FA/Trade Thread 14-15 Season V.19 - Bernier extension coming soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
My reasonable and ideal deadline (Yes I undervalue deals on the main board so people don't say LOL LEAF FANS)

Pittsburgh
Lupul
for
Bertuzzo (Dump)
Spaling (Dump)
2nd round pick

Winnipeg
Winnik
for
2nd round pick

Any top 10 team
Booth
for
7th round pick

Jokinen
for
7th round pick

Holzer
for
7th round pick

Nashville
Bozak
for
3rd + 4th

or

Bozak
Winnik (Instead of other)
early 4th
for
Stalberg (dump) 2 year left after this one
Jarnkok

I don't really like any of them. I think we can do better.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I would actually think about re-signing Holzer and keeping him in general. Why develop a guy for 9 years just to take a pick back when he's about to hit free agency?

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
My reasonable and ideal deadline (Yes I undervalue deals on the main board so people don't say LOL LEAF FANS)

Pittsburgh
Lupul
for
Bertuzzo (Dump)
Spaling (Dump)
2nd round pick

Winnipeg
Winnik
for
2nd round pick

Any top 10 team
Booth
for
7th round pick

Jokinen
for
7th round pick

Holzer
for
7th round pick

Nashville
Bozak
for
3rd + 4th

or

Bozak
early 4th
for
Jarnkok

Every single one is reasonable and if we could get 2 2nds, a 3rd, 4th, and 3 7ths for guys this organization has absolutely no use for then it would be prudent to pull the trigger on every single such deal. I have no faith the Maple Leafs will be prudent in their managing though.

If you told me Toronto got a 1st, 2 2nds, a 3rd, 4th, and 3 7ths, and still had Kessel and Phaneuf for the summer I would be ecstatic.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010

Pittsburgh
Lupul
for
Bertuzzo (Dump)
Spaling (Dump)
2nd round pick

Winnipeg
Winnik
for
2nd round pick

Any top 10 team
Booth
for
7th round pick

Jokinen
for
7th round pick

Holzer
for
7th round pick

Nashville
Bozak
for
3rd + 4th

or

Bozak
early 4th
for
Jarnkok

None of these are of SeaOfBlue quality. For shame.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Every single one is reasonable and if we could get 2 2nds, a 3rd, 4th, and 3 7ths for guys this organization has absolutely no use for then it would be prudent to pull the trigger on every single such deal. I have no faith the Maple Leafs will be prudent in their managing though.

If you told me Toronto got a 1st, 2 2nds, a 3rd, 4th, and 3 7ths, and still had Kessel and Phaneuf for the summer I would be ecstatic.

I agree. I like the idea of giving Hunter and Bergman 13 draft picks to work with. I hope Bergman is more involved going forward, at least more than late round long shots (Nylander aside).

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I agree. I like the idea of giving Hunter and Bergman 13 draft picks to work with. I hope Bergman is more involved going forward, at least more than late round long shots (Nylander aside).

he's every bit involved in making every pick how do you think they decide who there going to pick?

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
he's every bit involved in making every pick how do you think they decide who there going to pick?

Bergman doesn't scout North American prospects. Why would they ask his opinion about players outside of Europe? That's why the have CHL/NCAA/USHL/HS scouts.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Bergman has a really good track record converting on late round picks.

I agree that he should have some input given the # of picks we'll have this year (at least two and probably three 1sts or 2 1sts and a 2nd that we acquire at the deadline)

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Bergman doesn't scout North American prospects. Why would they ask his opinion about players outside of Europe? That's why the have CHL/NCAA/USHL/HS scouts.

Bergman actually does some scouting in North America.

Not a whole lot, but he does come over. I believe some of our NA scouts go over to Europe as well.

I think it was Bergman who said it himself in one of the "Behind the draft" stuff

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON

Pittsburgh
Lupul
for
Bertuzzo (Dump)
Spaling (Dump)
2nd round pick

Winnipeg
Winnik
for
2nd round pick

Any top 10 team
Booth
for
7th round pick

Jokinen
for
7th round pick

Holzer
for
7th round pick

Nashville
Bozak
for
3rd + 4th

or

Bozak
early 4th
for
Jarnkok

I think these are actually a good evaluation of what they could get from some teams.

I'm in the very small minority that want to keep Lupul. If he's the only one that has to get moved, based on the contract, fine whatever. But if they are able to clear out a lot of salary, then I'd be willing to keep him.

Jokinen is likely the only one to get moved for a late pick. Booth simply hasn't done enough and I don't think any team will trade for him.

I like the idea of keeping Holzer around. From what I've seen from Granberg, he's still very raw and prone to making rookie mistakes. I think Holzer is a nice bridge player that we can bide our time on instead of overpaying for some veteran (*cough*Robidas*cough*) that can do the same thing and without rushing of the prospects up to expose them to early.

I doubt the Preds make that move. I think they're pretty happy with their current forwards and don't know if adding Bozak's contract is a good idea for them. I think that Bozak will likely go to a team that is clawing for a playoff spot. Any of the teams from 5-10 in the West could have a legit shot at taking Bozak. That includes Vancouver, Winnipeg, LA, Calgary, San Jose, & Minnesota. LA is in cap hell and would be the only team that I would exclude from that list.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I would actually think about re-signing Holzer and keeping him in general. Why develop a guy for 9 years just to take a pick back when he's about to hit free agency?

I'm happy with him as a 7th D man signed very cheap (less than 1.5)

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
Hm. I think they sound pretty reasonable for the most part other than Bozak, think we'd get more than a 3rd and 4th.

Every single one is reasonable and if we could get 2 2nds, a 3rd, 4th, and 3 7ths for guys this organization has absolutely no use for then it would be prudent to pull the trigger on every single such deal.

None of these are of SeaOfBlue quality. For shame.

I think these are actually a good evaluation of what they could get from some teams.

Wow, surprised someone actually read one of my posts in here :P. Thanks guys :)

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Bergman actually does some scouting in North America.

Not a whole lot, but he does come over. I believe some of our NA scouts go over to Europe as well.

I think it was Bergman who said it himself in one of the "Behind the draft" stuff

Yeah I do recall that actually. Although he's probably more of a "tiebreaker" if the North American scouts can't decide on a couple of players.

If Bergman was given a larger leash during the Burke era I don't think we would have been so CHL/NCAA heavy these years. I also think the prospect pool would be a lot more talented without the Biggs, Devane, Blacker, Ross, Carrick, Broll type picks. I know Burke wanted to get the prospect pool tougher, but he likely passed on a lot of good skilled Euro players in the process.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
Man I will miss Lupes if traded. But it is for the best really. I am hoping we can get a late conditional first for next year or a 2nd/3rd and a cap dump...seems reasonable.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Yeah I do recall that actually. Although he's probably more of a "tiebreaker" if the North American scouts can't decide on a couple of players.

If Bergman was given a larger leash during the Burke era I don't think we would have been so CHL/NCAA heavy these years. I also think the prospect pool would be a lot more talented without the Biggs, Devane, Blacker, Ross, Carrick, Broll type picks. I know Burke wanted to get the prospect pool tougher, but he likely passed on a lot of good skilled Euro players in the process.

I actually didn't mind going NCAA heavy last draft.

We have a lot of crap in our system that we need to skim our (Ross, Devane, Biggs, etc) and then players like Orr and McLaren taking up spots. NCAA players have 4 seasons before we need to sign them instead of 3.

So it gives us some extra time to really clean out the fridge a bit.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I actually didn't mind going NCAA heavy last draft.

We have a lot of crap in our system that we need to skim our (Ross, Devane, Biggs, etc) and then players like Orr and McLaren taking up spots. NCAA players have 4 seasons before we need to sign them instead of 3.

So it gives us some extra time to really clean out the fridge a bit.

Devane and Biggs aren't "crap" in the sense Ross, McLaren and Orr are. Devane may challenge for a spot on the 4th line, and Biggs still has another 2 or 3 years before we give up on him, and even if he doesn't get better, he's still able to fight for a 4th line spot in the future. Ross would have too if not for the PED's.

Now it's not great, but it's hardly crap if they become effective 4th liners who are able to play 8-12 tough minutes a night and play a shutdown role. Neither are black holes offensively given the shot either. I think they can become good 4th liners, which isn't great, especially for their draft positions, but it's not "crap".

But I agree, taking those NCAA players and keeping them there was a good move, especially since we probably won't have many spots open in the Marlies after we acquire some good prospects. Though we may purge some of our old prospects too (like Devane and Biggs), so it's really unknown.

Does new regime mean everyone, including prospects from the old regime, are on the hot seat?

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto

It sounds like Hunter's pretty much taken over from Morrison (or, at least, "collaborating" with Dave), but I'd love to have Bergman as the Director of Scouting. He's almost 70 though, so I'm not sure if he'd be willing to travel a whole lot more as the Leafs' chief scout

HeroNtF

Jul 9, 2012
walker reporting theyre shopping lupes, and its in the "plans" to move him before deadline.. liked the guy, but cant stay healthy, should be interesting to see whos actually interested and if someone does pick him up.

my stab in the dark - calgary due to burke ties and it gets them a top6 scorer whos caps off the books when they need to pay their up and comers. but theyre looking to move glencross, and that doesnt work with a rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad