FA/Trade Thread 2014-15 Season V.6

Status
Not open for further replies.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
The price difference between Yandle and OEL is probably "willing to move for a high price" vs "untouchable".

I doubt it's a small gap.

I get that but I would still rather pay that difference and get OEL. theoretically Yandle probably costs a top 6 forward + Pick + prospect(or low end roster player) while OEL probably costs a top line forward + bottom 4 Dmen + pick + prospect I would much rather pay the later for OEL then Yandle.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
You think that Jake Gardiner for Zach Bogosian is "fair" and something that Winnipeg would - and should - do?

Seriously?

Sure, they need LHD, we need RHD. It's makes sense for both teams.

Bogosian is an injury risk; he's missed at least 10 games in all but one season (he's already missed 10 this season also). Gardiner hasn't played as many seasons, but has remained healthy in most of them.

Really, it's up to do they want someone who can skate, move the puck and play the left side like they need, or is bigger, makes hits and maybe has a harder point shot but plays right-side like they already have a lot of. Gardiner for Bogosian, practically one-for-one, is more than fair. Though if people think Gardiner is a piece of crap who is worth nothing like he is on these boards, then yeah, it's not fair.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I don't know why the Oilers wouldn't want to at least try him and Schultz together.

I wonder if there's been any talk between Edmonton and Toronto about a straight swap Gardiner for Schultz giving both a change of scenery. as both are struggling right now, tho I would find it hard to believe that even tho Gardiner is playing poorly right now that the leafs brass would look at dealing Gardiner just after signing him to that contract in the summer, I would think they would give him more time then half a season

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
I'd like to see Kessel to Florida. And I think it's a pretty realistic option. Florida has been looking to start competing for a year or so now; and they've been looking for offense for a while as well.

Kessel

for

1st ('15)
Barkov
Cap dump (I don't know who Florida would want to ditch)

Leafs could run with a top nine of:
JVR - Kadri - Santorelli
Lupul - Barkov - Komarov
Clarkson - Holland - Panik

It isn't going to win a championship but it's a good start. Ideally you would eventually have Barkov as your #1 and Lupul or Komarov replaced by a younger more skilled forward. Potentially something like Lupul/Komarov - Barkov - Nylander.

Going forward I don't necessarily want a distinct, purely offensive #1 line. I'd prefer two lines that can score and play defense.

Please trade Kessel, Dave.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I'd like to see Kessel to Florida. And I think it's a pretty realistic option. Florida has been looking to start competing for a year or so now; and they've been looking for offense for a while as well.

Kessel

for

1st ('15)
Barkov

JVR - Kadri - Santorelli
Lupul - Barkov - Komarov

It isn't going to win a championship but it's a good start. Ideally you would eventually have Barkov as your #1 and Lupul or Komarov replaced by a younger more skilled forward. Potentially something like Lupul/Komarov - Barkov - Nylander.

Going forward I don't necessarily want a distinct, purely offensive #1 line. I'd prefer two lines that can score and play defense.

I think they'll wait until the offseason to offload guys like Bozak, Kessel and Phaneuf. Maybe we'll see some larger 2nd tier contract guys like Gardiner or Lupul get traded before the deadline, and UFA's such as Winnik, Booth, Franson, Holzer and maybe Santorelli at the deadline. Otherwise, don't expect much. Largest deal you may see is Gardiner + for ROR or a Richards deal or something along the lines that may help us now and in the future.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
im not sure I would trade phil kessel for Sidney Crosby at this point in crosbys career. Im just thinking that Crosby is one hit away from his career being over.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Roy for Arcobello?

Why would the Oilers do that?

Apparently they wanted to keep a roster spot, they wanted salary retention and not want to pay the waiver fee or something like that. Why they traded Arcobello? I'm not sure... Maybe they felt sorry for him or they were going to waive him and not want to risk losing him for nothing? Derek Roy is probably happy that he at least gets to stay in the NHL.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Kyper was just pretty adamant. Leafs are trying to move some "big long term contracts"

Chuck where you at!?

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin

Kessel

for

1st ('15)
Barkov

JVR - Kadri - Santorelli
Lupul - Barkov - Komarov

I'd rather get Bjugstad.

SubPar

May 2, 2007
At some point, the organization and it's fans have to realize that the team is what it is. It's shown to be a high risk, high reward group that can beat the best team in the league one night and get blown out by the worst the next. This core, albeit entertaining, isn't close to being good enough to win a championship, it's just good enough to make the playoffs and remain in no man's land at the draft. There's a body of work that shows us this so why be shocked or upset when their history repeats itself?

Someone from the core, Kessel, Phaneuf, Van R, Lupul, Gardiner,will have to go. But outside of Kessel, I don't see much of a return coming back.

Build around Reilly and Bernier, everything else can go.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Kyper was just pretty adamant. Leafs are trying to move some "big long term contracts"

Chuck where you at!?

lupul, Clarkson, Gardiner

Unfortunately we can't expect to get much in return.

Kessel should be moved, he belongs on a team like Boston, or L.A or possibly St.Louis. Teams with strong defensive players, leadership, and work ethics, but struggle offensively at times.

He absolutely does not belong on a rebuilding team, that needs their best players to set the bar in terms of work ethic.

This story has repeated itself for the past 3-4 years with Kessel and his offensive line mates... dominate early in the year, when points aren't being fought over. Once teams buckle down, and are playing for the playoffs, he all but disappears and is chasing the puck, not engaging in battles...

Cannot wait until we move on and begin a real rebuild.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener

Kessel should be moved, he belongs on a team like Boston, or L.A or possibly St.Louis. Teams with strong defensive players, leadership, and work ethics, but struggle offensively at times.

He absolutely does not belong on a rebuilding team, that needs their best players to set the bar in terms of work ethic.

This story has repeated itself for the past 3-4 years with Kessel and his offensive line mates... dominate early in the year, when points aren't being fought over. Once teams buckle down, and are playing for the playoffs, he all but disappears and is chasing the puck, not engaging in battles...

Wonder if shanny has that type off deal in. him

All the stats must be telling dubas what to do but as soon as they move kessel this is their team

Iff it continues to struggle it's now on them. Keeping Carlyle, nonis, kessel, phanuef around its still Burke and they stay unaccountable

Shanny would have to be real confident in knowing what he has and needs. And what. He can do to pull that offf

They should have donne it last draft but sadly I think we have at least one more season of this before it happens

CerebralDevil

Jul 14, 2011

add Phaneuf to that and that's were majority of the mistakes happen

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Lupul and Gardiner can get something decent... Clarkson won't be moved unless we somehow swing him for Richards, which isn't really any sort of upgrade other than him having a lot more prior success and him being a center.

I have the utmost confidence in management to make some solid deals that will either help us now and in the future, or more so focused towards the future. If we get Yandle or some overpriced veteran or UFA or whatever though... I may cry a little.

That being said, I wanted rebuild for a while, and any sort of proposal I have made/vouched for on this board has been towards find a reasonable, fair-valued way to achieve that.

Last edited:

one77

Dec 22, 2013
We gotta trade at least 2-3 players of this core.

Kessel for Seth Jones + 1st 2015 +
Phaneuf for ROR
Bozak + Lupul for E. Kane

Go into next year with:

JVR - Nylander - ROR
Kane - Kadri - Santorelli
Komarov - Holland - Clarkson
Panik - Gauthier - Winnik
-Broll/Brown/Leivo/Johnson

Rielly - Jones
Gardiner - Polak
Percy - Robidas