Pre-Game Talk: Falling stars cause broken wishes. April 20th

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
There's a chance the Oilers can clinch a playoff spot on Wednesday.

Edit: nevermind, I forgot about the Canucks. They're going to win tonight to stay alive.

But an Oilers win + Vegas regulation loss on Wednesday guarantees the Oilers finish ahead of the Knights.
Let's try this again. The Oilers can clinch on Wednesday if the following happens:

VAN regulation loss tomorrow
EDM regulation win on Wednesday
VGK regulation loss on Wednesday

Last edited:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Let's try this again. The Oilers can clinch on Wednesday if the following happens:

VAN regulation loss tomorrow
EDM regulation win on Wednesday
VGK regulation loss on Wednesday
Can Vancouver still catch us even if this happens?

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Can Vancouver still catch us even if this happens?
No. I'll expand with the tiebreakers.

First tiebreaker is Regulation Wins. Second is Regulation + OT Wins.

The scenario is VAN regulation loss tomorrow, EDM regulation win on Wednesday, and VGK regulation loss on Wednesday.

This would put the Oilers at 96 points with 36 RWs and 41 ROWs.

Vegas' maximum point total would be 95. They'd be irrelevant.

Vancouver's maximum point total would be 96, with a maximum of 36 RWs and 40 ROWs. The Oilers beat them on the second tiebreaker.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So the Oilers are floating along swimmingly and everything seems to have come together and all the parts and gears clicking and the motor humming along. So of course knowing all that I expect them to lose tonight somehow.

Dallas scouting report. Somehow same as Vegas, can't score. Somebody find Radulov, take a look in the wine cellar. Roope Hintz going, so is that kid they have Jason Robertson. How did the Stars find those hands with the 39th pick? Other than that and Pavelski Stars scoring is limited.

People that follow drafts more can fill in the details but man. Dallas in 2017 drafted Robertson, a 40 goal scorer, Heiskanen, a Norris level D, and Oettinger with early picks. We drafted Kailer Yamamoto with players like Robertson on the table. Robertson has as many goals this season than Yama has in his career and would be a perfect fit in our topsix. Never understood the Yama pick. I understand it less now years later.

edit Wednesday night.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duke74

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
So the Oilers are floating along swimmingly and everything seems to have come together and all the parts and gears clicking and the motor humming along. So of course knowing all that I expect them to lose tonight somehow.

Dallas scouting report. Somehow same as Vegas, can't score. Somebody find Radulov, take a look in the wine cellar. Roope Hintz going, so is that kid they have Jason Robertson. How did the Stars find those hands with the 39th pick? Other than that and Pavelski Stars scoring is limited.

People that follow drafts more can fill in the details but man. Dallas in 2017 drafted Robertson, a 40 goal scorer, Heiskanen, a Norris level D, and Oettinger with early picks. We drafted Kailer Yamamoto with players like Robertson on the table. Robertson has more goals this season than Yama has in his career and would be a perfect fit in our topsix.
Expect all you want, there’s a 0% chance the Oilers are losing tonight. I’m willing to put a $500 bet on that.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
If we are in Dallas then yes. At home we should have a slightly better chance of winning (but they still own us)
Since the McDavid draft, we're about .500 overall (7-8-2) vs. Dallas and 4-1-2 at home.

Tomorrow will be Dallas' 11th game in 19 days, so we could be seeing a tired squad, while Edmonton would be coming off a few days rest including 4 good nights rest in their own beds (except Kane).

It will be very important to show up at the start as a early Oiler lead could see Dallas pack it in early to try and get the game in Calgary the next night.

Last edited:

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Our history with Dallas is pretty sorry (going back to the ‘90s). But watching the Dallas-Canucks game last night, we should be able to take the 2 pts. Dallas seems to be dropping faster than a bride’s pyjamas. Love it!

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Our history with Dallas is pretty sorry (going back to the ‘90s). But watching the Dallas-Canucks game last night, we should be able to take the 2 pts. Dallas seems to be dropping faster than a bride’s pyjamas. Love it!

Dallas isn't a very good team.

They're buoyed by the OT, something that doesn't seem very sustainable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad