcher play when he first got here. Same for Jason Smith.

Oh and I'm forgetting about Rusty Fedotenko and RJ Umberger!

Last edited:

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
Danny Markov, smokin' butts.
Klatter had a twenty-goal season!

Any fans of Cookie Dvorak? He was just a bit before my time.

Mike Missanelli made a bet with a caller on WIP that if Klatt scored 20 goals that season, Missanelli would buy that caller's groceries for a year. Wonder if Missanelli kept his word?

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Kapanen
Knuble
Handzus
Upshall
Laperriere... before he was a coach :laugh:
Read... at least the first few years he was here.
Raffl
Laughton

We haven't had many non stars worth cheering for lately but I personally feel the last two fit the bill.

I really liked Niitty when I was a kid, too. And I'm still a fan of Neuvy, but I guess mostly because of his time in Hershey.

Reactions: Grebinator

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad