FA/Trade Thread 14-15 Season V.19 - Bernier extension coming soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
I read the Habs were looking for a top 6 player and Lupul would fill that option, rumours are Thomas and Eller and if Winnik goes too along with Lupul hopefully another 1st rd pick that would be 29th so we would have 3 firsts 30, 29 and at the moment 5th

Last four picks go to the semi-finalists, so Nashville's could easily be a 26th even if they stay in top spot - similar is true for Montreal.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Devane and Biggs aren't "crap" in the sense Ross, McLaren and Orr are. Devane may challenge for a spot on the 4th line, and Biggs still has another 2 or 3 years before we give up on him, and even if he doesn't get better, he's still able to fight for a 4th line spot in the future. Ross would have too if not for the PED's.

Now it's not great, but it's hardly crap if they become effective 4th liners who are able to play 8-12 tough minutes a night and play a shutdown role. Neither are black holes offensively given the shot either. I think they can become good 4th liners, which isn't great, especially for their draft positions, but it's not "crap".

But I agree, taking those NCAA players and keeping them there was a good move, especially since we probably won't have many spots open in the Marlies after we acquire some good prospects. Though we may purge some of our old prospects too (like Devane and Biggs), so it's really unknown.

Does new regime mean everyone, including prospects from the old regime, are on the hot seat?

Yeah, but neither was Broll or Ashton. Still, trimming the fat on our prospect list is something we needed to do. Especially if we start looking at NCAA free agents again (and there was some speculation we were interested in a couple players).

Yeah, I'd say so. We're transitioning into a whole new way of drafting and developing under Hunter, Dubas and Shanny. They value different things than Burke, and Nonis did.

We're going to see more risks taken based on skill, rather than try and draft a 4th line guy with limited upside.

One thing Hunter likes to do to, is take chances on fallers. Not necessarily in the top rounds, but later in the draft. If there is a kid supposed to go in the 3rd/4th, and he falls to the 6th let's say, Hunter would be more inclined to pick him, than say, Burke would have.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
I actually didn't mind going NCAA heavy last draft.

We have a lot of crap in our system that we need to skim our (Ross, Devane, Biggs, etc) and then players like Orr and McLaren taking up spots. NCAA players have 4 seasons before we need to sign them instead of 3.

So it gives us some extra time to really clean out the fridge a bit.

I thought you only got two years for CHL players before they went back in the draft? Or did that change?

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Not a fan of MTL trades unless it includes their 1st, MTL seems stingy with trades, i dont see them as a real contender yet either, just a solid playoff team, they've had piss poor offence lately and have relied alot on price.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
I wouldn't mind keeping Lupul for now. The guy plays hard when he's healthy. And the fact that he isn't usually healthy helps the tank effort. I think Lupul's value would actually be higher when his contract is almost up; i.e. if he's healthy for the last 1/2 year of his contract leading in the playoffs, teams may pay a lot for some cheap scoring help for the playoffs.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I wouldn't mind keeping Lupul for now. The guy plays hard when he's healthy. And the fact that he isn't usually healthy helps the tank effort. I think Lupul's value would actually be higher when his contract is almost up; i.e. if he's healthy for the last 1/2 year of his contract leading in the playoffs, teams may pay a lot for some cheap scoring help for the playoffs.

He'll also be 34 at that time. I'd rather unload the contract now before age and even more injuries further cripple his value

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I really hope this doesn't mean that Phaneuf is the one they're thinking of keeping.

Yeah if the rumours are true (think it was ChuckW who implied something) that Dion and Lupul will not be in the same locker room again and Lupul is on his way out it could mean they are thinking of keeping Dion. :(

But it could just mean they are planning to offload as many veterans as possible for picks and prospects and that Dion will be dealt with in the summer but they easier move Lupul this season?

Time will tell.

Tyler Biggs*

You guys will think I am nuts...I would keep Winnik....He has heart passion and grit.........Something this team will desperately need. They need to try and resign him this offseason if they trade him before the deadline.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
You guys will think I am nuts...I would keep Winnik....He has heart passion and grit.........Something this team will desperately need. They need to try and resign him this offseason if they trade him before the deadline.

No reason at all to keep him for the rest of this season. We should however of course try and resign him in the off season. But who knows if he is interested in signing for a rebuilding team? But then it will always come down to the dollars and term and who is offering him the most. He is not some one you want to spend to much cash on but at the same time he is exactly the kind of player you want playing for you, rebuilding or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad