FA/Trade Thread 14-15 Season V.19 - Bernier extension coming soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Last edited by a moderator:

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I posted that would without blinking an eye offer:

#1 pick plus Nylander plus Rielly plus any other player they want in our entire organization.

If they want Nylander and Rielly then hell no. Mo is already developing into something good. Nylander is one of the best prospects in the world, the same can be said for whoever we draft with our high pick.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
If the Leafs are taking back Stoner, I'd hold out for Ritchie instead of Theodore and try to somehow finagle Etem in any deal.

Leafs gotta try to snake out potential top-6 pieces on contending teams who just aren't getting opportunities.

For sure on Etem, not sure if I agree on Theodore vs. Ritchie

RLF

May 5, 2014
Oleksiak is much bigger than Peters, and has a higher ceiling imo. I think Oleksiak could be a top 4 Dman, while Peters tops out on bottom pairing. I think having that size on the top 4 would be intimidating. Flatten guys and have a really long reach, a Chara-lite. Obv, this is best-case scenerio but I think the chance is better than having Brett Ritche and Alex Peters

Oleksiak is bigger for sure, but it's 6'7"-6'4"...does it really matter that much when they are both this big? Plus Oleksiak is not known as being a very physical guy for his size, so I am not sure how intimidating he will be. Peters is more physical. I like Oleksiak, but I doubt they give both Ritchie and Oleksiak atm. I also think Peters has 2nd pair potential, especially when paired with an offensive d-man.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
hopefully this is one of those polls that dubas was referencing

ive said it before, this team really has two pieces moving forward, Rielly and Nylander

so even if you give up those pieces to get McDavid they really aren't setting themselves back that far

Uh you kinda are? Instead of having 3 building blocks moving forward, you have one slightly shinier block.

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I understand the hype around Theodore but I think it mostly stems from his WJC performance, which is unfair to Ritchie.

I have trouble projecting defenceman who do well at the WJC. If you look at previous rosters of Canada, usually only the top-pairing dman ever really reach their potential. The others never really develop after junior, which leads me to believe that maybe most defenceman at the WJC peak early? It's an odd assumption but I'm just wary of projecting further growth of defenceman who raise their stock at the the WJC.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
So looking forward past the draft, if this is indeed a tear down rebuild with Kessel/phaneuf/lupul/bozak gone, who do you guys see the Leafs signing as temporary placeholders?

I'd look for a few more signings like Raymond/Santorelli/Winnik that we can flip at the deadline. Maybe Jagr if he's still capable? We can sign them to 1.5-2x what they're worth on a one year deal to reach the floor and retain 50% when we move them to contenders. Pretty safe way to replenish a couple 2nds and 3rds, we're overdue for a Subban/Bergeron level pick in that range. That or at least a top goalie prospect.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
Uh you kinda are? Instead of having 3 building blocks moving forward, you have one slightly shinier block.

Would you trade Kessel + J.Staal + Seabrook for Crosby? The way I see it even if all 3 of our building blocks hit their ceilings, I'd still take McDavid pretty easily. When you factor in how much more likely McDavid is to hit his ceiling compared to our 3, its not even close. If even one of our guys busts or doesn't live up to expectations its the steal of the decade.

Even if you want to get super realistic and get all "McDavid won't even be close to Crosby level", I'd take Stamkos, Seguin, Tavares over those 3, even though McDavid should be better by all accounts. Unless you're really confident that Strome is going to turn into a Towes clone, Reilly turns into Keith, and Nylander turns into a Giroux, McDavids an easy call. As much as I like both Reilly and Nylander, I can't reasonably expect them both to be top 5 at their position.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
So looking forward past the draft, if this is indeed a tear down rebuild with Kessel/phaneuf/lupul/bozak gone, who do you guys see the Leafs signing as temporary placeholders?

I'd look for a few more signings like Raymond/Santorelli/Winnik that we can flip at the deadline. Maybe Jagr if he's still capable? We can sign them to 1.5-2x what they're worth on a one year deal to reach the floor and retain 50% when we move them to contenders. Pretty safe way to replenish a couple 2nds and 3rds, we're overdue for a Subban/Bergeron level pick in that range. That or at least a top goalie prospect.

Taking a quick look these are some vets they could add as character/play the right way types

Overpay them to come and would be easier for guys that have already won the cup

Paul Martin
Danny Briere
Beauchemin
Upshall
Zuccarello
Barret Jackman
Justin Williams
Timonen
Erskine
Cleary
Soderberg
Malhotra

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Either that or taking some high priced players that may need a change of scenery off a team's hands for a premium whilst giving away scraps.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Would you trade Kessel + J.Staal + Seabrook for Crosby? The way I see it even if all 3 of our building blocks hit their ceilings, I'd still take McDavid pretty easily. When you factor in how much more likely McDavid is to hit his ceiling compared to our 3, its not even close. If even one of our guys busts or doesn't live up to expectations its the steal of the decade.

I don't share your opinion. I would sooner be the Blackhawks or Kings then the Pens or Caps

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Potential UFAs: Lubomir Visnovsky, Erik Cole, Jaret Stoll, Justin Williams, Robyn Regher, Joel Ward, Tomas Kopecky, Mike Green, Jiri Tlusty, Matt Belesky, Mark Letestu, Marcel Goc, Max Lapierre, Steve Downie, Andrew Desjardins, Joakim Lindstrom

My targets: Joel Ward, Matt Belesky, Mike Green, Max Lapierre, Steve Downie, Andrew Desjardins, Joakim Lindstrom

If the Leafs are gonna suck, at least make them entertaining. 4th line of goons, 3rd line of pests/rats and then some offensively gifted guys elsewhere sprinkled in with some workmen.

With that said, I hope they sign nobody, and if they do, I hope it's one year deals only.

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Either that or taking some high priced players that may need a change of scenery off a team's hands for a premium whilst giving away scraps.

Totally agreed. I'd look at taking guys with a year or two left on their deals back from contending teams for other assets. Would help the rebuild nicely.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

We'll likely need to aim for older guys, or secondary/tertiary guys, and overpay slightly in both cases to get them. Hard to convince players to come to a bottoming out team.

Dmen:
Oduya
Jackman
Zidlicky
Regehr
McQuaid
etc

Centres:
Horcoff
Fleischmann
Matthias
Stoll
Kopecky
etc

Wingers:
Glencross
Erat
Stewart
Stafford
Williams
Fehr
etc

The names I don't think we have much shot at?
Mike Green
Boedker
Vermette
Frolik
Zuccarello
Beleskey
Martin
Ehrhoff
etc

These guys will get paid regardless of where they go (most likely), and will likely target contenders, rising young teams, etc.

Very thin free agent class now that I actually look through it.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
the other thing to consider is targeting players from system you think they'd want to recreate here

i.e. Det, St Louis, LA, Bos

a lot of these players they'll be competing with contending teams
player will have to choose less money at a chance to win or more money to be a part of rebuilding this franchise

after you move the phanuef and kessel contracts, overpaying isn't really an issue

don't know why they would target anyone like Flash, Stewart, Erat, Green

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
I see a few buy low sell high 1yr deals on that list. Lots of dudes there needing to prove their value and tteams won't throw mulmulti year deals at

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
We'll likely need to aim for older guys, or secondary/tertiary guys, and overpay slightly in both cases to get them. Hard to convince players to come to a bottoming out team.

Dmen:
Oduya
Jackman
Zidlicky
Regehr
McQuaid
etc

Centres:
Horcoff
Fleischmann
Matthias
Stoll
Kopecky
etc

Wingers:
Glencross
Erat
Stewart
Stafford
Williams
Fehr
etc

The names I don't think we have much shot at?
Mike Green
Boedker
Vermette
Frolik
Zuccarello
Beleskey
Martin
Ehrhoff
etc

These guys will get paid regardless of where they go (most likely), and will likely target contenders, rising young teams, etc.

Very thin free agent class now that I actually look through it.

Just the bolded for me. Don't want to take positions away from guys already on the team who'll still be here next year

ChillyPalmer

Apr 9, 2012
Antarctica
Nothing more then 1-2 year deals.

And if Ferraro is right, and someone is willing to part with a second round pick, or B prospect for Polak, then ****ing do it.

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario

Even if you want to get super realistic and get all "McDavid won't even be close to Crosby level", I'd take Stamkos, Seguin, Tavares over those 3, even though McDavid should be better by all accounts. Unless you're really confident that Strome is going to turn into a Towes clone, Reilly turns into Keith, and Nylander turns into a Giroux, McDavids an easy call. As much as I like both Reilly and Nylander, I can't reasonably expect them both to be top 5 at their position.

I actually would take a team with Staal, Seabrook, and Kessel over a team with only Crosby.

JMcLeaf

I wouldn't mind bringing in Matthias, Fleishmann and Mcquaid (esp if we move Polak) on 1-yr deals.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
In complete agreement.

Another deal proposed/ accepted by at least some part of the other involved Fanbase is
Phaneuf to Anaheim for

Theodore, 1st, Stoner

with some variability on pieces like DSP/Etem, Bourque as a cap dump, and retention.

If both those deals went down I'd be quite happy going into the draft with

10th-20th (FLA), and two picks between 25-30 plus Theodore and Leipsic in the system and Huberdeau with Petrovic on the roster.

can you imagine if the leafs were able to move both kessel and phaneuf.

kessel = huberdeau+petrovic+1st
phaneuf with 20% retained ($1.4 million x 6 years) = theodore+etem stoner+1st

jvr-bozak-lupul
huberdeau-kadri-etem
komorov-holland-panik
xxxxx-carrick-clarkson

rielly-polak
gardiner-stoner
percy-robidas

+ 4 1st rounders.:amazed: in a quality draft.

forward prospects: strome/marner+nylander+brown
defensive prospects: petrovic+theodore+finn+loov+granberg

we would be in good shape and the rebuild wouldnt take 5 years imo.

Taking a quick look these are some vets they could add as character/play the right way types

Overpay them to come and would be easier for guys that have already won the cup

Paul Martin
Danny Briere
Beauchemin
Upshall
Zuccarello
Barret Jackman
Justin Williams
Timonen
Erskine
Cleary
Soderberg
Malhotra

no one worth overpaying for imo. if we can sign someone on a one year deal like winnik, santorelli, booth, it could be worth it but definitely no one there worth overpaying,

Lifeisnice

Apr 23, 2014
Canada
can you imagine if the leafs were able to move both kessel and phaneuf.

kessel = huberdeau+petrovic+1st
phaneuf with 20% retained ($1.4 million x 6 years) = theodore+etem stoner+1st

jvr-bozak-lupul
huberdeau-kadri-etem
komorov-holland-panik
xxxxx-carrick-clarkson

rielly-polak
gardiner-stoner
percy-robidas

+ 4 1st rounders.:amazed: in a quality draft.

forward prospects: strome/marner+nylander+brown
defensive prospects: petrovic+theodore+finn+loov+granberg

we would be in good shape and the rebuild wouldnt take 5 years imo.

no one worth overpaying for imo. if we can sign someone on a one year deal like winnik, santorelli, booth, it could be worth it but definitely no one there worth overpaying,

Like Percy, I think Petro is NHL-ready now. In fact, Percy - Petro could be a well balanced, effective young 3rd pairing. Good hockey sense, good mix of puck movement and physicality, LD and RD. In 2-3 years, that could be our above-average #3/4 pairing.

Maybe we can ship out Robidas, or rotate him in as the 7th D to keep his legs fresh

Reilly - Polak
Gardiner - Stoner
Percy - Petro/Robi

Pretty bad right now, but lots of potential there

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton

No, you have THE building block.

Any GM in the league does Rielly, Nylander and our #1 for the #1 overall. You can find another Rielly and Nylander but you'll never acquire a McDavid except for in the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig