Pre-Game Talk: Fading Duck

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Thought the game was tonight. They must only play 72 games this year.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
According to Tony Brar these are the lines at Oilers practice:

RNH - McDavid - Hyman
Kane - Draisaitl - Perry
Holloway - McLeod - Foegele
Janmark - Ryan - Brown
Gagner

Nurse - Deharnais
Ekholm - Ceci
Kulak - Bouchard

Quite the shakeup on d.
Looks like Knob reads my posts.
Holloway-McLeod-Foegele sounds fantastic.
As does Nurse-VD

Dang Bouch had a rough game but 3rd pairing? Oof
Ceci and Ekholm were the 2 worst Dmen. Likely the third pairing if there is one

Reactions: RattsSSV

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Jesus those are worse not better. Desharnais on the first pairing is a recipe for disaster. What did Bouchard do to be on the bottom pairing?

The Ducks are one of the few teams you can experiment and be a bit of a mad scientist against, and not have it automatically bite you in the @$$. Plus I don't really see a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd pairing there, as they've got their 3 top guys spread out across each pairing.

Overall I don't hate some of the ideas:

-Can Bouchard still be productive away from the ultimate safety blanket that is Ekholm? (Plus Kulak isn't chopped liver, as the puck mostly went through him on the 3rd pairing to strong results.
- Vinny's strong play gets rewarded, and he gets to play with a rich man's version of Kulak.
- Ceci gets tossed onto a pairing that is without a doubt defence first, vs. 2-way. Likely a good fit for him. Though this is a spot we've already see Vinny in on the PK to strong results, now Vinny gets a shot at his old 5v5 spot.

I kind of get the feeling this is putting out of a feeler on Kulak and Vinny. Yes they've had outstanding results on the 3rd pairing, but how well can they handle increased responsibillity? And no, it won't be with the amazing insulating presence of Ekholm (who can make anyone look good), it's the more chaotic Nurse and Bouchard the'lly have to work with.

I think Vinny will struggle with expanded role (one where at least some offence is expected), as he'll run into the same ceiling as Ceci. He just doesn't have the offence to not limit the team when it's attacking in the offensive zone. He also goes from having Kulak, who always plays it safe; to Nurse, who's more all over the ice.

Imo of the 3 lower guys, Kulak's the only one who wouldn't be a major weak link playing in the top 4. If only because his passing and puck skills mean it's not a 4 on 5 in the offensively when he's on the ice. And his skating allows him to cover a lot more ice, even if he'd still be as "struggling, but still succeding to keep his head above water" as Ceci is defensively.

Also, putting your best play driving defenceman with your 3rd most used LHD (even if I like Kulak) isn't using Bouchard optimally. The only way I'd like the usage of that pairing is if your plan was to load up the top pairing with both Nurse and Ekholm. And that's dumb, as 40 to 50 minutes of either of them on the ice >>> 20 to 25 minutes of both of them on ice.

Last edited:

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Jesus those are worse not better. Desharnais on the first pairing is a recipe for disaster. What did Bouchard do to be on the bottom pairing? Still stacking the first line, which has struggled 5x5 for the past several games, while leaving Draisaitl with a rotating cast of leftovers. Line 2 will slow the game down to the pace of a melting glacier. One loss shouldn't merit that much blendering, IMO.
I think VD played very well the past 6 games or so. Ducks are a place to push him by giving him heavy minutes just to see how he copes if he has to push up from a 3rd pairing due to an injury.

I see this game as a bit of a test kitchen. 2nd line grouping is no different…HEAVY…can they keep up?

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I think VD played very well the past 6 games or so. Ducks are a place to push him by giving him heavy minutes just to see how he copes if he has to push up from a 3rd pairing due to an injury.

I see this game as a bit of a test kitchen. 2nd line grouping is no different…HEAVY…can they keep up?
I agree and it’s smart. Use these games against poor teams to try different lines and pairings, try some things out, see what kind of chemistry you can find and who can handle more minutes.

Always good to get this kind of information and have it in your back pocket.

Reactions: brentashton

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I just posted this in the PGT from last game.

Why on Earth is there not a game tonight. We're 5 behind most of the NHL and are going to have to make it back all at once.
Yeah I just assumed it was a Thursday and Saturday gig but it's a back to back.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I predict 25% less negative comments about Draisaitl occurring during this game in the GDT .
I mean, man, he hasn’t looked very good a lot of this season. Slow, indecisive, forcing passes etc. it’s like the game is moving too fast for him. lol. But hey, as long as he’s firing on all cylinders come the post season that’s all that matters. Assuming they get in.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Someone needs to put the chimpanzee that makes these schedules back in the zoo where it belongs. AI could make a better schedule ffs!

The chimp while making the schedule:

xUdQNAN.gif

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
According to Tony Brar these are the lines at Oilers practice:

RNH - McDavid - Hyman
Kane - Draisaitl - Perry
Holloway - McLeod - Foegele
Janmark - Ryan - Brown
Gagner

Nurse - Deharnais
Ekholm - Ceci
Kulak - Bouchard

Quite the shakeup on d.
They are seeing if Desharnais is a better fit than Ceci if so they plan on moving Ceci out

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I mean, man, he hasn’t looked very good a lot of this season. Slow, indecisive, forcing passes etc. it’s like the game is moving too fast for him. lol. But hey, as long as he’s firing on all cylinders come the post season that’s all that matters. Assuming they get in.
i think we've been spoiled. A 40G 100pt pace would seem pretty OK for a lot of fanbases. There were times with this one where we would thirst for a player like this. After McDrai are gone we won't have this nature of player again for a long while. Enjoy it while we can. I'm happy if theres more, but I don't need more.

Reactions: Duke74

EnufAlready

Dec 31, 2021
I dont care how many points he has. If he plays hard, doesn't cheat, isn't lazy, doesnt throw pucks away without care, then Im a fan of his and Im happy. Others are happy with 2 PPG, a -2, and 5 giveaways. To each his own

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad