FA/Trade Thread 14-15 Season V.18 - Open For Business. 2 down many to go ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

buttman*

Hopefully we can trade the following:

Bozak -- 1st
Winnik -- 2nd
Robidas -- 4th
Lupul -- 3rd (sell low to get out of that contract)
Holzner -- 7th

Would trade Polak if the offer was a 1st plus a prospect.

buttman*

Most likely. They did the same thing with Burke when he was canned, they kept him on as an "advisor" but that was mainly to save face and still give him a job. I wouldn't be shocked if Shanahan kept Carlyle on as an "advisor" until the season is over, this way the money they shelled out to him isn't going to waste.

Tank Advisor.

Randy, seriously, please let us know how you lost all those winnable hockey games.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Hopefully we can trade the following:

Bozak -- 1st
Winnik -- 2nd
Robidas -- 4th
Lupul -- 3rd (sell low to get out of that contract)
Holzner -- 7th

Would trade Polak if the offer was a 1st plus a prospect.

Sell low on Lupul = a 3rd, but Bozak = a 1st lol??

The sooner people get off this idea that Bozak is going to fetch a 1st, the better suited people will be for the inevitably disappointing return the player with return.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I didn't see this posted yesterday but is Carlyle still on the payroll.

Nick Cotsonika @cotsonika · 17h 17 hours ago
Randy Carlyle in Anaheim tonight. Listed as working for Leafs but said he's just watching the game.

Could he be scouting players in ANA?

well until the end of the season he'll be on the payroll (because of his extenstion) so I would imagine because he's paid - he would have to identify himself as a Leafs employee. (to prevent 'tampering' even if he was just watching the game) like he can't go up and be all "Sooo...."

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Per Site Rules:

15) Outlandish claims of inside information: This is subjective and will be at the discretion of the moderator after consulting with other posters and other administrators. Deference will be given to veteran members who have established credibility. If you're an insider, contact us with proof BEFORE you post.

As there is no record of an earlier vetting by anyone in Administration, we have to adhere to our policy.

We will check with former moderators to figure out what happened, as the onus is on us in this matter, if the process was followed but not documented. Until then, information has to be treated as speculatory.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
If we were in a position to draft 4-5th I wouldn't do this. Don't really care if it's Mcdavid or not, you need more then one piece to build a team. Look at the Pens, they've built their team around 2 of the games best, and they still aren't really a consistent threat because of how thin the rest of the line up has to be to accommodate Crosby/Malkin/Letang.

Strome/Nylander/Rielly >>>>> Mcdavid, for me anyways.

To me, Mcdavid isn't worth undoing the work this team has done to a quire some high end pieces. Even if this happens, we'd erase the last 3 years of progress and have to seriously suck for 3-5 more years to get a core going, where as now we actually have something in place.

Last edited:

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
I have to agree.

Its unfortunate that Leaf managment couldnt identify this team required a rebuild sooner and tanked this season.

I just dont see the impact next season could have outside of the Top 2-3 picks.

i was saying at last draft kessel for jones and 11th (which i thought nsh would have done at that point)

Come away with two picks in that draft , rielly and jones, and most likely a top 3 pick in this strong draft

Lifeisnice

Apr 23, 2014
Canada
i was saying at last draft kessel for jones and 11th (which i thought nsh would have done at that point)

Come away with two picks in that draft , rielly and jones, and most likely a top 3 pick in this strong draft

Yeah, would have been a great return but the Leaf's weren't ready to rebuild yet. There was an idea that with more vet presence and puck possession then the leafs could continue the previous season's early success without collapsing 2/3 into the year.

Reilly - Jones would have been great

Hotel Mario

Feb 4, 2013
Thunder Bay
There is no better piece to build a team around than McDavid, and we are extremely fortunate as fans because the Leafs have tanked in a draft year which is incredibly talented at the top (and actually kept their 1st round pick!!!!!!).

But the Leafs need a TEAM, and Mcdavid does not make the TEAM. (Name team with #1C here) is going to need much more than their #1C to win the Stanley Cup. A legitimate top pairing and starting goalie are required as well, and all members of the team play a part including the bottom lines, depth players, and minor league callups. The Leafs are riddled with holes and their depth at all positions on the main roster and in the prospect pool cannot be rated realistically anything higher than a "C".

My point is that Leafs need ASSETS in all positions more than anything. To acquire Connor Mcdavid with Nylander + 1st (5th overall) costs Toronto 2 blue chip assets, to get only a single blue chip albeit a very shiny one.

I voted too difficult to decide, and glad I'm not the one making the decision.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If we were in a position to draft 4-5th I wouldn't do this. Don't really care if it's Mcdavid or not, you need more then one piece to build a team. Look at the Pens, they've built their team around 2 of the games best, and they still aren't really a consistent threat because of how thin the rest of the line up has to be to accommodate Crosby/Malkin/Letang.

Strome/Nylander/Rielly >>>>> Mcdavid, for me anyways.

It's hard because if Nylander turns into a 70pt guy and so is Strome and Kadri eventually takes over the 3rd line with Gauthier on 4th yo have to wonder is that 3 lines of production worth McDavid.

Not an easy call at all. We have an opportunity to relatively slowly build a team where McDavid will be expected to start off the bat onto a crap team.

Coatsy79

May 14, 2011
Uk
With 3 first round picks in the ranges of 3-7, 10-15 and 25-30 the Leafs could really do some interesting things in this deep of a draft.

IF Kessel is moved, I hope its this offseason for a pick in this years draft and I would hope the Leafs use ALL 3 picks and not package any.

I absolutely agree with this

How often do we hear "the leafs would've drafted (insert good player here) if we'd kept our pick/not packaged our pick/not traded it"

We should hold onto all our own 1st and 2nd round picks for the time being, draft BPA and hope for some luck

RLF

May 5, 2014
If Dallas is interested in Dion...which is a destination I have also mentioned a few times. I do believe any trade with Dion where we acquire good picks/prospects will require we take back salary(not in good way).

How about

Phaneuf, 2015 3rd

for

Hemsky, Ritchie, A.Peters, 2015 2nd

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
It's hard because if Nylander turns into a 70pt guy and so is Strome and Kadri eventually takes over the 3rd line with Gauthier on 4th yo have to wonder is that 3 lines of production worth McDavid.

Not an easy call at all. We have an opportunity to relatively slowly build a team where McDavid will be expected to start off the bat onto a crap team.

Yep exactly, and I even saw people throwing in Rielly as well, which is ridiculous. Strome and Nylander have potential to be serious building blocks, and I'm not sure if that's worth it for maybe 20 more points a season from one player.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
hopefully this is one of those polls that dubas was referencing

ive said it before, this team really has two pieces moving forward, Rielly and Nylander

so even if you give up those pieces to get McDavid they really aren't setting themselves back that far

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Only way I move Kessel to Florida:

Huberdeau + 2015 1st + 2015 2nd + Ian McCoshen/Kyle Rau

OR

Huberdeau + 2015 1st + Michael Matheson (something from Leafs end going back with Kessel)

I may sound crazy but hey, there's no rush to move Kessel right now just because fans want to see movement, and I'd actually prefer if the option of moving Kessel wasn't even explored until after a) Nonis is moved out and b) we see what he does without Bozak, Phaneuf and some other pieces around him

I'm a fan of keeping him and then finding another piece to take over the core of the team as he moves off into a secondary core role. I think he'd flourish.

Lifeisnice

Apr 23, 2014
Canada
If Dallas is interested in Dion...which is a destination I have also mentioned a few times. I do believe any trade with Dion where we acquire good picks/prospects will require we take back salary(not in good way).

How about

Phaneuf, 2015 3rd

for

Hemsky, Ritchie, Peters, 2015 2nd

I want Oleksiak coming back in any deal with Dallas for Phaneuf.

I know Ritchie has accomplished more so far, but Oleksiak is a giant with decent skating and a booming shot. Really want a prospect of that type in our D-pool

RLF

May 5, 2014
I want Oleksiak coming back in any deal with Dallas for Phaneuf.

I know Ritchie has accomplished more so far, but Oleksiak is a giant with decent skating and a booming shot. Really want a prospect of that type in our D-pool

?????That is exactly what Alex Peters is...A huge D-man with good skating and shut-down potential and only 18.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I'd take the Hub + Petro + 1st deal easily. Trochek is a decent piece but Petro is a RHD and I like his game. Physical but can move the puck.

That's a young star + good prospect + 1st. Hub replaces Kessel in the top 6 immediately, Petro would be our best RHD prospect and would be a natural compliment to our upcoming puck-moving LHD prospects. 1st can be a great prospect in the 15 - 20 range like J. Roy or C. White

In complete agreement.

Another deal proposed/ accepted by at least some part of the other involved Fanbase is
Phaneuf to Anaheim for

Theodore, 1st, Stoner

with some variability on pieces like DSP/Etem, Bourque as a cap dump, and retention.

If both those deals went down I'd be quite happy going into the draft with

10th-20th (FLA), and two picks between 25-30 plus Theodore and Leipsic in the system and Huberdeau with Petrovic on the roster.

Lifeisnice

Apr 23, 2014
Canada
Only way I move Kessel to Florida:

Huberdeau + 2015 1st + 2015 2nd + Ian McCoshen/Kyle Rau

OR

Huberdeau + 2015 1st + Michael Matheson (something from Leafs end going back with Kessel)

I may sound crazy but hey, there's no rush to move Kessel right now just because fans want to see movement, and I'd actually prefer if the option of moving Kessel wasn't even explored until after a) Nonis is moved out and b) we see what he does without Bozak, Phaneuf and some other pieces around him

I'm a fan of keeping him and then finding another piece to take over the core of the team as he moves off into a secondary core role. I think he'd flourish.

Matheson looks great, but I'd also accept Petrovic. Top end potential is lower on Petro than Matheson IMO but Petro is more physical and also a RHD, which our prospect pool could really use. I think Fla would also be more open to moving Petro than Matheson, given their top 4 RD is locked up (Ekblad & Gudbranson)

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON

How about

Phaneuf, 2015 3rd

for

Hemsky, Ritchie, A.Peters, 2015 2nd

No need for the 3rd going back.

I mean, I'd do it if that's the best offer, but I really think there will be better offers come the offseason anyway. Whoever gets Phaneuf will get him at a steal of deal and will end up being very happy about it. He's gonna flourish in a market where he's not captain and where there's no pressure.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
hopefully this is one of those polls that dubas was referencing

ive said it before, this team really has two pieces moving forward, Rielly and Nylander

so even if you give up those pieces to get McDavid they really aren't setting themselves back that far

At worst we set ourselves back 2 years. Even then McDavid has Crosby potential and that is a franchise changer right there. Rielly or Nylander or our 1st (unless we win the lottery) won't be franchise players.

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
In complete agreement.

Another deal proposed/ accepted by at least some part of the other involved Fanbase is
Phaneuf to Anaheim for

Theodore, 1st, Stoner

with some variability on pieces like DSP/Etem, Bourque as a cap dump, and retention.

If both those deals went down I'd be quite happy going into the draft with

10th-20th (FLA), and two picks between 25-30 plus Theodore and Leipsic in the system and Huberdeau with Petrovic on the roster.

If the Leafs are taking back Stoner, I'd hold out for Ritchie instead of Theodore and try to somehow finagle Etem in any deal.

Leafs gotta try to snake out potential top-6 pieces on contending teams who just aren't getting opportunities.

Lifeisnice

Apr 23, 2014
Canada
?????That is exactly what Alex Peters is...A huge D-man with good skating and shut-down potential and only 18.

Oleksiak is much bigger than Peters, and has a higher ceiling imo. I think Oleksiak could be a top 4 Dman, while Peters tops out on bottom pairing. I think having that size on the top 4 would be intimidating. Flatten guys and have a really long reach, a Chara-lite. Obv, this is best-case scenerio but I think the chance is better than having Brett Ritche and Alex Peters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad