FA/Trade Thread 14-15 Season V.25 | Post trade deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueForever

Sep 23, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
So how much more do we squeeze out of them then? Because Detroit is cautious and probably will move on quicker than say an Edmonton or Dallas whom may be more desperate for someone of Phaneuf's talent.

There will be much more to squeeze. Such as not taking a Weiss back and eating some of Phaneufs contract. To get a deal done at deadline with less cap space to work with more number crunching needed. In the off season Detroit gets one or the other but not both, and Toronto probably gets a better prospect. One of Larkin or Mantha.

Leafs were smart believe me.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
I think we a reading the value of the DET offer wrong.

Apparently the Leafs really like Brendan Smith, so he was a big part of that deal.

Pulkkinen is a top prospect that tore up the AHL. Red Wings love the kid, and they wouldn't just hand him over.

Leafs obviously turned it down, but mainly because they wanted to try and pull Mantha out of them, which they weren't willing to do.

Personally, I hope we can pull Larkin out of them. I think he's easily a better prospect than Anthony Mantha.

I sincerely doubt he's been apart of any conversation, they value him like we value Nylander.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
There will be much more to squeeze. Such as not taking a Weiss back and eating some of Phaneufs contract. To get a deal done at deadline with less cap space to work with more number crunching needed. In the off season Detroit gets one or the other but not both, and Toronto probably gets a better prospect. One of Larkin or Mantha.

Leafs were smart believe me.

I'm pretty sure we weren't retaining anything there. And I know they were smart, I just wanted to what you think they could squeeze. That would be excellent.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Detroit offered what they did at the deadline. Limited cap space and tight timelines. As they are learning Phaneuf would have made a difference against Tampa Bay regardless of what anyone has to say.

Come off season, more cap room, more weaknesses exposed during playoffs the offers will be better then Detroits bank it.

Dion thrives against Crosby and Stamkos. Dion is a great D, maybe not elite but surly top notch.

hfdshdh

Unregistered Abuser
Jan 11, 2015
Dion thrives against Crosby and Stamkos.
You mean those guys who score on us almost every single time we play them? :P

He's not 'useless' like some people say, but he's obviously a depreciating asset that we need to sell off ASAP.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
I think Leafs/Oilers can make good trading partners.

Players Edmonton might have interest in:

Bernier
JVR
Phaneuf

Pieces from Edmonton that interest me:

Pitts 2015 1st
2015 2nds
2016 picks
Draisaitl

I wonder if there's some combination out there that makes sense for both teams.

Last edited:

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I think we a reading the value of the DET offer wrong.

Apparently the Leafs really like Brendan Smith, so he was a big part of that deal.

Pulkkinen is a top prospect that tore up the AHL. Red Wings love the kid, and they wouldn't just hand him over.

Leafs obviously turned it down, but mainly because they wanted to try and pull Mantha out of them, which they weren't willing to do.

Personally, I hope we can pull Larkin out of them. I think he's easily a better prospect than Anthony Mantha.

Really? That's interesting, and does shift my perspective somewhat. I always saw Weiss as a guy that would be serviceable and potentially even earn his contract and Pulkinnen as a good prospect but never thought much of Smith. If the Leafs acually like him as more of a throw in that does alter the value of the deal considerably.

What's your source on that? (not challinging it, just curious to read it)

Weiss+Smith+Jurco+ Sproul and I'm a very happy man, happier still when Bozak is pawned off and Weiss replaces his "production".

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Really? That's interesting, and does shift my perspective somewhat. I always saw Weiss as a guy that would be serviceable and potentially even earn his contract and Pulkinnen as a good prospect but never thought much of Smith. If the Leafs acually like him as more of a throw in that does alter the value of the deal considerably.

Weiss+Smith+Jurco+ Sproul and I'm a very happy man, happier still when Bozak is pawned off and Weiss replaces his "production".

Bozak as a 2nd line Center is awesome, Bozak as a top liner is not ...problem is, Kadri is also not become a top line Center either ...so, we have 2 number 2's, except one wins more faceoffs, and also PK's

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
You mean those guys who score on us almost every single time we play them? :P

He's not 'useless' like some people say, but he's obviously a depreciating asset that we need to sell off ASAP.

Between 2007 and 2014. Crosby has scored 2 and assisted 2 vs Dion. Has had 14 shots on net. GF60 2.11 which is pretty damn good.

Add.

Dion is in the top 15 defenders TOI vs Crosby. Dion has the lowest GF60 vs him and its not even close. Better than Chara and everyone.

Last edited:

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Bozak as a 2nd line Center is awesome, Bozak as a top liner is not ...problem is, Kadri is also not become a top line Center either ...so, we have 2 number 2's, except one wins more faceoffs, and also PK's

If Kessel and Phaneuf are both gone, Weiss is coming back, and it's going to be rebuilding year I'd much rather run with Kadri-Holland-Weiss + some sort of return on Bozak than Kadri-Bozak-Holland.

We have 2 number 2's, except one produces as a number 2 playing with depth wingers and actually is a net contributor even strength, and one produces at a second line level while on the first line, a line that was the worst net even strength line in the league this year.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Boot Bozak out to a team looking for depth next season. I'd love to get a second round pick this draft.

I don't mind taking back cap dumps as part of a Dion trade, but I really don't want them to have contracts that are longer than two years.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

It was from Ken Campbell at THN originally, but Dreger mentioned that the Leafs wanted Smith when he put out the proposed deal from DET.

Leafs wanted Smith and would take Weiss as long as no retained $$ on Phaneuf

Leafs also wanted major piece in return. (Leafs wanted Mantha, DET offered Pulks.)

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Between 2007 and 2014. Crosby has scored 2 and assisted 2 vs Dion. Has had 14 shots on net. GF60 2.11 which is pretty damn good.

Add.

Dion is in the top 15 defenders TOI vs Crosby. Dion has the lowest GF60 vs him and its not even close. Better than Chara and everyone.

Yup. Dion is able to shutdown the best.

Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Ovechkin, etc all end up scoring against us when they manage to get away from Phaneuf.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Yup. Dion is able to shutdown the best.

Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Ovechkin, etc all end up scoring against us when they manage to get away from Phaneuf.

I laugh when people call Dion useless.

he's not a #1 guy at all, but he's never had a #1 partner either. I swear half the opinions on him are "lol he's useless sell him for whatever".

this guy is clearly a top pairing #2 guy, #3 on an amazing team(i.e St. louis, Chicago, NYR) and could easily step up to the top pairing in case of injury.

7m is market value, but obviously his play hasnt been amazing of late so it starts to look like an overpayment. I have no problem retained 1m for 6 years, we wont be a contending cap team until 4-5 years from now and by then the cap should be much higher anyway and most top d-men will be on 10m contracts.

we should be getting a mid-first plus great prospect for this guy.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

he's not a #1 guy at all, but he's never had a #1 partner either. I swear half the opinions on him are "lol he's useless sell him for whatever".

this guy is clearly a top pairing #2 guy, #3 on an amazing team(i.e St. louis, Chicago, NYR) and could easily step up to the top pairing in case of injury.

7m is market value, but obviously his play hasnt been amazing of late so it starts to look like an overpayment. I have no problem retained 1m for 6 years, we wont be a contending cap team until 4-5 years from now and by then the cap should be much higher anyway and most top d-men will be on 10m contracts.

And people laugh at me when I ask for Draisaitl and a mid-first... I'm also taking on TWO cap dumps and giving them Reimer and a prospect as a kicker. That's a GOOD kicker. All I can do is :shakehead

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

He's a 1D just not elite. If he had a D partner that is even close to as good as him he would look even better than he does now.

We should be rewarded handsomely for Dion. If anyone argues this, proof Dion was sought after by Detroit. If the Detroit Red Wings are a stupid team then I don't even know what I am.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
And people laugh at me when I ask for Draisaitl and a mid-first... I'm also taking on TWO cap dumps and giving them Reimer and a prospect as a kicker. That's a GOOD kicker. All I can do is :shakehead

I am with you on that. I'd want Darisaitl as well. Considering he is a top 3 pick though I doubt we get much in addition but he is not worth scrap that's for sure.

If we get this deal or one similar done they should also look at Franson as an option.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
I am with you on that. I'd want Darisaitl as well. Considering he is a top 3 pick though I doubt we get much in addition but he is not worth scrap that's for sure.

If we get this deal or one similar done they should also look at Franson as an option.

since they are getting mcdavid 100% we should be requestion draisaitl, why have a guy like that at #3 C, same problem with Jordan staal, he's inevitably going to leave.

but edmonton's mangement is horrendous, I honestly think they wont do anything to their defence and goaltending and will think everything is fine and wonder why they didn't make a trade to improve.

You need veteran/prime players to improve, not a bunch of kids, no bottom 6 depth, no top pairing defender and a backup G.

Dion is the only top pairing guy available for trade this summer, as of now, and should commend a very solid return. Draisaitl and their 2nd + cap dump, and we can retain 1m if necessary.

AlbertaLeafFan31

Feb 5, 2013
I would try and trade jvr to the ducks for ritchie Theodore and their first. Then kessel to devils for their first second floridas second and ruutu. Then dion and Reimer to oilers for nikitin Purcell marincin and Pitts first

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
I would try and trade jvr to the ducks for ritchie Theodore and their first. Then kessel to devils for their first second floridas second and ruutu. Then dion and Reimer to oilers for nikitin Purcell marincin and Pitts first

not happening. maybe ritchie or theodore straight up. but not all three for JVR.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
since they are getting mcdavid 100% we should be requestion draisaitl, why have a guy like that at #3 C, same problem with Jordan staal, he's inevitably going to leave.

but edmonton's mangement is horrendous, I honestly think they wont do anything to their defence and goaltending and will think everything is fine and wonder why they didn't make a trade to improve.

You need veteran/prime players to improve, not a bunch of kids, no bottom 6 depth, no top pairing defender and a backup G.

Dion is the only top pairing guy available for trade this summer, as of now, and should commend a very solid return. Draisaitl and their 2nd + cap dump, and we can retain 1m if necessary.

Well that's essentially what I was asking for. I'll just lay it out for you.

Yours:

:leafs
Leon Draisaitl
EDM 2nd round pick (33rd overall?)
Nikita Nikitin (cap dump)

:edmonton
Dion Phaneuf (with maybe 1 mill retained, but that shouldn't really be necessary)

Mine:

:leafs
Leon Drasaitl
PIT 1st round pick (let's say 16th overall)
Nikita Nikitin (cap dump)
Teddy Purcell (cap dump)

:edmonton
Dion Phaneuf
James Reimer
Greg McKegg (or another prospect)

So from yours to mine, we move up 17 spots, but give them Reimer and McKegg (which is ample overpayment as it is for 17 or 18 spots max), plus take on another bad cap dump for them.

Oh, and in my deal, they get a major upgrade in net (but should still get another one) and bottom 6 depth on top of a top pairing defenseman, so they get many needs in one.

But of course, Edmonton would rather pay that PIT 1st and their 2nd for Justin Braun, whom is a 2nd pairing defenseman...

Last edited:

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
I like that second one the most, Reimer is a non-essential piece to us and is an improvement on scrivens for sure who is hot garbage. Then you solidify their d-core with someone a little better. They may actually challenge for a wild-card spot with those two added.

very fair deal, 15-24 first+Draisaitl for a 1b goalie and #2 d-man.

It's going to be impossible for Draisaitl to improve his value too much as he's stuck behind mcdavid and RNH.

hfdshdh

Unregistered Abuser
Jan 11, 2015
I'm pretty sure Edmonton can come up with about 75 better ways to acquire a top four d-man than trading Draisaitl for Phaneuf.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I like that second one the most, Reimer is a non-essential piece to us and is an improvement on scrivens for sure who is hot garbage. Then you solidify their d-core with someone a little better. They may actually challenge for a wild-card spot with those two added.

very fair deal, 15-24 first+Draisaitl for a 1b goalie and #2 d-man.

It's going to be impossible for Draisaitl to improve his value too much as he's stuck behind mcdavid and RNH.

And if they were smart, they'd take advantage of Chicago and their cap situation to get Corey Crawford. Ship them Scrivens and maybe Marincin for Crawford, and run with a tandem of Crawford and Reimer. Chicago would have a young, inexperienced goalie tandem of Raanta and Darling, but with Scrivens around (and only costing them 1.375 in the minors), they'll either show up or shut up. Besides, their defense will make most goalies look good.

Beyond that, go to FA for some new bottom 6ers. And on defense, well they'll just have to count on Klefbom or Nurse being able to step up I guess and take the other spot. I mean, they'll have Phaneuf on the top pairing, Ference, Fayne and Schultz in the bottom 4. Klefbom could probably handle at least 2nd pairing, and then Nurse playing with Phaneuf should hopefully be a good enough first pairing to get them into contention.

I mean, that situation would work out so well for every team involved. Chicago gets a good prospect and maybe some more while shedding cap. Edmonton gets a brand new and playoff worthy goalie tandem for the first time in years, and also have a top pairing defenseman.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I'm pretty sure Edmonton can come up with about 75 better ways to acquire a top four d-man than trading Draisaitl for Phaneuf.

They need a top pairing defenseman. And even then, there aren't many available. San Jose has Burns and Braun, but they either are a lot more expensive, or not top pairing defensemen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad